Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 16, 2019, 07:10:22 PM

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Runners Build Take Two - Project Kids Jeep  (Read 19789 times)
unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2019, 02:07:25 PM »

I havenít seen the steering riser thing before. Whatís the rationale on what it fixes?

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2019, 05:51:56 PM »

I havenít seen the steering riser thing before. Whatís the rationale on what it fixes?

When you do a BL, MML, and an ultra tummy tuck (i.e. like the Savvy Under Armor) the steering shaft rubs on the bottom where it goes through the firewall.  The steering riser helps re-center the steering shaft in the rubber boot.  It was definitely needed on mine, because there is only 1/4" between the transfer case and the tub.

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2019, 06:05:34 PM »

When you do a BL, MML, and an ultra tummy tuck (i.e. like the Savvy Under Armor) the steering shaft rubs on the bottom where it goes through the firewall.  The steering riser helps re-center the steering shaft in the rubber boot.  It was definitely needed on mine, because there is only 1/4" between the transfer case and the tub.

Makes sense. I wasnít aware of such a project years ago when I had a similar set.

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2019, 07:00:39 AM »

Makes sense. I wasnít aware of such a project years ago when I had a similar set.

This is the first time I've ever had to use one.  Every time I turned the steering wheel I had an annoying squeak, which turned out to be the steering shaft rubbing hard on the rubber firewall boot.  If not replaced, it would have eventually worn a hole in the boot, which would then let water, mud, etc. through the firewall.  It's not a pricey part at $40, but the install can be a bear if there's rust.  It also gave me the opportunity to re-grease the roller bearings in the steering shaft, which were bone dry.  After the install I could tell a noticeable difference in steering response and feel.

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2019, 07:12:57 AM »

I installed the rear seat last night and new wiper blades.  My "done" list is now down to:

- Install the air pump, air line, and switches for the lockers
 - Install the Metalcloak front differential cover
 - Install Tuffy Glovebox
 - Change the oil and get it inspected

I'm sure there's something else I missed, but I'm hoping to be able to finally drive it by this weekend.  We'll see!

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2019, 07:20:55 AM »

- Oil Change and Filter
 - New Cap and Rotor (Had a slight miss, which turned out to be a bad (New) distributor cap)
 - Savvy Steering Box Skid
 - EMP Radiator Guard
 - Metalcloak Front Dana 44 Cover & Fresh Gear Oil (1.75 qts)

Now is the time to figure out....keep or sell    Duh

Redleg
Committee: Trail Rides
« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2019, 08:17:07 AM »

- Oil Change and Filter
 - New Cap and Rotor (Had a slight miss, which turned out to be a bad (New) distributor cap)
 - EMP Radiator Guard

Hard to let go after all that work, man.  Awesome job on this thing.

Bill
President - Black Goat Off-Road Club
2016 JKU Sahara -4.5 Metal Cloak Lock n Load long arm, 38" Milestars, Pro Rock 44, 4.88 gears/Arb Lockers etc.
1998 TJ Crawler -  back half'd, tons, LS, Atlas, ORI Struts and custom cage, 42s, etc.
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2019, 08:58:40 AM »

- Oil Change and Filter
 - EMP Radiator Guard

Hard to let it go, but I'm also inclined to point out that the TJ resale market is absolutely off the rails right now.  People are dying for these things in good condition.  Runner's Jeep would probably sell for MORE than new at this point on the used market.

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2019, 09:05:29 AM »

- Oil Change and Filter
 - EMP Radiator Guard

Hard to let it go, but I'm also inclined to point out that the TJ resale market is absolutely off the rails right now.  People are dying for these things in good condition.  Runner's Jeep would probably sell for MORE than new at this point on the used market.

I would HEAVILY Debate that, Most i've seen listed have been in the 9-13 range but have only sold for 4-7

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2019, 09:10:07 AM »

- Oil Change and Filter
 - EMP Radiator Guard

I would HEAVILY Debate that, Most i've seen listed have been in the 9-13 range but have only sold for 4-7

Yeah?  Could be because I'm focusing more on the retail resale side instead of Craigslist and private sales, but based on my very limited and likely flawed knowledge I'd say this is easily a $20k Jeep...but maybe I'm wrong?  I also don't want to insult Runner if he has a higher number than that in mind.  It's probably rude of me to speculate value on someone else's Jeep.  Dunno?

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2019, 11:13:00 AM »

It should go for a high amount. The problem is finding the buyer who isnít a cheapskate.  (Ask me how I know)

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
Redleg
« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2019, 12:47:49 PM »

It should go for a high amount. The problem is finding the buyer who isn’t a cheapskate.  (Ask me how I know)

Which, pretty much every single buyer is.  Its hard to get people to pay what you're selling is worth, unless they really appreciate what it is you are selling.  Anyone who knows Jeeps is going to know that the quality of work/time he put into this, validates the price tag.  However, those that don't know Jeeps and the amount of meticulous work he has put in it, will try to low ball all day.  Its annoying to deal with those people.  That's why for me, I am only putting that much work/money into something I want for myself.

Bill
2016 JKU Sahara -4.5 Metal Cloak Lock n Load long arm, 38" Milestars, Pro Rock 44, 4.88 gears/Arb Lockers etc.
1998 TJ Crawler -  back half'd, tons, LS, Atlas, ORI Struts and custom cage, 42s, etc.
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2019, 06:33:21 PM »

It should go for a high amount. The problem is finding the buyer who isnít a cheapskate.  (Ask me how I know)

Which, pretty much every single buyer is.  Its hard to get people to pay what you're selling is worth, unless they really appreciate what it is you are selling.  Anyone who knows Jeeps is going to know that the quality of work/time he put into this, validates the price tag.  However, those that don't know Jeeps and the amount of meticulous work he has put in it, will try to low ball all day.  Its annoying to deal with those people.  That's why for me, I am only putting that much work/money into something I want for myself.

This was intended to be a keeper, but now is just a reminder of good intentions gone bad.  The biggest disappointment is that I used everything I've learned over the years when putting it back together.  This one really was a labor of love and there is something incredibly rewarding about taking someones else's throw away and turning it into a gem.  Everywhere I drive it people stop me and want to talk about it.

As for the Jeep, it was built specifically to handle tough trails, serve as a daily driver, and look darn good doing both.  It was no small task to get the transmission and transfer case near flat with the frame.  The net result though is a TJ sitting on 31" tires that has the same clearance, at the skid, as my LJ on 35s.

You're definitely right about being hard to sell though.  The good news is they do sell high, in this condition, but you have to be patient.  In this case, I can wait as long as needed to sell.  If necessary, I can also pull the drivetrain and take it back to stock.  I've gotten really efficient at that and can do the job in a weekend. 

If this sells, I may consider picking up a 4 door.  OMG.....did I just say that out loud!    Jeep Wave

Redleg
« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2019, 03:55:24 PM »

This was intended to be a keeper, but now is just a reminder of good intentions gone bad.  The biggest disappointment is that I used everything I've learned over the years when putting it back together.  This one really was a labor of love and there is something incredibly rewarding about taking someones else's throw away and turning it into a gem.  Everywhere I drive it people stop me and want to talk about it.

As for the Jeep, it was built specifically to handle tough trails, serve as a daily driver, and look darn good doing both.  It was no small task to get the transmission and transfer case near flat with the frame.  The net result though is a TJ sitting on 31" tires that has the same clearance, at the skid, as my LJ on 35s.

You're definitely right about being hard to sell though.  The good news is they do sell high, in this condition, but you have to be patient.  In this case, I can wait as long as needed to sell.  If necessary, I can also pull the drivetrain and take it back to stock.  I've gotten really efficient at that and can do the job in a weekend. 

If this sells, I may consider picking up a 4 door.  OMG.....did I just say that out loud!    Jeep Wave
Uh oh! Joining the dark side!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Bill
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2019, 11:44:42 PM »

I'm closing in on done (for now). Replaced the battery cable ends

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 10:10:09 AM by Runner »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: