Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
December 13, 2018, 10:03:29 PM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 308 Go No-Go Gauge  (Read 3174 times)
Major Ho
Forum User
« on: January 10, 2016, 08:22:20 PM »

Does anyone here on the board have a 308 (7.62x51) Go and/or No-Go Gauge?

Finishing up an AR 308 build and Brownells is out of stock.

If I end up getting a set myself in the near future I'll certainly pay it forward.

StaffordJK
Forum User
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 06:25:40 PM »

i am in need of the same. building a .308 upper and need one too.

Willys17
Forum User
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 02:12:46 PM »

Does anyone here on the board have a 308 (7.62x51) Go and/or No-Go Gauge?

Finishing up an AR 308 build and Brownells is out of stock.

If I end up getting a set myself in the near future I'll certainly pay it forward.

A bit of an old post but there was no answer provided and I could also use one for a build i have going.  I'm only building one .308 and don't think it is worth the expense to purchase the gauges for a one-time use.

Phoenix45
Forum User
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 02:03:44 PM »

Unless you are machining the bolt and barrel extension, there is no need to check the headspace.  Headspace is checked during manufacturing QC.  Both the bolt and barrel extension are made to the correct specs, or they aren't sold. As long as the bolt locks into the chamber, you are good to go.  I've assembled dozens of AR-10s and 308ARs, never checked headspace and never had an issue.  Failures are rarely due to head space, but rather improper parts or assembly.

That said, for an AR-10/308AR, make you are using the same platform for the parts. AR-10 (Armalite)  parts are not always interchangeable with 308AR (DPMS), and some 3d party companies make parts for both.  The upper and lower receivers are different, barrel threading is different, Bolt carriers are different, just to name a few. 

1973 CJ-5
1988 Wrangler YJ
1999 Grand Cherokee Limited
2010 Wrangler Unlimited
Search
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 04:55:16 AM »

I would go to a local gun store that has an armorer on site and ask if they would check it for you as a courtesy. I built my .308 and had a barrel that was out of spec. It shot twice, then locked up so tight that I had to collapse the buttstock and strike it on the ground while pulling down on the charging handle in order to clear the chamber. The recoil from the second round felt much sharper, and I think the out of spec chamber created an overpressure by forcing the bullet back into the casing. When I got it open, the bullet stayed in the barrel and the casing came apart. All of the parts were from the same manufacturer (bought at different times that I assembled), and I had to send the whole upper back to get the barrel replaced. Once the upper came back, everything was fine and its worked well since, but I would definitely recommend getting it checked out.

'15 Unlimited Rubicon but I miss my LJ
Major Ho
Forum User
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 08:57:00 AM »

Unless you are machining the bolt and barrel extension, there is no need to check the headspace.  Headspace is checked during manufacturing QC.  Both the bolt and barrel extension are made to the correct specs, or they aren't sold. As long as the bolt locks into the chamber, you are good to go.  I've assembled dozens of AR-10s and 308ARs, never checked headspace and never had an issue.  Failures are rarely due to head space, but rather improper parts or assembly.

So I found some supporting intertubes advice also stating the same regarding AR builds and headspace. IIRC it was more applicable to bolt guns.

So on that note, I risked it and went to the range to give her a whirl. I ran into another issue regarding have an improper buffer tube/spring combo but otherwise she fired fine. About ~100 rounds through now.

Would love to see a NVJA range day sometime  Thumbs Up

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: