Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 16, 2019, 08:06:14 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unl1mtds Wj  (Read 8341 times)
02tj
Member 2019
Jeffersonton, Va
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 01:47:32 PM »

Dose the wj have a lift or just a skid?

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 04:45:24 PM »

Dose the wj have a lift or just a skid?

Slightly bigger tires but no lift. And the high clearance crossmember with transfer case skid.

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 08:23:17 AM »

Got all geared up to replace the A arm and ball joint in the rear suspension only to realize I didn't have the required 21mm boxed end wrench to do the job. So had to get a set of long handle wrenches from Harbor Freight and ordered a 21mm ratcheting gearwrench to make my life just that much easier. Hopefully my schedule allows this to be replaced before the ride.

In ride prep I did a quick inventory and realized I haven't done my cig lighter/cb mag mount project yet. So more parts to order, getting the Little Wil Mag Mount from Right Channel Radio. More money than I want to spend, but I really trust their opinions and just want it to work without screwing with it. Also in ride prep ordered a Master Flow Tsunami. I figured if it served me for 5-6 years on the LJ pumping up 33/35s it will be more than fine for the WJ and its puny tires.

jwilson2598
Webmaster
BOD
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 09:24:09 AM »

Got all geared up to replace the A arm and ball joint in the rear suspension only to realize I didn't have the required 21mm boxed end wrench to do the job.

This is how we know you've never worked on a JK before, lol.

Jeff

2013 Unlimited Sahara, Gecko Green
AEV 2.5" lift, front/rear bumpers, hood, Argent Pintler wheels, 315/70/17 Duratracs.
unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 10:36:20 AM »

Got all geared up to replace the A arm and ball joint in the rear suspension only to realize I didn't have the required 21mm boxed end wrench to do the job.

This is how we know you've never worked on a JK before, lol.

Its common enough right? I just assumed I had it, nope. Both my standard and ratcheting boxed wrenches stopped at 19mm  Dunno?.  I guess with the tight access of the balljoint area a standard deepwell 21 just doesn't work.

Safari Jeep XJ
TRC
Forum User
Remember that 2012 Winter Ride? Yeah...
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2016, 02:10:42 PM »

Was there a test for this for you to determine it was bad?

Did you get the part from RockAuto?

1990 XJ Laredo
Renix 4.0L, AX-15, NP231J
Build Sheet

"He'sa comin' down from the Cumberland Gap to Johson City, Tennessee..."
unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 02:18:52 PM »

A hunch based on it being a systemic issue with the suspension design and the clunks I get from the rear which have yet to be fixed by tinkering with other components. I did pick up the parts from RockAuto.

The backend of the jeep feels loose, it has a lot of movement just shifting into reverse. It's not like it's going to fall apart, but it's clearly not right either. Could just be me chasing this down and it could be fine. But the only test is to remove and inspect and if I am doing that I will just replace as the cost isn't too outrageous.

Safari Jeep XJ
TRC
Forum User
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2016, 02:28:33 PM »

A hunch based on it being a systemic issue with the suspension design and the clunks I get from the rear which have yet to be fixed by tinkering with other components. I did pick up the parts from RockAuto.

The backend of the jeep feels loose, it has a lot of movement just shifting into reverse. It's not like it's going to fall apart, but it's clearly not right either. Could just be me chasing this down and it could be fine. But the only test is to remove and inspect and if I am doing that I will just replace as the cost isn't too outrageous.

sounds similar to my issues. I'm going to see how yours turns out and then if it fixes it I may move forward as well.  I thought it might be related to the control arms or that A arm, or maybe the coil spring isolators, which are pretty beat up honestly. I also get some shifting when coming to a complete stop that I thought might be greasing the slip yoke.  I haven't started to work  on any of this stuff though because it was more "annoying" than "necessary" but it is on my list to tackle eventually.

1990 XJ Laredo
Build Sheet

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 10:04:20 PM »

I copped out and threw the uber cheap mag mount antenna in the cart today along with a cig lighter to bare leads. Did some soldering, added some loom and bam! I got me a mobile CB kit.

I was tempted to cut the wiring to the exact length for the WJ, but figured flexibility over the long haul would be nice. Tested the weather band which was good. CB band was quiet and I suspect it will need a tune with a SWR meter.

Progress towards something!

Safari Jeep XJ
TRC
Forum User
Re:
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2016, 10:10:17 PM »

Lol looks very familiar. Is that mounted to the dash or just resting?

Have the same setup for the wife's, except uniden not cobra. Worked great last time we were out.

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

1990 XJ Laredo
Build Sheet

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 05:31:38 AM »

Lol looks very familiar. Is that mounted to the dash or just resting?

Have the same setup for the wife's, except uniden not cobra. Worked great last time we were out.

It's just resting up there. However the bracket could be screwed into the dash, just a bit nervous about doing so. There is a small lip towards the cabin that the bracket rests in and I could hide the screws from view of driven in at an angle, but it's this soft material. Not sure if it will hold.

Where do you put your CB in the WJ?

Safari Jeep XJ
TRC
Forum User
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 06:27:28 AM »

On the passenger seat. Lol. Yeah I don't want to mess up the dash and the whole idea is its removable and portable. At some point may put it on the side of the center console or inside but for now it's loosey goosey

1990 XJ Laredo
Build Sheet

Safari Jeep XJ
TRC
Forum User
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2016, 07:17:01 AM »

Sean I looked at my WJ yesterday to try and source the clunking.  I found two loose-ish parts.  One was the lower rear swaybar link (that connects to the sway bar and not the body). I think that hole is probably wallowed out some.  The other is the lower shock mount bushing.  The bushing is moving inside of the sleeve (?) of the shock itself.

not sure which of these is causing the clunking I hear but I think it's the swaybar mostly.  Just an idea of something to check if you haven't already.

1990 XJ Laredo
Build Sheet

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2016, 07:37:52 AM »

I got the A arm out. Bushings were not terrible.  The ball joint felt worn, but wasn't destroyed.

Hopefully this adventure isn't a complete waste of time.

I've previously looked at both the sway bar links and the lower shock mount. I even added a washer to help preload the sway bar link bushing. Both are at torque spec and neither made an impact to my issue.

Safari Jeep XJ
TRC
Forum User
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2016, 07:44:42 AM »

I got the A arm out. Bushings were not terrible.  The ball joint felt worn, but wasn't destroyed.

Hopefully this adventure isn't a complete waste of time.

I've previously looked at both the sway bar links and the lower shock mount. I even added a washer to help preload the away at link bushing. Both are at torque spec and neither made an impact to my issue.

I was thinking about the washer thing too but haven't done it yet, but I wonder if the issue is more that the bolt is not the right side inside the sleeve.  I have some other sleeves laying around I might try at some point.

Have you checked for movement in both of them since making those changes?

Just as a quick visual inspection of my A arm, I can see there might be some wear or crack on the passenger side, but you know, with these bushing it's really hard to tell when they are in, so it could be fine.

1990 XJ Laredo
Build Sheet

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: