Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
May 26, 2019, 02:30:02 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rear Camera parts and Pics of install  (Read 2608 times)
Shpion1
Forum User
« on: October 13, 2015, 10:16:46 PM »

Had a couple members ask about the camera install and pics so figured this would be easier than IMing pics, and others may find helpful.  If wrong place, please move. 

This is the first mod I did along with getting Cibie's to replace the headlights.  The missus especially couldn't see too well behind with the Hard top on.  The dealership wanted a little over 600 to install their version, parts were slightly over $100, flashing the Jeep was 75, about 1 hour or so, definitely less than 2.

Parts, all from Amazon other than the copper pipe holder from Home Depot

C2G / Cables To Go 29507 75-OHM RCA Video Coupler $1.50

PAC CHYRVD Rear Video Retention Cable For Select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Vehicles 2008-2012  $26

Gino 1/4" CCD Flush Mount Waterproof Truck Car Reverse Backup Rear View Camera  $10

Buy a better camera... this one works great during day, not so much at night.  Should have spent more. 

1/2 in. x 12 in. Milford Tubing Hanger $1.76

I also bought some video cable, 25' to run to the Navi, don't remember where I got it, wasn't that expensive.

Install was easy.  there are a number of very detailed forum posts about the install on Wranglerforum and others, so won't dig into that too much.  I started from rear and moved forward. 

used the copper pipe holder as a camera holder.  I painted it black first, then used 2 self taping screws and screwed it into the tire holder.  Measure the heights from tire holder mounting location to where you want the camera to peek through the rim.  I put an extra fold so it's adjustable.  when I'm hooking up the trailer, I just fold it down more and it catches both the tow ball and the trailer as I back up into it.

Highly recommend that when you do this, also buy the cb mount and run wire to front, save you the work.  Did that a couple months after camera prior to the "newbie" run this spring.  wish I would have done both at same time.  apologies for huge pics, they're

Mountin from back of tire. 

wiring from tailgate into jeep

the wiring wasn't too bad.  the biggest PITA was the camera wires, way too thin.  I tied into the positive for the reverse lights and then grounded it with a nice bolt under the plastic woofer cover.  Don't remember the exact reverse wire color, quick google search will reveal the answer. 

then ran the video feed wire down the passenger side trim all the way to the footwell, then went up under the dash.  The CB wire I ran under carpet to under the front passenger seat between it and the console.  have it disconnected unless I have the cb hooked up.  I also ran an extra 12G wire from back to under dash for future use for additional reverse lights.  I had the wire and know that I'll add them later.

taking apart dash is very very easy.  instructions on multiple forums, basically pull out the window switches, undo  about 4 bolts and it pops out.  highly recommend that you have a trim tool kit, about 10 bucks on amazon, helps with the crappy xmas tree plastic tabs and also with dash parts.  hooking up the camera using the wiring harness from amazon was very easy.  I added some electrical tape on the video coupler to make sure that it stays put.

result was this, you can twist and adjust to make sure it's straight, theres nothing on the cheap camera that I bought showing orientation. 

if you have any questions, please let me know.  overall, very easy and doable by most with basic skills.  great payoff. 

Life's short.  Eat desert first!
unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 07:10:32 AM »

I moved this over to the tech write ups forum as this is a how to and very detailed. Thanks for taking the time to contribute a great tech how to!!

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: