Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
October 22, 2014, 06:04:11 PM

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virginia Safey Inspection Manual  (Read 3926 times)
lynskynbnd
Member 2014
Warrenton, Virginia
« on: March 21, 2011, 05:21:04 PM »

Virginia Safety Inspection Manual
This is the official document that all Virginia Safety Inspectors use for Va Safety inpections.

http;//leg1.state.va.us
  Follow these links:
    -Virginia Administrative Code-
        -Table of Contents-
            -Title 19 Public Safety-
               -Agency 30 Department of State Police-
                    -Chapter 70 Motor Vehicle Safety Inspection Rules and Regulations-
Sections 80-320 are for cars and light trucks.

Happy Motoring,
Bryan Folts

WWW Logged

99XJ, 4.0, AX15, 33's, locked both ends, driven daily, and wheeled often.
87YJ, 4.0 AX15, 31's, Monstaliner in and out
Happy Motoring!
www.offcambercrawlers.com 2014 President
ASE Certified Master Auto Tech Grab a Wrench!
www.facebook.com/pages/Daily-Driver-Jeep-Club/185227871501625
techman
Forum User
5 jeeps and counting
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 11:22:33 AM »

Only problem is that every inspector has his own opinion of what those rules mean. Dunno?

jeep things parts and fabrication
95 yj on 35s
88 xj on 35s, locked and lifted
90 yj mostly stock
84 cj7- future buggy
lynskynbnd
Member 2014
Warrenton, Virginia
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 11:40:14 AM »

Actually, many inspectors have the God complex. However everything in the manual is black and white. There are no grey areas. The local State Police Safety Officer, and the chain of command above him, has authority over all Inspectors. I have been a Va Safety inspector for 15 years. I can answer any questions or help solve many common Off Road vehicle problems any NoVaJeeper may have.
Happy Motoring,
Bryan Folts

WWW Logged

Happy Motoring!
micromark
Forum User
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 02:27:48 PM »

One question...are wheel spacers illegal in VA?

lynskynbnd
Member 2014
Warrenton, Virginia
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 04:09:27 PM »

Wheel spacers use to be in the inspection manual here, http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-130 .
Since they are not in the manual as an inspection item a car cannot fail for having them. That does not mean that they are legal for use in Virginia. Your best bet is to call the Va State Police to get an answer for that question.
   I believe that bolt on type adaptor/spacers are ok, but shim type spacers are not ok.
Bryan

WWW Logged

Happy Motoring!
micromark
Forum User
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 04:20:52 PM »

Thanks for the link and the info Bryan. Smile

sicjeep
Forum User
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 07:33:13 PM »

i was told spacers are legal because they are no different than DRW adapters on the front of trucks from the factory.

///BHRpowered
Member 2014
Renegade Super Villan
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 08:12:55 PM »

Actually, many inspectors have the God complex. However everything in the manual is black and white. There are no grey areas. The local State Police Safety Officer, and the chain of command above him, has authority over all Inspectors. I have been a Va Safety inspector for 15 years. I can answer any questions or help solve many common Off Road vehicle problems any NoVaJeeper may have.
Happy Motoring,
Bryan Folts

Downloaded and saved every link. I wish the code wasn't so completed as their are many grey areas. My millenia has at least 8 I can think of. For example, if you have clear turn signal housings that originally had yellow turn signals but now have red - yet still in the same factory housing unaltered where does that go? you changed the color but is still DOT legal.

What about areas that are upgraded, but *could* fail because they were replaced with non oem spec parts?

Why do some safety inspectors insist on looking under the hood when there isn't anything safety related?

What about HID retrofits? using all 100% OEM dot approved components that when tested do meet all guidelines for candle power, beam, cutoff, aim etc

Why is a repair done by a DIY using the same parts and same method not approved but the exact same thing done at a dealer is ok (i.e the pathfinder exhaust repair exception)

What about things like window tint which are clearly a safety concern and DOT violation - yet its not part of inspection?

Why, please please tell me why if a dealer installs a brush guard as a dealer option its legal to pass, BUT if I install the EXACT same part, with no modification what so ever it results in a fail (same applies to tail light guards apparently)

What about LED's? You can buy the ricer ones which don't work but say "dot approved" on the package so there legal, though they've never been tested in conjunction with that housing. Buy the ones that do work and you fail? Same with license plate LED's. Upgrading to plain white LED's is suppose to be a fail. I mean really I'm making it easier for police to see my license plate using products and styles approved for and becoming OEM standard

And finally, why are inspectors now required to remove the wheels to check brake pads if there is more then enough room to check the pad depth, inner and outer, without removal? Inspector failed me because I didn't have the wheel locks to remove wheels - but I also had 8 piston brembo big brakes and wide open wheels allowing perfect access, same as the last 10 years.

WWW Logged

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement I would be unstoppable" - ///BHRpowered
"Watching the two black Millenias disappear over the horizon in front of the helplessly outraced Chevy was a treat for the X-man" - Xedosman
"I am not looking to take over the world like BHR" - cwkann
RedJK
Forum User
Alexandria, VA
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 08:35:56 PM »

Good info about the wheel spacers!  Thumbs Up

TF 2.5" Coil Lift, Bilstein 5100 Shocks | Duratrac 315/70/17s | Spidertrax Wheel Spacers | LoD Front Bumper w/skid | XRC Rear Bumper w/carrier | Poison Spyder Evap Canister Skid | Rancho Oil Pan Skid | Riddler Diff Covers | Hella Black Magics | Smittybilt XRC 8 Comp Winch
lynskynbnd
Member 2014
Warrenton, Virginia
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 09:25:30 PM »

Hi BHR Powered,
Good, and common questions! I still maintain that there are no grey areas. I think the links will answer your questions and concerns.

Downloaded and saved every link. I wish the code wasn't so completed as their are many grey areas. My millenia has at least 8 I can think of. For example, if you have clear turn signal housings that originally had yellow turn signals but now have red - yet still in the same factory housing unaltered where does that go? you changed the color but is still DOT legal. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-190 SEE #8

What about areas that are upgraded, but *could* fail because they were replaced with non oem spec parts? Very unspecific.

Why do some safety inspectors insist on looking under the hood when there isn't anything safety related? Power steering fluid, Brake fluid, PS belt,  PS pump and hoses, Brake booster, Motor mounts, Emissions devices, Fuel leaks, Etc...

What about HID retrofits? using all 100% OEM dot approved components that when tested do meet all guidelines for candle power, beam, cutoff, aim etc http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-140 SEE #1

Why is a repair done by a DIY using the same parts and same method not approved but the exact same thing done at a dealer is ok (i.e the pathfinder exhaust repair exception) http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-300 Nissan Got an exception somehow. I don't make the laws, lawers do.

What about things like window tint which are clearly a safety concern and DOT violation - yet its not part of inspection? http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-210 SEE#10 &11 The shade of tint use to be in the manual about 12 years ago.

Why, please please tell me why if a dealer installs a brush guard as a dealer option its legal to pass, BUT if I install the EXACT same part, with no modification what so ever it results in a fail (same applies to tail light guards apparently) http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-140 SEE #9 I have seen many dealers install and pass the extra wire on some brush guards. They do not pass.

What about LED's? You can buy the ricer ones which don't work but say "dot approved" on the package so there legal, though they've never been tested in conjunction with that housing. Buy the ones that do work and you fail? Same with license plate LED's. Upgrading to plain white LED's is suppose to be a fail. I mean really I'm making it easier for police to see my license plate using products and styles approved for and becoming OEM standard http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-150 SEE#1 &3

And finally, why are inspectors now required to remove the wheels to check brake pads if there is more then enough room to check the pad depth, inner and outer, without removal? Inspector failed me because I didn't have the wheel locks to remove wheels - but I also had 8 piston brembo big brakes and wide open wheels allowing perfect access, same as the last 10 years.http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-80 SEE B Inspectors have ALWAYS been required to remove wheels to inspect brake linings, calipers, cylendars, drums, rotors, hardware, hoses, etc.. For the past 15 or 20 years it has been Two wheels, but it use to be only one.

Please remember that the Safety Inspection does not mean that everything on the car is legal. many of the rules are to protect the citizen and the inspector.

Happy Motoring,
Bryan

WWW Logged

Happy Motoring!
///BHRpowered
Member 2014
Renegade Super Villan
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 09:58:06 PM »

Thanks for the reply, but some areas are still up in the air, for example the older infinti FX has clear lenses yet uses red LED turn signals/brake lights? What defines lense being modified? does it mean actually modified such as replaced with aftermarket, just a covering, or customized in some manner - IE addition of rear fog lights?? My WJ has amber lenses from the factory, but I have red tint over top so its red output but uses the same clear bulb behind the lense. Never had an issue but code isn't clear on that

This is the stuff I mean
......"If the turn signal lens is clear, then the bulb shall be amber."

Then down the page
"NOTE: LED (light emitting diode) lights with a clear lens are acceptable if of an approved type. For those vehicles that are equipped with a multiple LED light (not filament burning bulbs), they will pass inspection if 50% of the diode lights are burning"
It also does not say if this applies to OEM or aftermarket LED's, does it mean the LED bulb itself of the actual housing which could alter output?
Why does it matter if their led or not? the output color would be no more distorted then amber?

Where do HID retrofits fail? most inspectors claim they are illegal and fail since they are using HID's that did not come with the car, yet the link says "The approval designation letter that must appear is DOT or SAE-H, HG, HH or HR." This would mean that HID retrofits - so long as aimmed properly cannot warrant a fail

Then the brush guard, several inspectors have told me that dealer installed brush guards and tail guards are fine, but if I do it its a fail because it counts as something in front of the headlights? I don't agree that it in anyway obstructs output like a tint or eyebrows might.

License plate lights.
"3. The vehicle is not equipped with a license plate lamp of an approved type (DOT or SAE-L) that emits a white light. "

AH HA!!!! I GOT YOU YOU SNAKE IN THE GRASS (state of va that is)
IMO this is the area where all inspectors and mechanics have a different opinion. Ok so what defines "white output" inspectors say "we'll there suppose to be yellow" but the code says white, using white LED's should be perfectly legal unless we're redefining the rainbow. Rice lights with a blue tint do not produce a white light, but LED's produce a pure white light so really any inspector who fails should be able to appeal?

And lastly about the wheels, I had a very bad experience on monday so I'm kind of touchy of the inspection topic, but even this guy said it recently changed. In 13 years and 7 cars not once has a wheel every been removed by any inspector at any location except for my ZJ where there was not enough room to get the little mirror tool thing in.

I understand you don't make the laws, it just seems that because so many areas are written in fake lawyer-political speak it gives the inspector wiggle room on some things but none of others that should be up to a mechanics judgement

Hi BHR Powered,
Good, and common questions! I still maintain that there are no grey areas. I think the links will answer your questions and concerns.

Downloaded and saved every link. I wish the code wasn't so completed as their are many grey areas. My millenia has at least 8 I can think of. For example, if you have clear turn signal housings that originally had yellow turn signals but now have red - yet still in the same factory housing unaltered where does that go? you changed the color but is still DOT legal. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-190 SEE #8

What about areas that are upgraded, but *could* fail because they were replaced with non oem spec parts? Very unspecific.

Why do some safety inspectors insist on looking under the hood when there isn't anything safety related? Power steering fluid, Brake fluid, PS belt,  PS pump and hoses, Brake booster, Motor mounts, Emissions devices, Fuel leaks, Etc...

What about HID retrofits? using all 100% OEM dot approved components that when tested do meet all guidelines for candle power, beam, cutoff, aim etc http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-140 SEE #1

Why is a repair done by a DIY using the same parts and same method not approved but the exact same thing done at a dealer is ok (i.e the pathfinder exhaust repair exception) http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-300 Nissan Got an exception somehow. I don't make the laws, lawers do.

What about things like window tint which are clearly a safety concern and DOT violation - yet its not part of inspection? http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-210 SEE#10 &11 The shade of tint use to be in the manual about 12 years ago.

Why, please please tell me why if a dealer installs a brush guard as a dealer option its legal to pass, BUT if I install the EXACT same part, with no modification what so ever it results in a fail (same applies to tail light guards apparently) http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-140 SEE #9 I have seen many dealers install and pass the extra wire on some brush guards. They do not pass.

What about LED's? You can buy the ricer ones which don't work but say "dot approved" on the package so there legal, though they've never been tested in conjunction with that housing. Buy the ones that do work and you fail? Same with license plate LED's. Upgrading to plain white LED's is suppose to be a fail. I mean really I'm making it easier for police to see my license plate using products and styles approved for and becoming OEM standard http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-150 SEE#1 &3

And finally, why are inspectors now required to remove the wheels to check brake pads if there is more then enough room to check the pad depth, inner and outer, without removal? Inspector failed me because I didn't have the wheel locks to remove wheels - but I also had 8 piston brembo big brakes and wide open wheels allowing perfect access, same as the last 10 years.http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-80 SEE B Inspectors have ALWAYS been required to remove wheels to inspect brake linings, calipers, cylendars, drums, rotors, hardware, hoses, etc.. For the past 15 or 20 years it has been Two wheels, but it use to be only one.

Please remember that the Safety Inspection does not mean that everything on the car is legal. many of the rules are to protect the citizen and the inspector.

Happy Motoring,
Bryan
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 10:00:49 PM by ///BHRpowered »

WWW Logged

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement I would be unstoppable" - ///BHRpowered
"Watching the two black Millenias disappear over the horizon in front of the helplessly outraced Chevy was a treat for the X-man" - Xedosman
"I am not looking to take over the world like BHR" - cwkann
lynskynbnd
Member 2014
Warrenton, Virginia
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 11:05:30 PM »

I am also touchy on the inspection topic. That's why I started this thread. I refer to the inspection manual on a very regular basis. The code changes often. Many inspectors don't realize things change, or younger inspectors may listen to an "old dog" that knows what he's talking about because he's been doing it "forever." I have seen many things passed that shouldn't pass and many things Fail that should pass. My sister lives near Ashland and thier local inspector has done it both ways!

-On the FX a red diod is different than a red bulb.
-Modified means changed.
-Rear Fog Lamps are ok if http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-160 SEE A.
-On the WJ red covering that does not pass http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-150 SEE 9.
-"If the turn signal lens is clear, then the bulb shall be amber." Not hard to understand.
-Many LED lamps have several diods in them. Basicly as long as more than 1/2 of them light it will pass the Safety insp.
-If HID headlamps are installed in pairs, are wired properly and are of an approved type they pass Safety inspection.
-Your bars in front of both the head lamps and Aux lamps(are they an approved type?) do fail safety insp weather the dealer installed them or not. "Reject if vehicle has wire, unapproved plastic covers, any other materials that are not original equipment or any colored material placed on or in front of the headlamps"
-Your Snake in the Grass is the inspector that said Yellow. He is wrong.
-Many inspector will check the brakes without pulling the wheels because it saves time. I garantee that if their Trooper was ther they would be pulling the wheels off!

Thumbs Up and Sleep I'm going to sleep now!
Happy Motoring,
Bryan

WWW Logged

Happy Motoring!
GrmnCrsNBr
Forum User
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 06:52:23 AM »

19VAC30-70-140 B isnt done, ever in the state of VA or else I wouldnt have issues with people's low beams blinding me in my Jeep.

Question on this section http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-180
So is that telling me that my tires can stick out up to 4inches past my fenders before it will fail?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:15:56 AM by GrmnCrsNBr »

-Roy "I like my bourbon neat and my Jeep on the rocks"
Flickr
03TJRubi
Forum User
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 07:21:45 AM »

A dealer installed brush/taillamp guard fails safety inspection since it technically isnt OEM..its an add on.  Now if the manufacturer installs a tail lamp guard (like on a lot of the new JK editions) it passes inspection since it came from the factory with them.

Same thing goes for the old SRT-4 Neon.  They didnt have a muffler from the factory so legally it passes inspection since nothing has been modified

lynskynbnd
Member 2014
Warrenton, Virginia
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 08:14:15 AM »

19VAC30-70-140 B isnt done, ever in the state of VA or else I wouldnt have issues with people's low beams blinding me in my Jeep.

Question on this section http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-180
So is that telling me that my tires can stick out up to 4inches past my fenders before it will fail?

There are alot of 'out of aim' headlamps out there! I believe most inspectors check them, but headlamps and front ends in general are very flimsy and often break. I've also seen a lot of bulbs not properly inslalled and locked into the headlamp assy causing aiming issues.

As for the tires,Yes. As long as there is a clearance lamp. ie. YJ's and XJ's lamp is on the fender not the flare, so you only have 4" from the fender. While TJ's and JK's are on the flare, so you have 4" from the flare. It is a lighting issue (clearance lamps to be precise). That's one reason I put TJ flares on my XJ. They were free is the other reason!
Bryan

WWW Logged

Happy Motoring!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: