Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
December 12, 2018, 04:49:45 AM

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Runners Build Take Two - Project Kids Jeep  (Read 9117 times)
Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2018, 10:36:28 AM »

Did those seats clean up that nice? That interior looks awesome!

Yep!  I power washed them, then painted the metal on the bottoms of the seats.  With the exception of the small rip on the driver side bottom vinyl, they turned out almost like new.   Thumbs Up

2004 Wrangler Unlimited - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2018, 11:02:28 AM »

so this and the lj will be at the show and shine right??

They had better be

That's the plan!  Starting on the Savvy skid system this weekend, which is my last big/difficult item.  On the plus side, I just went thru an install of one of these on my buddies TJ Rubicon.  It's by far the most difficult skid system I've had to install, but offers the most clearance you can get without "major" modifications.  Also, it has a cross member that allows you to remove the skid system, but still holds the transmission and transfer case in place.  With the Savvy under armor installed, I can set the rear axle pinion angle and finally order drive-shafts.

I'm still planning an automatic swap, but since I have a Rubicon case in it, I'm willing to run the manual for a while.  Handling the clutch offroad is much easier with the 4:1 ratio. Below isn't mine, but a picture of what the Savvy setup looks like.  Now I have to resist the temptation to get their new "mid arm" kit for the LJ.......the madness never stops!    Duh

2004 Wrangler Unlimited - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2018, 06:56:41 PM »

I planned on working on the skid system, but that didn't happen.  Instead, I had to re-align the hood, because it was rubbing on the grill. I then installed a set of Rugged Ridge hood latches, thanks to Dan. 

I also painted and installed the LOD rear bumper, then finally installed the rear tailgate.

Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2018, 09:54:23 PM »

Inching towards completion.  This weekend a complete new clutch system went in, a B&M Billet Sport shifter (30% reduction in shift distance), and I got the Savvy full skid cross member in. On 33" tires I now have 19" of clearance at the transfer case skid (For reference, the stock skid on 30 x 9.50 tires is around 11").  With the larger Rubicon transfer case, the tummy tuck was extreme for sure. I had dimple the floor for clearance between it and the case.  

The beauty of the Savvy system is that you can drop the skid, but the transfer case is still supported by the cross member.  However, installing it is not for the faint of heart and requires a lot of tweaking to clearance everything from the radiator shroud to the tub.  

Complete New Clutch System

Front of Savvy Cross member

Rear of Savvy Cross member

Cross member trans mount

Cross member bolts to frame

B&M Shifter

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:56:19 PM by Runner »

highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2018, 07:58:04 AM »

Awesome work Cheers It's turning out amazing.

HighlanderCJ-7
Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2018, 05:42:19 PM »

Spent more quality time looking at the bottom of the Jeep.  Mocked up an entire new exhaust, to include down pipe, catalytic converter, NTK O2 sensors, flowmaster style muffler, and tailpipe.  The Savvy under armor pushes everything up to the point where there is only 2" of space left to clearance the muffler between the heat shield and the Savvy cross-member. I also had to cut 2" off the end of the down pipe, to move the converter forward a little.  I'll need to extend the tail pipe to make up for the difference, but it's close enough that I can make it work without having to visit an exhaust shop.

Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2018, 05:47:17 AM »

Even with the Holidays, my Son being admitted to the hospital for a few days, and the cold weather, I managed to get the BedRug and Tuffy console installed. I was going to line the interior, but after cleaning everything up, the floor was in remarkably good shape, largely an artifact of this being a California Jeep (No rust whatsoever... Wink ).  Of course a garage with heat helps! 

BedRug installed...

How is this bedrug working out for you? The more I read into it the more I think Iím going to go that route for my TJ. The trans tunnel insulation plus the clean/factory look for something thatís going to be primarily a street Jeep is winning me over. Does it really seem like it would be that easy to pull out and clean under, then reinstall? In the event that water or something does get in there.

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2018, 05:58:03 AM »

Does that SAVY cross member have spring bushings in it for the transmission isolation? I think I may have to build one in that fashion for the CJ to get the clearance I been searching for.

HighlanderCJ-7
Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2018, 07:58:52 AM »

How is this bedrug working out for you? The more I read into it the more I think Iím going to go that route for my TJ. The trans tunnel insulation plus the clean/factory look for something thatís going to be primarily a street Jeep is winning me over. Does it really seem like it would be that easy to pull out and clean under, then reinstall? In the event that water or something does get in there.

I've also been running with the Bedrug in my LJ for two years now.  I typically leave my floor drain plugs out, because I rarely ever put the windows in and want the rain that gets in to drain.  Last year I had to remove the BedRug to clean up mud and water that filled the floor when I went wheeling and forgot to put the plugs back in.  Removing it is no more difficult than pulling out factory carpet.  The good thing is the BedRug doesn't get the "funky" smell regular carpet does when wet.

sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2018, 08:16:10 AM »

I've also been running with the Bedrug in my LJ for two years now.  I typically leave my floor drain plugs out, because I rarely ever put the windows in and want the rain that gets in to drain.  Last year I had to remove the BedRug to clean up mud and water that filled the floor when I went wheeling and forgot to put the plugs back in.  Removing it is no more difficult than pulling out factory carpet.  The good thing is the BedRug doesn't get the "funky" smell regular carpet does when wet.

I've seen the Bedrug in a couple Jeeps now besides Runner's, and it always looks super clean.  They also make the BedTred if you want the rubberized type stuff, but I'd think the Rug would be better in a Jeep to help with wind noise and the like.  It's on my list to hopefully get this summer....

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2018, 11:11:54 AM »

Does that SAVY cross member have spring bushings in it for the transmission isolation? I think I may have to build one in that fashion for the CJ to get the clearance I been searching for.

See the two bolts below the transfer case?  That's the isolation for the transmission.  The pictures below are of the back (top) and front (bottom) of the cross-member.

Back

Front

Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2018, 05:59:30 PM »

I've seen the Bedrug in a couple Jeeps now besides Runner's, and it always looks super clean.  They also make the BedTred if you want the rubberized type stuff, but I'd think the Rug would be better in a Jeep to help with wind noise and the like.  It's on my list to hopefully get this summer....

Nice. Well itís safe to say you guys sold me on it. Bedrug it is.

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2018, 06:28:50 PM »

Rotated the pinion, so both it and the driveshaft line up at 23į. Then, extended the rear shock mounts to clearance the shocks from hitting the lower spring perch.  I used a Currie lower shock extension kit, CE-9601, which was a quality piece.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 09:47:13 AM by Runner »

Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2018, 09:59:31 AM »

The exhaust needs work, but I finally finished the Savvy Under Armor install on the '99.  Sitting on 33" tires, I now have 18+ inches of clearance at the transfer case.  By comparison my LJ, sitting on 35s, has 17" of clearance with the UCF skid.

Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2018, 10:10:04 AM »

Was able to repair one of the factory air pumps I had and installed them under the hood.  I still need to wire them up and run the air line.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: