Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 19, 2019, 07:43:13 AM

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Runners Build Take Two - Project Kids Jeep  (Read 20961 times)
Runner
Member 2019
« on: March 02, 2016, 09:24:48 AM »

After sitting on this for a while, I've decided to revive a "frame-rot" TJ I picked up.  The plan is to have my Son & Daughter work with me on building a driver/wheeler for them to pilot on our off-road outings.  I now have a pile of parts in my garage for a solid start.  The project will officially kickoff the middle of April, 2016, with a early Summer deadline for completion.  The foundation for the build will be a 1998 Jeep Wrangler "Sport" and is shaping up thus far as such:

- Rubicon drivetrain (axles & transfer case)
- Nth Degree 3" springs
- Bilstein 5100 shocks
- Metalcloak control arms and track bars
- Stock 4.0l mated to a built 32RH
- Bushwacker flat fenders
- 1" Body and Motor Mount Lift
- UCF transfer case skid & tummy tuck
- UCF Oil pan, & gas tank skids
- ZJ steering upgrade.
- 16" wheels with 33x12.50 tires (Likely BFG KO2)

I have all the parts above, minus the tires, plus more.  However, 1st step is to secure a frame for the build.  I have a couple options for direction here, but haven't made a final decision which way I'll go.  For what it's worth, here's the Jeep as it sits now:

« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 07:40:21 AM by unl1mtd »

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
Safari Jeep XJ
TRC
Forum User
Remember that 2012 Winter Ride? Yeah...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 10:05:58 AM »

I want my garage to have stuff like that laying around. :P 

Sounds like an awesome family project. Grab a Wrench!

1990 XJ Laredo
Renix 4.0L, AX-15, NP231J
Build Sheet

"He'sa comin' down from the Cumberland Gap to Johson City, Tennessee..."
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 02:16:14 PM »

I want my garage to have stuff like that laying around. :P 

Sounds like an awesome family project. Grab a Wrench!

I want him to sell the stuff laying around in his garage! Good luck with the build. Seems like a heck of a starting point

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 05:44:52 PM »

I want him to sell the stuff laying around in his garage!

Admittedly, I have a problem.  I say, I'm not buying any more parts, but they end up in my garage anyway.  So, this is what happens:

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 05:49:56 PM »

I want him to sell the stuff laying around in his garage!

Admittedly, I have a problem.  I say, I'm not buying any more parts, but they end up in my garage anyway.  So, this is what happens:

Lol. I need a front 44 for dad. Eventually

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 08:08:26 AM »

What has me most excited about this project is the fact that I'll literally be building a jeep from the ground up with my kids helping.  Hopefully they'll get a much better appreciation for the amount of work, and money, that goes into it, as well as the pride and confidence derived from doing much of the work yourself.  More to come!  
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 02:55:41 PM by Runner »

my95yj
Forum User
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 03:39:50 PM »

What has me most excited about this project is the fact that I'll literally be building a jeep from the ground up with my kids helping.  Hopefully they'll get a much better appreciation for the amount of work, and money, that goes into it, as well as the pride and confidence derived from doing much of the work yourself.  More to come!   

Amen! can't wait to start the same project, I have a few years to acquire the parts, oldest is nine and she wants a pink jeepster! I'm in trouble!!

'95 YJ
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 02:50:25 PM »

After several weeks of looking I finally sourced a very nice frame for the project.  I've also recently gathered a few more parts that I want to replace during the build, including:
 - New hood
 - New fenders
 - New tailgate & hinges
 - Used 1/2 doors & windows

Additionally, I picked up a complete new OEM soft top yesterday from a 2003.  The top was part of a dual top group that the owner stored in the basement and never used.  It was even still in the factory wrapping and boxes!   Very Happy
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 11:40:55 AM by Runner »

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 11:38:56 AM »

Here is the donor frame Jeep.  It's been abused and has a ratty interior, but runs well and has a rust free frame.  Also, to my surprise it has a HP dana 30 front axle that someone installed.  I plan to start the swap around the 3rd week of April and hope to be done by June.  We'll see though!

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 06:20:03 AM »

Progress has been way slower than I had hoped on this project.  I did finally manage to roll into the garage a set of Dana 44 Rubicon rears that I have, on a rusted frame, so I can start cleaning and prepping them.  However, all I have done thus far is to disconnect everything from the rears, with the exception of the lower control arms.  Once that's done, I'll discard this frame and bring in the red donor frame Jeep to begin the dismantling process on it.  The goal is to have that stripped down over the next couple of weeks, so I can get that frame prepped.  

The order of battle looks something like this:
1. Clean and prep dana 44 rears
2. Dismantle the red donor Jeep
3. Clean and prep frame from the red donor Jeep
4. Install Dana 44 rears and new 3.5" lift suspension on the donor Jeep frame
5. Roll in the green Jeep and swap in the new frame

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:50:13 AM by Runner »

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 12:07:35 PM »

After having this on the back burner due to other priorities, including a new family member almost here, I'm back on task.  There is one twist though.  My original plan was to build the green Jeep, using the red Jeep frame.  However, after discovering that the red one came from California, and has literally zero rust anywhere, I've now decided to build it instead.

Since the LJ is largely Metalcloak and UCF based, I'd like to do something different here.  This time around the goal will be to build a lightweight Savvy armored TJ.  I also decided to go the manual route, despite saying I'd never have a manual again for off-road use. This is what happens when you help a buddy install a Rockland Standard Terminator AX15.  The transmission, coupled with a B&M shifter, is hands down the nicest manual I've ever driven.  Now, I'll be ordering this combination over the next week or so.  

Waiting in the garage already is a stack of parts, including:
-new hood
-new fenders
-used replacement grill
-new Bushwacker flat fender flares
-Metalcloak 3.5 Short Arm kit (from another project)
-Bilstein 5100 shocks (from another project)
-and a long list of cooling system, suspension, and other maintenance related parts

I've already refreshed a set of Rubicon Dana 44 axles I had, as well as a 241OR transfer case.  The front axle has been trussed and I'm still debating on whether I'll do the rear.  Since I'm going to be disassembling the whole Jeep, I plan to do a complete paint job, with a new color.  Thus far I haven't picked the color.  

To complete the outside, I placed an order this week for the following Savvy armor:

Aluminum Savvy Gas Tank Skid 1997-2006 TJ/LJ
Item #: SAV-GTS

Savvy Off Road Front Bumper TJ/LJ 97-06 Ultimate 1/4" Aluminum
Item #: SAV-TJFU
- Recovery Hook:
- Recovery Points (pair)
- Light Tabs (pair)
- Fairllead Mount:
- TJ Winch Guard w/o Thimble guard

Aluminum Tailgate Skin for 97-02 No Vent Jeep Wrangler TJ
Item #: SAV-TGE

Tub Sliders - TJ Stainless Steel Tub Rub Rails Item #: SAV-TJSR

Steering Box Protection - Savvy Aluminum TJ/LJ 97-06 Item #: SAV-TJSS

Under Armor Modular Manual 1997-2002
Modular Under Armor: Main Kit, Plus Engine/ Transmission Skid Plate (Full Kit)
Item #: UAM-Early

Aluminum Tailgate Valance 97-06
Item #: SAV-VLNC

Savvy TJ Rock Step Steel Sliders
Item #: SAV-RKRTJ

Savvy Aluminum TJ Full Corner Armor
Item #: SAV-TJCNR with 3/8" Aluminum Inside Tub Backing Plate: Year: 1997-2003

Savvy Off Road Rear Receiver Bumper TJ/LJ 1997-2006
Item #: SAV-TJRH

I'm looking forward to this build and can't wait to wheel it this Summer.  More to come as things proceed!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 12:09:40 PM by Runner »

JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Richmond, VA
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 02:05:19 PM »

Sounds like a great project. Look forward to seeing the progress as the parts come in and are installed.

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 07:26:36 PM »

Did you swap the HD 30 for a 44?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 05:17:23 PM »

Did you swap the HD 30 for a 44?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The red Jeep came with a HP Dana 30 that someone else installed.  I'm pulling that, and the Dana 35, to install a set of Rubicon Dana 44 axles I've had in the garage for a while.

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 09:21:19 PM »

Documenting.....disassembly process has begun. In several weeks this will be a vastly different vehicle.

Before:

Interior seats and console removed:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:35:51 PM by Runner »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: