Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
December 18, 2018, 08:48:49 AM

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JEEPIN Js TJ Build  (Read 9501 times)
JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Richmond, VA
« on: March 08, 2011, 03:51:12 PM »

ok I guess its time to make a build thread.

My parents bought this 97 TJ from Manassas Chrysler/Jeep in July of 2008 to be my 1st vehicle. I can't thank them enough for that. It was about 6 months before I would get my license. Here's a pic of it after getting washed- (sorry for the bad cell pic, thats what a lot of them will be in this thread)

Once I got my license in February 2009 I got a job also. I started researching lifts, armor, etc so I could start to wheel the jeep. Fast forward to November 2009 and I had enough money and so I bought a rough country 4" x series lift with all adjustable CA's and TB's. 1.25" bl and 1"mml as well. 5 35x12.5 km2s and 5 15x8 soft 8s. The tires were backordered so I had to wait about 2 months to get them. My dad didn't think we could install it so he said as my christmas present he would pay to have it installed. Once the tires came the lift was done in Jan 2010.

Over Christmas break I had made some more money from work and so I ordered front and rear bumpers from Eddie (BESRK)/Ground Pounder Fab.

After the lift was installed I obviously had vibes which I knew I would and so I bought a sye/ Tom Woodscv shaft. Again my dad didn't think we could install it so I took it to C&P Offroad and they did it.  Then about a week later after the 2 ft snow storm in Feb 2010 I went down and met Eddie and picked up my bumpers. I highly reccomend using his business Ground Pounder Fab hes a great guy and will build you top notch bumpers at the cheapest prices.

Some time around then I ordered a Rokmen steering box skid and a front d30 riddler cover

I think it was about April 2010 I painted my faded grey fender flares.

Installed  Cobra 75 cb that has all of the controls in the mic so I could easily lock it up when doorless/topless.
Then in May I went to the NVJA show and shine and the week after went on the NTJR to flagpole

A couple weeks after that I went on a peters mill ride

After that ride I ordered an engine skid.  Even though you don’t really need it for trails like flagpole and peters mill, this should be 1 of your 1st mods. I ordered the UCF aluminum skid

Next mod was to bedline the tub. I did this with monstaliner and rolled it on.
Tub stripped and vacuumed/washed

Sanded

After wiping down with MEK

And its on

I didn’t do the best job ever and theres a couple runs and corners where it was hard to get with the brush but it does what I want. When it rains or theres mud in the floorboards I can pull the plugs and wash/drain it out.

Next was my 2nd big purchase for my Jeep. I ordered a ford 8.8 rear axle and a hp30 front axle with 4.56 gears from East Coast Gear Supply. They have great customer service and I’d highly recommend them for any drivetrain needs. Chase will give you a good price. I couldn’t afford lockers at the time so I got them open/open. Also ordered lubelockers for both and a UCF cover for the 8.8

Well I tried to do the axle swap of the 8.8 sometime in late July 2010 but when I went to put the jeep down on the Craftsman jack stands, the jackstands failed and the jeep fell so then I decided I would wait until after Camp Heep to swap both axles.

Went on a night ride to flagpole about 2 weeks before CH.

Then came Camp Heep at Rausch Creek. I went in a group and we ran all blue trails. It was a great time and it really got me hooked on wheeling. After that trip I loved rocks and I couldn’t wait to get back and wheel thru more stuff like that.

The weekend after CH I swapped the 8.8 in without any major issues.

The illness called a D35

After swapping the 8.8 I ordered a set of Savvy chromoly rock sliders for rocker protection and because the tube steps that were on there hang so low that they get hung up in the rocks. Also ordered currie HD steering from Savvy at the same time to be put in with my hp30. Sorry no good pics of just the rocksers

It was a few months before I had time to put the hp30 in with school starting but I finally did In Oct 2010 on my birthday.

After both axles were in I missed the NOVA Fall Krawl to the cove because I got the hp30 in the weekend before the ride and then I couldn’t make the thanksgiving recovery ride to RC because of work.
I thought I was going to start saving for a sport bike for Summer 2011 so I didn’t buy any more mods really.

Next ride was a snow trip to Rausch in January 2011. It was a good ride with about 6-8” of snow everywhere and some big drifts in spots. I had to pull a 2wd tow rig into his parking spot in the RC lot so you know it was gonna be a good day.

I hit the rear driver corner of my hardtop on a tree when I slid sideways off a rock.

After that ride the money I was saving started burning a hole in my pocket so I scrapped the bike idea and bought an aussie locker for the 30, RCV shafts, warn m8000, currie antirock, and alloy usa outer tube seals. This was all in February 2011

Antirock installed

M8000 installed

Aussie in the carrier

RCV shafts/ alloy usa tube seals in

Next was a NOVA ride to Crozet in Feb 2011 and that was an awesome time. Crozet has everything to offer and youll have a good time there no matter what. They have all of the rocks you could want to wheel on. I loved the place..took some damage and got close to rolling it but its all fun. I was also pleased with how the antirock and the new aussie worked. Definite improvement with the front locked and more stable with the antirock.

Here’s the dented windshield frame and the cracked hardtop. I need to stop wheeling with the hardtop…

And so that brings us up to present time. Things on my to do list are to order a TT and GTS

Will be going with the UCF ultra high clearance aluminum TT and the Savvy GTS.

After those 2 things I want to lock the 8.8 and maybe throw the super 88 kit in it. I’ll either do a Detroit or ARB. The gears that are in there now have a 5 year warranty from ECGS though and they were just set up less than 10k miles ago so itll kind of suck to have to void that and  have to pay labor to have the new locker installed but itll really help the offroad performance.
Then really all I can see right now is a full cage (probably have to get aftermarket seats too then) and rear corners.
The thing about getting the cage is I still need to be street legal for now and I need atleast a hardtop to fit since its my dd for now. I don’t really see it becoming a trail only rig until I get out of college and can buy a diesel truck/trailer to tow it. But ive been looking at different cage designs a lot and researching so that may happen sometime this summer. May have Chris at Rock Works Fab from RCPFA build it for me. And it will definitely be tied into the frame at the 6 spots.

Ill either be going to Penn State next year or VT so not too far from RC and Crozet, etc
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 05:06:47 PM by JEEPIN J »

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
crazyskier92
Forum User
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 04:59:17 PM »

I would also look into steve at extreme Jeeps. He does some awesome work and is pretty cheap.
STEVE JOHNSON
7325 Chapel Heights Road, Fredericksburg, VA 22407
(540) 226-1580   Steve@jeepsxtreme.com

JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Richmond, VA
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:19:29 PM »

Yeah I'm not close to getting it yet just researching different designs but ill look around at different people to see who has the best work and price. Thanks though I'll make sure to get a quote from Steve.
I would also look into steve at extreme Jeeps. He does some awesome work and is pretty cheap.
STEVE JOHNSON
7325 Chapel Heights Road, Fredericksburg, VA 22407
(540) 226-1580   Steve@jeepsxtreme.com

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
Blue02
Forum User
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 07:24:29 PM »

Nice job man! I know you had a few nice things on the Jeep but when reading through the build thread saw that you really have a nice rig there! I am surprised and kinda jealous...well just cause my first Jeep wasnt this nice Smile Keep it coming, good job!

2002 TJ, RE 3.5 Super Flex, 1.25 JKS BL, MML, 285/75 Terra Grapplers, Smittybuilt Stinger

JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Richmond, VA
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 09:16:56 PM »

Nice job man! I know you had a few nice things on the Jeep but when reading through the build thread saw that you really have a nice rig there! I am surprised and kinda jealous...well just cause my first Jeep wasnt this nice Smile Keep it coming, good job!
Thanks man i appreciate it. I just figured ive had the jeep long enough and enough stuff on it to keep track of it.

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Richmond, VA
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 01:04:42 PM »

I ordered the UCF ¼” alum 1” deep tt today and the Savvy gts. Ill get them on sometime soon after the March RC run. Unless the tt comes in this week I might try to put it on next Saturday. Also got my tree saver and snatch block for the winch a few days ago.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:18:12 PM by JEEPIN J »

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Richmond, VA
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 06:46:02 PM »

Well I was going to put the gts on tomorrow since it was going to come in today and the tt not until next week, but UPS got delayed and its not coming until next week now. Theyll both go on the weekend after RC hopefully.

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Richmond, VA
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 09:55:15 PM »

Got the savvy GTS today

I'll paint it this week

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
ltdanyj
Salesman of the Year
There's blood EVERYWHERE!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 07:29:46 AM »

I'll paint it this week

PAINT?!!?!? That sucker is aluminum!!! Polish that mutha!!!!

Nothing at the moment... be patient
JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Richmond, VA
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 10:08:02 AM »

Whats a good brand polish to use?

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
ltdanyj
Salesman of the Year
There's blood EVERYWHERE!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »

Best stuff I've found to start with is a good rouge from a welding supply store... once you have a good finish, you can get it real nice with some Mother's or Alumabrite....

An orbital buffer is your friend Smile

Nothing at the moment... be patient
stoney04tj
"Rando" The Internet Guy
Forum User
makin panties sandy since 1984
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 10:30:12 AM »

the ucf bellt skid is sweet! super happy with mine. i do wish i picked up the alum. version, i really wanna cut weight down at this point.

this place is like woodberry, looks good from the outside but when you look behind the curtain there are heads in jars...... Smile

RIP TSgt. David Thrasher (A.K.A. Ramphog)

RIP kma, miss ya little buddy
JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Richmond, VA
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 10:46:02 AM »

Yeah that's why I'm going with the alum armor so I don't have to put as much stress on everything it does cost a bit more though

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
stoney04tj
"Rando" The Internet Guy
Forum User
makin panties sandy since 1984
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 01:32:26 PM »

what was it $30-40 more for the alum? if i wasn't always on a budget i would have pull the trigger on that one.

this place is like woodberry, looks good from the outside but when you look behind the curtain there are heads in jars...... Smile

RIP TSgt. David Thrasher (A.K.A. Ramphog)

RIP kma, miss ya little buddy
charlestrm
Forum User
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 01:41:21 PM »

I think you need a cage.....a A to z already fab'd cage :-)

WWW Logged

Click Pic To Check Out CAVE CRAWLERS
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: