Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
December 16, 2017, 02:10:01 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JKU cargo rack/box  (Read 2556 times)
Mikey
Forum User
« on: September 03, 2015, 07:58:31 AM »

I really wanted something for my "trunk" area like the tuffy cover but along with the price there were a few things I didn't like about it mainly how high it sat limiting things to go on top of it. I had a couple hours to work on the jeep the other day and some metal laying around so I decided to just build my own. Here are a few pics of the process overall I am pretty happy with it if I were to build another one I might change just a few things. It bolts to the floor using the stock tie down locations so I didn't have to do any additional drilling.

Getting the basic dimensions/layout

Framing it up out of 1/8in angle

Sides and top are covered with 18ga sheet metal

Set in place to make the template for the top piece.

I wanted it to sit pretty flush with the tailgate.

Top rough cut and set in place to check fitment before final welding.

After welding it all up I decided to just spray it with some Bedliner so it's durable and easy to touch up down the road.

Grabbed a few things that were close by in the garage to test it out. So far I'm pretty happy with it. I'll still drill a few holes through the top rails to use as tie down points but it's mostly done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 08:02:37 AM by Mikey »

Osiris
Member 2017
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 08:47:59 AM »

That turned out awesome. Sooooo how much are you charging? Wink

Bobby

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry

Mikey
Forum User
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 10:04:27 AM »

That turned out awesome. Sooooo how much are you charging? Wink

Thanks. Haha I have not thought that far ahead yet, I've probably got like 70 bucks in materials and a couple hours of my time, which is far better than close to $500 some of the similar ones go for. I'm sure if someone really wanted one we could work something out Smile
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 10:06:13 AM by Mikey »

nosigma
Member 2017
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 05:45:30 AM »

Looks nice.

How did you secure it to the body so it doesnt fly around in case of an accident?

Not being picky here.  I have seen the results of a flop and roll overs when tools and cargo were not secured, head wounds can be messy.  I imaging a street or yet highway accident would be worse.  

I carry a fair amount of gear in the back of my XJ and installed extra tie downs.  I used 6 very heavy hinged handles secured with 4 1/4-20 bolts each and backing plates under the body.  Ratchet straps secure my spare tire, tool box, two large spares boxes, lug wrench, air compressor, spare steering gear, spare axles.....etc to those hard points.  Loose items are all on 550 chord lanyards that clip into carabiners at the hard points.  A good rule of thumb is to design for a 35G impact.  Thats the limit of where the aorta tears away, beyond that G load it doesnt matter.

To make it easy to remove you could put 2 5,000lb ratchet straps over the top of the metal box and secure them to the floor using heavy hinged handles or fold away trailer tie downs.

John
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 05:55:22 AM by nosigma »

VirginiaZJ "Frank, Stop. Don't come down here"
Somebody: "Is John in a predicament?"
VirginiaZJ "The front of his Jeep is facing me now"
Somebody: "Yeah, I guess that's a predicament"

Quote overhead
Thought I saw nosigma at eastern mountain sports but it turns out the guys xj had been sideswiped
Mikey
Forum User
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 10:32:03 PM »

Looks nice.

How did you secure it to the body so it doesnt fly around in case of an accident?

Not being picky here.  I have seen the results of a flop and roll overs when tools and cargo were not secured, head wounds can be messy.  I imaging a street or yet highway accident would be worse.  

I carry a fair amount of gear in the back of my XJ and installed extra tie downs.  I used 6 very heavy hinged handles secured with 4 1/4-20 bolts each and backing plates under the body.  Ratchet straps secure my spare tire, tool box, two large spares boxes, lug wrench, air compressor, spare steering gear, spare axles.....etc to those hard points.  Loose items are all on 550 chord lanyards that clip into carabiners at the hard points.  A good rule of thumb is to design for a 35G impact.  Thats the limit of where the aorta tears away, beyond that G load it doesnt matter.

To make it easy to remove you could put 2 5,000lb ratchet straps over the top of the metal box and secure them to the floor using heavy hinged handles or fold away trailer tie downs.

John

It's bolted directly to the tub using 4 of the oem tie down points, I just replaced the stock bolts with slightly longer grade 8s it's pretty secure I highly doubt it would go anywhere. Anything that I stick on top normally gets strapped down to the box, I went back and drilled a few holes through the angle lip to have as tie down points for gear.

erdoke
Forum User
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 09:24:15 PM »

I am in the same boat with my JKU... I like your idea and I donít want to spend $500 on one!

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: