Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
August 21, 2019, 04:09:50 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Manley ORV Explore  (Read 36462 times)
Bunks-tj
Forum User
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2015, 07:52:36 AM »

Looking good

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2000 Tj with a BB and 33x1250 bfg ko's SOLD
1967 M416 trailer under SLOW reconstruction
InkMing
Member 2019
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2015, 07:55:24 AM »

Are you going to do any solar panals?

Possibly, I'm going to my to check out some of the solar stuff this weekend at the Mid Atlantic Overland Fest and do some more research on it.

Post up what you find out. 

Garage:
2012 JK Unlimited Rubicon (some mods)
2014 Land Cruiser (tires and rims)
2006 Sienna (grocery/kid/dog hauler)
2008 Audi S5
jwilson2598
Webmaster
BOD
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2015, 10:04:09 PM »

Are you going to do any solar panals?

Possibly, I'm going to my to check out some of the solar stuff this weekend at the Mid Atlantic Overland Fest and do some more research on it.

Post up what you find out.

So I talked to some people about solar, and it's kinda all over the place.

AT Overland is coming out soon with a nice little panel that puts out a ton of power, but it folds very compact, think netbook/small laptop side. I believe they said mid $300's as a price point on it.

There was also a guy with a pop up camper who had the 45W Harbor Freight panel and said it worked well for him and covered most of his electrical needs. They are more budget friendly at $189, with coupons often making them $129. The downside is it's a decent size panel, but you can't fold it, so you have to be able to store and transport it. For him it's pretty easy since he can store it in the dinette of the trailer.

I'm still doing research, I may dive in with the HF panel to start, but not sure yet. As an aside, I managed to have the battery last all weekend powering my ARB Fridge and some occasional cell phone charging. That was 3ish days of powering a, so I'm happy so far.

Jeff

2013 Unlimited Sahara, Gecko Green
AEV 2.5" lift, front/rear bumpers, hood, Argent Pintler wheels, 315/70/17 Duratracs.
dan58
Forum User
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2015, 11:17:59 PM »

Talk to the guys at OK4WD in NJ.  They're up on just about all the new toys for overlanding.  I know they have some solar panel options.

jwilson2598
Webmaster
BOD
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2015, 07:16:43 AM »

Yeah, I should hit Rin and the gang there up about it for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeff

AEV 2.5" lift, front/rear bumpers, hood, Argent Pintler wheels, 315/70/17 Duratracs.
InkMing
Member 2019
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2015, 08:23:42 AM »

Main thing I would want to do is keep the battery topped off so I can run the ARB fridge off of it at the beach for camping.  Or power the fridge completely off of it and then just hook the fridge up to the battery at night when temps are cooler.  OR some other boondocking situation.   I know a while ago when I looked into it, something to do this was around the same cost of the fridge.  So was wondering if prices have come down and technology improved.

Garage:
2008 Audi S5
jwilson2598
Webmaster
BOD
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2015, 08:35:36 AM »

I was able to power the fridge for 3 days off the trailer battery with no problem, so I think at this point I would look at solar as a battery charging/top off solution. Still thinking about the HF panel as a jump in point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeff

jwilson2598
Webmaster
BOD
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2016, 05:04:29 PM »

Finally got around to doing a small project I've had parts to do since last fall. Step one was to add a couple more sockets to the tongue box:

One of them is to power the water pump for my water heater/shower system. It originally ran on its own battery pack, but now it can share with all the other stuff and means less battery I have carry around. The other plug was for some LED's to give me light inside the tent:

I ran the wires down the frame, and then added a switch and disconnect, so that the harness that goes to the tongue box can be removed instead of balled up inside the tent:

Should be plenty bright, I was too lazy to wait around for dark and see how it was, but based on others I've seen it'll be fine.

Jeff

jwilson2598
Webmaster
BOD
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2016, 05:17:36 PM »

Forgot to add from back in the fall, after seeing some other setups and talking to others including Mario Donovan from Adventure Trailers, I decided to add the electric brakes to mine. The Jeep could stop it pretty well before, but it's even batter with the brakes on the trailer, and it adds some other uses for pivoting during reverse and more control off road. Sadly Manley ORV didn't order their axles with the brake flanges, so I was going to need those welded on. I called around and it turned out by the time I added the flanges, drums, and brakes, it was about the same as buying an entire new Dexter axles with all brakes pre installed and wired. I only got one boring shot during install:

I also added a Prodigy P2 controller to run the brakes, mounted on the lower driver side of the dash.

Jeff

InkMing
Member 2019
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2016, 11:17:29 AM »

Jeff, might hit you up some time on the LEDs in the tent.  Great idea there.  Has me thinking...  Smile

Garage:
2008 Audi S5
jwilson2598
Webmaster
BOD
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2016, 05:24:15 PM »

Sure, they're nothing super high tech, just a couple of strips from the parts store and some fancy wiring I did Wink

Jeff

InkMing
Member 2019
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2016, 07:50:40 AM »

Totally need to do something like that for my RTT. 

Garage:
2008 Audi S5
jwilson2598
Webmaster
BOD
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2016, 10:05:20 PM »

Should be plenty bright, I was too lazy to wait around for dark and see how it was, but based on others I've seen it'll be fine.

I finally got a chance to use them after dark this weekend while camping at PA Jeeps, I was very pleased with the results.

Jeff

TrailReady4:1
Forum User
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2016, 05:37:11 PM »

Is the battery set up to charge off of the jeep when it's running?  I think a small Honda generator on the tongue would also be a beneficial move if I were to ever go this route.  Use it to charge the batter and run electrical circuits in the day hours and the battery would have an easy life at night time.  Not to mention, the right size Honda will power a welder quite nicely for trail fixes or camp repairs. 

I'm super jealous you all get to use 2" receivers.  My PSC rear stinger wont possess the towing attribute unless I can come up with a creative way to build something that'll hold up.  I just want to at least tow my fishing kayak with the jeep.

'02TJ  Amber Fire Pearl.  4.5" Teraflex LA w/ 1"BL/MML and tummy tuck. D44s with Chromoly shafts, ARB's, trussed and one ton steering w/ PSC assist. Tom Woods shafts into Xfer, 4:1 tera-low and 2low kit, SS SYE on a NP3550, Hurst comp shifter. 37" KM2 on 17"x9" Trail Ready HDs. Armor..other stuffs
jwilson2598
Webmaster
BOD
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2016, 07:54:58 PM »

Yes, the battery will charge off the Jeep while running as well as off of AC power too. So far battery life has not been an issue, I ran my ARB fridge and other stuff for 3 days straight last year while camping. On my list at some point is to add a solar panel as well for some free electricity on sunny days.

Jeff

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: