Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 16, 2019, 07:28:53 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Runners Build Thread  (Read 19735 times)
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 09:52:35 AM »

Another thing I accomplished this weekend was the install of headlight upgrade. Here, I wanted to have improved lighting over stock, be able to replace bulbs easily, have the ability to substitute brighter bulbs for offroad, and keep cost to around $100. I was able to find something that met this, cost was slightly over at $109, in the form of a product from Roundeyes. Here are the high level details, from the company product description:

- 60% brighter than conventional sealed beam headlamps
- H4 60/55 watt bulbs are replaceable
- Die-cast aluminum housing with a complex multi surface reflector that produces a wider beam pattern
- Unbreakable clear polycarbonate lens
- Gortex® breather allows heat to escape while keeping moisture out of the lamp assembly
- Lamp assembly can handle off-road bulbs up to 130 watts
- Easy drop fit installation with no additional wiring needed

The install was simple, with zero issues. Unfortunately, I couldn't find my Lumen Meter, so I can't give you real numbers. I can say that the light is noticeably brighter, whiter, and more evenly distributed. I did notice that I needed to adjust them, i.e. bring them down, but haven't the time to tape up markings on the garage and do a more controlled adjustment.

Front Comparison

Back Comparison

With Silverstars

With Roundeyes

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Richmond, VA
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 10:45:02 AM »

The fenders look great!

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 06:38:50 AM »

Installed 3/4" Amber LEDs for the marker lights (mounted in front) and the turn signals (mounted under the fender) in the Metalcloak front fenders. I was able to source the LEDs from Amazon for $5.99 ea., with free shipping. Also, was able to get the LED replacement flasher relay on Amazon.  

Wiring was very simple:

You only need to use the two of the factory wires,  which are normally connected to the factory side marker light. The wires that normally go to the front marker light can just be tapped up (I just wrapped the whole connector) and tucked away. The wiring looks like this:  Grab a Wrench!

For the turn signals (mounted under fender)
    -Black wire on the LED goes to the Black/Yellow wire from the marker
    -White wire on the LED goes to ground
  For the Marker lights (on front near the Metalcloak "M")
    -Black wire on the LED goes to the Grey wire from the marker
    -White wire on the LED goes to ground

I'll draw up a little wiring diagram later and add some pictures.

I didn't get to the flasher install yet, but here are the parts:

http://www.amazon.com/Combination-Clearance-Marker-Light-Amber/dp/B002NSEVD4
http://www.amazon.com/Jeep-2001-2006-Wrangler-Flasher-Relay/dp/B00FGXEBQU/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1399893870&sr=1-1&keywords=gcd+flasher+relay
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 06:42:08 AM by Runner »

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
nosigma
Committee: Trail Rides
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 09:31:19 PM »

The build looks great.  I am very interested in your front springs.  I need a 24 to 26 inch free height spring but I dont want to go over a 4.5" lift.  I really like your variable rate springs.  Sits low but has tons of down travel.  Those are metal Cloak springs?

John

VirginiaZJ "Frank, Stop. Don't come down here"
Somebody: "Is John in a predicament?"
VirginiaZJ "The front of his Jeep is facing me now"
Somebody: "Yeah, I guess that's a predicament"

Quote overhead
Thought I saw nosigma at eastern mountain sports but it turns out the guys xj had been sideswiped
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 07:47:45 AM »

The build looks great.  I am very interested in your front springs.  I need a 24 to 26 inch free height spring but I dont want to go over a 4.5" lift.  I really like your variable rate springs.  Sits low but has tons of down travel.  Those are metal Cloak springs?

John

Yes, I went with the Metalcloak (MC) kit, minus the six pack shocks. Just couldn't justify the money for those yet. I believe the front springs were around 23" uncompressed and the rears around 20". At install, before loading all the armor, I had 4" of lift. After loading all the armor I'm now sitting at 3.5". The springs ride well, with very good dampening and rebound control. I'm very happy with the purchase so far. Time will tell if there is any sagging though. FYI, I did talk to MC several times before the purchase and they were extremely knowledgeable about their products. According to them, the springs rates were designed to operate at 3.5" of lift with all of their products (i.e. armor, bumpers, etc.) installed on the vehicle.

Rich   

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 08:48:24 AM »

I wasn't able to make the show this weekend, so I crunched on the LJ to finish the Metalcloak rear corner extended armor, fenders, and rockers. Here's the story:

Remove rear fender flares, tail lights, license plate holder, and fuel neck....

Repair previous trail damage....

Mock up the armor and drill lots of holes for the corner guards and rockers....

Install corners, fenders, and rockers....

Flex the rear and check droop and compression....

Finally, done for this phase!.... Very Happy

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 10:23:23 AM »

Next step, install the soft top, Genright rear gas tank, and get the half doors painted. It never ends!   Duh

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 11:40:42 AM »

Looks great!

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 06:15:32 AM »

For the first time since I've owned the Jeep, I dropped it off for someone else to work on.  Sad   Although I've installed gears before I really want to make sure that the 5.13s are setup correctly, in order to minimize the possibility of shearing teeth. The good news is that when it's done I'll:

- have confidence it was done correctly
- be able to use overdrive again
- gain some performance back
- and, not be working the transmission so hard

Also, I won't have to look at this anymore:   Smile

With Overdrive On - Speed corrected, with 35" tires, to 65mph

With Overdrive Off - Speed corrected, with 35" tires, to 65mph  

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 07:29:02 AM »

Runner, I'm assuming you wanted this post in your build thread. I merged it into here from the generic sticky in the forum.

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 07:41:44 AM »

Yes, it was early. That's all I have to say about that!   Confused

BigRigoTJ
Forum User
Using grinders and saving money since 2011
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 07:47:39 AM »

The rig is coming together nicely.

"YELLOCON" 2002 TJ. Lift, Tires, Rims, Skids, Bumpers, SYE, TT, ACA's, HD Steering, Lights, and STICKERS!!!
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 08:06:31 AM »

The rig is coming together nicely.

Much appreciated! I'm anxious to wheel, once I get the new gears are installed, and see what I need to be thinking about next. Honestly, I was giving serious thought to a 5.3L and 700R4 conversion, but now I'm not sure. My primary concern is that the weight I've added will ultimately be to much for the automatic transmission. However, for the cost of a V8 conversion I could do an Atlas, rebuild the stock transmission, and still be way ahead of the game.  Dunno? 

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 08:08:46 AM »

Once the rig comes back with the new gears, it's time to install the Genright gas tank and skid! Cheers

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 08:25:16 AM »

Kind of build related, I built a 4'x6' plywood platform to rest my hardtop on during the Summer months. The typical process I had was to use the ceiling winch I installed to remove the top, which makes the job extremely easy for one person. However, I didn't like leaving it suspended by itself.

To fix this I bought:

- 4 screw in ceiling anchors
- 8 u-bolts
- 24' of chain
- 4 Safety chain quick links

and used some leftover wood I had:

- 1 4'x8' sheet of OSB
- 4 2"x4"x8'

To build this:

Now I can connect the back two quick links to the chain, raise the top off the Jeep, pull the Jeep out, raise and connect the front chains, and lower the top onto the platform. I can then store all the other junk there as well!  Cheers

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: