Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 19, 2019, 07:29:08 AM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Runners Build Take Two - Project Kids Jeep  (Read 20960 times)
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 09:47:07 PM »

Plan of attack will include something like:

1.   Interior removal
    2.   Underside, tub, and engine compartment power wash
    3.   Hood, fender, and grill removal
    4.   Cooling system replacement
    5.   Valve cover gasket, timing chain, and ignition system replacement
    6.   Axle removal (front and rear)
    7.   Oil pump and rear main seal
    8.   Dana 44 axles and lift installed
    9.   Body and paint
    10. Body & MML
    11. Electrical/harness updates
    12. New interior install
    13. 241OR Transfer case and driveshafts
    14. Armor install
    15. Tire and wheels
    16. New soft top

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:39:43 PM by Runner »

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 09:51:05 PM »

Wow. That TJ needs a loving touch. Can't wait to see it as it progresses

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2017, 04:41:40 PM »

Managed to get new spark plugs, distributor, and wires installed this morning.  The plugs were definitely past due.  While I was replacing them I ran a compression test on the engine, before going to the trouble of putting in a new rear main seal and oil pump.  Even with 196K on it all six were between 155 -160 psi.  Gotta love that 4.0l!

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 08:03:43 AM »

Got the cooling system removed and while it was out I replaced the valve cover gasket.  Considering the engine has almost 200K on it, I was extremely happy to see zero sludge on and around the valvetrain.

Since I was putting in a new valve cover gasket, I also replaced the Crankcase Ventilation Valves (CCV).  These are two different parts, with Doorman 47057 being the small orifice tube at the back of the engine and 47079 the large orifice tube at the front.  There are also two Doorman 42344 rubber grommets used.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:07:21 AM by Runner »

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 05:21:09 AM »

Not much time yesterday, due to a minor set back from a bad alternator that I bought from Advance.  Turns out the cooling fins were hitting the alternator body as they rotated.  So much for quality control.  Advance was great about it and I was able to exchange it for a new one, which is now installed.  I also started to sort through the pile of parts waiting to be installed.  The picture below is only a partial pile, but shows how fast it can add up.   Shocked 

Parts waiting to go on include:

New steering & front end components
New cooling system
New A/C system
New brake system
New Oil pump & RMS
Metalcloak SA lift
Bilstein shocks
Savvy Skids
Revolution Axles
Bushwacker flares
and much more

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 09:27:11 PM »

Ignition and cooling system is done.  This past weekend I gutted the rest of the interior, cleaned all interior pieces, repaired HVAC, and power washed the underside of the Jeep in preparation for yanking out the rears.  I need to get the new rears set in place, along with the lift, steering, and brakes, before I can do the paint work.  I have 5 weeks left to finish and at this pace I'm going to be close on making the completed project deadline.  I'm currently waiting on the Savvy transfer case and oil pan armor, as well as the full corners to arrive.  Hopefully they'll get here in the next two weeks!

GOTOMAN
Committee: Events
people just dont get it !!
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 04:28:03 PM »

Thumbs Up.......... Bring out your popcorn

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 09:18:26 PM »

Made some progress over the last couple days.

Power washed the dirty engine compartment and entire underside

Removed the entire front axle, steering, and suspension

Removed front bumper, sway bar, driver side fender, and cleaned and painted the front frame section on both sides

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 08:00:35 PM »

Got the oil pan removed this evening.  Broke one of the bolts while removing the exhaust to drop the pan.  Always something else to fix!   Twisted Evil

Osiris
Forum User
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »

Man you do some great work. Want to do my JK's frame and undercarriage? Wink

Bobby

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 09:24:20 PM »

LOL, I barely get my own stuff done!  Speaking of which, new rear main seal, oil pump, oil pump pickup, and oil pan gasket are in.

DAMTALL
Thread Jackin' 24/7
Committee: Events
JEEP stands for Personal Freedom and Happiness!!
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2017, 07:27:05 AM »

LOL, I barely get my own stuff done!  Speaking of which, new rear main seal, oil pump, oil pump pickup, and oil pan gasket are in.

On the frame, do you use a rattle can or paint brush because there are no spots painted mistakenly!!  Shocked

Big Mike - 2012 JKU Crush, 2.5" Teraflex Lift with Shocks, JKS Quick Discos, RockHard4x4 Skids and Evap Relocation Bracket, JCR Crusader Bumpers (mid-width front, mid-width rear), Teraflex HD hinge tire carrier, SmittyBilt h2o winch, 16x8 ATX wheels with 315-75-16 General Grabber AT2's.
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 07:51:50 AM »

Also wondering what you use to strip the frame.  Just a wire brush, or something more serious?

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2017, 10:55:21 AM »

On the frame, do you use a rattle can or paint brush because there are no spots painted mistakenly!!  Shocked

My process is cheap, usually less than $30 in external paint, but manually intensive.  It looks something like this:

- Rinse frame and spray with Purple Power
- Power wash or clean everything I can with a nylon brush
- Let it dry
- Cover the parts I don't want painted with newspaper
- Spray the entire outside of the frame with Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer and let dry
- Then cover that with a cheap rattle can satin black, like Walmart brand

For the inside of the frame I use Eastwood's internal frame coating (2 cans at a cost of $30 -$40, depending if I catch it on sale) to protect that  --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm7W7Db5vdw 

I do the external frame 2 - 3 times a year, and the internal every couple of years.  It may sound like a lot, but that's why my stuff stays relatively rust free.

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2017, 08:36:57 PM »

Works continues slowly. This past weekend I managed to disassemble the front dana 44 in preparation installing the new inner axle seals and the Revolution axles.  Since I picked up this rear from an unknown source, I wasn't sure what I would find.  Unfortunately, all was not good, but I was able to address most of the issues.  One of them being about 1/4" of mud and gear oil in both axle tubes.  Fortunately, a 1.5" piece of PVC pipe is a perfect fit for the axle tube. I was able to spray purple clean in the tubes, attach a round wheel brush to the end of the PVC, then clean out the heavy stuff from both both tubes.

Everything is now cleaned up, fixed (mostly) and I should have the front axle re-assembled this week and installed with the front lift.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:40:41 PM by Runner »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: