Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 16, 2019, 08:30:39 PM

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unl1mtds Wj  (Read 8348 times)
unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2017, 05:33:34 PM »

More for historical purposes than an informative post, but the WJ has now thrown a P0108 code twice. Once last August, once last week. Both times cleared themselves after another day of driving. Not sure what action if any I will end up taking.

And again!!!  Only pattern I can come up with is this happening after hard breaking. This time like the last about 5 minutes afterwards it couldn't find the right gear while cruising at 60 then sorta went away for the rest of the drive. Might be time to actually do something about this.

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2017, 03:43:16 PM »

Dig into the AC a bit this morning. I disassembled the dash to get to some duct work in order to do a visual inspection as much as possible in order to figure out why the volume was so weak. Ended up finding the duct behind the radio has about a 1/2" gap from the vents to the main output of the havc. Most of the cool air was just dumping behind the dash. Bang Head

I think time was the enemy here and the foam just disintegrated. Not wanting to take the whole dash out or shell out cash I used DUCT TAPE!!!! 

This easily doubled the output from the center vent and brought to life the other. The vent to the right of the center of the dash is still dead but I think that is mainly due to the design of the duct work. If I ever have the rest of the dash out I will look further.

For good measure in took out the blower motor fan and inspected the recirculation door. That was all on the up and up. I did clean the 17 years of grime off the fan, so that's something.

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2017, 06:26:41 PM »

That does not look like fun.  Good for you Sean.  Grab a Wrench!

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2017, 10:29:53 AM »

Changed the oil and replaced the MAP sensor in hopes that it alleviates the reoccurring P0108 code I've been getting over the last year.

In true Jeep fashion I was able to fix one thing and break two others. One was the hold down clip for the sensor on the alternator. The connector feels snug so I'm not in a rush but will have to swap it out eventually.

The other was the negative battery terminal hold down. It must have been over tightened as when I loosened the bolt it fell apart. This I will have to replace today.

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2017, 11:07:38 AM »

That seems like a typical day for me as well. Fix one, break two. At least your battery terminal is an easy fix.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2018, 03:55:30 PM »

Oil change and diff service. Having never opened the diffs on th WJ before and not doing diff work in over three years, I was glad it was like riding a bike and the the internals all looked solid. On the rear for the WJ the sway bar was in the way, so that was an extra step. And for both the Jeep was just too low to the ground for clearance to the bolts, so I had to put jacks under the subframe.

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2019, 03:33:41 PM »

Been having a intermittent issue with the left turn signal. It works sometimes and doesnít others. Banging the relay box under the dash usually brings it back operational, but that gets old. So bought a new relay. From my reading there seems to be an issue with the solder points on the mopar relays going bad as the WJs age.

Had to take out a bit to get access. Fuse box cover, Kick panel and the big bolt in wiring. Turn relay is the long one at the very top.

New one in.

Door panels have never been snug, I guess it bothered me enough and got some new clips.

The driver door panel had an issue with one of the retainers snapping. So I zip tie stitched it and added superglue. Hopefully thatís lasts.

New clips are a completely different design, but seem to be doing the trick. Repeated the process on the passenger door.

Old ones were flat out wore out. Combined with the broken mount and a couple missing, itís understandable why they werenít holding anymore.

All snug.

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2019, 04:01:57 PM »

Wow. Some well deserved love for the Grand. Nicely done.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2019, 08:37:18 PM »

DubJ has been parked for a bit as it had really started to leave its mark with power steering fluid.  A check of the fluid level showed it below Add, not great.

Assuming it was either the return or the high pressure line, I ordered both from RockAuto and dug into it today.

WJ tip for you, to get the 4.7 Air Box out you remove the nuts from the wheel well not the bolts from the air box side ... an hour lost until I gave into google on that one. Big dummy. Anyways once out it was clear as the above pic shows the leak was in the soft line between the return and the cooler. The cooler?!? Well crap that wasnít on the diagrams. So then I got curious and got eyes on the cooler. Which mean the front end came off.

And yup itís a cooler.

And yuck the leak has been running down these lines and dripping.

So clean that up.

Then I didnít have the exact replacement parts, so i cut a 5Ē piece of hose from the brand new return line I bought and used some hose clamps from the parts bin to replace the bad piece. Little worried about the bend of this hose, but it will likely be fine. I didnít replace the high pressure line cause it was fine. And that part went on the shelf.

Topped off the fluid, bled the system with back and forth driver to passenger turning. And itís good to go.

When reinstalling the heavy plastic headlight frame I decided to do another zip tie plastic stitch to repair the broken off top driver ear. This allows it to be secured and the headlight is not floating around. So ghetto, but no dollars spent!

Also found a hose on the air intake had fallen off, so that was reinstalled. And cleaned out a bunch of crap that had accumulated behind the plastic in the wheel wells. All in all a good morning in the garage.

Oh yea on of the air box bolts was already snapped so I wasnít the only owner confused by this design by Jeep. Probably should replace it but meh.

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2019, 01:57:26 PM »

Been having a painful rotational sound when at full lock and in reverse. Got the front end off the ground and inspected the CV joints.

Passenger side looks good. Nothing obvious. Drivers side is the opposite. Guessing this side is original and the passenger side had been replaced at some point. The boot is completely fubar and likely has been for awhile letting the outside in and wrecking the joint.

So this has become top priority. No point investigating further until this gets fixed.

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2019, 02:02:45 PM »

https://youtu.be/J4G1_O5XMp8

A video of it spinning with some bonus Caps radio in the background.

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2019, 05:54:43 PM »

Good that you found it before major damage occurred!

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2019, 03:22:36 PM »

Fun day in the garage swapping the blower motor and the driverís cv axle assembly.

Unfortunately the cv axle although trashed isnít the apparent cause of the rotational klunky sound in reverse when the wheels are turned as its still there during the test drive. Need some ideas of what to chase down there. If any, could just wait for a break. 

Did have a oh crap moment when I pulled the existing cv and it measured .75Ē shorter than the one I bought. When ordering you have to get the correct one for an open diff or vari-lock diff. I have an open diff I know from popping the cover previously. So the Jeep must have had shorter shafts installed at some point. Maybe the passenger shaft is also incorrect. Dunno, didnít pull it. Internet confirms I put in the right shaft for an open diff. Really surprised it had enough engagement previously.

Only concern is that the boot is making some light contact with the housing and could theoretically wear out really fast.

The blower motor took a big 10 minutes to swap. New part is a universal unit and shows the cheap out on design. Itís loud when changing speeds and stopping. Noise was the reason I swapped the other one out, but that was a screeching sound where as this is just not quiet. Seems to have the same strength which is good.

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2019, 06:06:41 PM »

While back noticed the Jeep getting warm in traffic with the AC on. Most common issue on the web was a bad electric fan controller. Swapped that out the lazy way by cutting an access hole in the headlight bucket assembly.

But no joy. The fan would never kick on. Troubling shooting further I temp wired the fan direct to the battery and again no joy. So bad fan. But since the fan clutch has to come out to replace the electric fan, I decide to R&R both.

Had to pick up the water pump immobilizer tool to bust it loose. When starting to put the front end back on I got curious about extra hoses. Ended up being leftovers from when the auto trans section of the radiator went south. Then plucked off a glob of RTV and had a mess.

So time to pull the rad and replace that. 19yrs old I assume.

Then once parts came in put it all back together. Opted to leave the existing aftermarket trans cooler in place. Which got in the way and made the whole thing harder than it needed to be, but no big deal.

Parts from advanced were a bit hit or miss. New upper hose was wrong bend and too long. Lower hose was good. Radiator was direct replacement. Coolant type was a bit confusing too. Internet is all over the place on OEM coolant type. Pretty sure later years used HOAT, but mine was rocking green crap and owners manual calls from basic IAT, so obviously went that route.

Big time idiot moment when I started it up without tightening the radiator cap.

Happy to drive this thing again and now the electric fan turns on with the AC, so hoping the original issue is resolved.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: