Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 19, 2019, 07:54:51 AM

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Runners Build Take Two - Project Kids Jeep  (Read 20962 times)
highlandercj-7
Member 2019
« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2019, 09:51:20 AM »

Those are the best terminals ever.

HighlanderCJ-7
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2019, 10:13:00 AM »

Those are the best terminals ever.

Definitely happy with how these turned out.  It was a bunch of work solder and heat-shrink the terminals though.

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2019, 10:38:53 AM »

Although Jeeps are never truly done, I installed the last big piece, a new sailcloth soft top, and can declare victory on this one. Brought back from the dead, it turned out way better than I expected!

Started out like this:

Ended up like this:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 10:46:22 AM by Runner »

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2019, 06:04:57 AM »

I've now been driving the Jeep back and fourth to work for two weeks and here's my perspective on it...

Pros:
- No mechanical or electrical issues surfaced and it's been rock solid reliable
- No vibrations
- Brakes are functioning amazingly well (Used a pressurized bleeder for the first time and I'm sold on them)
- Steering is incredibly responsive and nimble
- Everywhere I go someone asks me about the Jeep

Cons:
- Manual transmission in N.Va traffic
- Visibility, with the top on, is typical Wrangler, it sucks
- Gas mileage sucks
- Ride is choppier/firmer than I'd like
- Noisy
- Space is limited
- Everywhere I go someone asks me about the Jeep

Bottom line, with all the typical Jeep Wrangler drawbacks, I still smile every time I drive it.  I might have done a few things differently, but that's for another post.  To close this one out, I'll be pulling together a complete parts list and posting it in the build thread.

0IIIIIII0

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2019, 10:56:55 AM »

Just when you think you have the wrinkles ironed out, you find another one.  I started experiencing what I'd qualify as a loss of power, through parasitic drag.  After spending considerable time trying to figure out what was wrong, I discovered the 241OR transfer case was likely the problem.  However, I couldn't confirm this without removing it.  That said, out it came yesterday and my suspicions were correct.  With the case removed I could barely spin the input (on the transmission side).  Knowing that, in went the spare 241 case I had on the parts shelf.  Of course this required another parts run, because the output yoke seal was leaking on the spare.  Thankfully, Advance had one in stock.  

Thanks to my buddies help, the job took us around 7.5 hours to complete.  This included a 2 hour trip to town and back, cleaning up the dirty spare case before installation, and making a couple modifications to the Savvy transmission cross member for better exhaust clearance.  The power issue is resolved, but if I keep this one lockout hubs will have to be a long term addition.  The always spinning front driveshaft is just something I don't like!    

They're definitely on the pricey side, but these are the most innovative design I've seen to date.

http://therammaninc.com/products/shop_view/1999-2006-JEEP-WRANGLER-4X4-UNIT-BEARING-LOCKING-HUB-KIT-345

https://vimeo.com/187398808
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 11:21:12 AM by Runner »

highlandercj-7
Member 2019
« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2019, 12:16:06 AM »

For what that kit costs you can almost vou a complete D44 or 9" and run 5 on 5.5" std lock outs.

HighlanderCJ-7
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2019, 09:57:12 AM »

For what that kit costs you can almost vou a complete D44 or 9" and run 5 on 5.5" std lock outs.

Agreed.  I don't think I'd buy them, but I like the idea.  If I did go down this path it would likely be a ProRock 44/60 hybrid.  I could always sell the Dana 44 front axle to help offset the cost, but it's only a thought for now.

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #157 on: April 09, 2019, 09:03:03 PM »

During the build process I normally just bite the bullet and order new driveshafts for the front and rear.  However, in this case I ordered a new front shaft, but used a good trail spare for the rear.  On the way home today guess what failed?  If you guessed the rear driveshaft you'd be correct!  Before ordering a new rear shaft though I'm taking a pause.  Reason being, I have a complete Jeep with a good 32RH automatic and I'm now considering pulling that and making the conversion to an auto.   Duh

highlandercj-7
Member 2019
« Reply #158 on: April 10, 2019, 07:44:49 AM »

BLAH! Leave the MT, a drive shaft is short work, pop it in and be done. You have done enough re-work on this jewel.

HighlanderCJ-7
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #159 on: April 10, 2019, 10:40:20 PM »

BLAH! Leave the MT, a drive shaft is short work, pop it in and be done. You have done enough re-work on this jewel.

x2! Especially if you don't have long-term keeping plans.  Though it stands to reason most Jeep folks don't have a pristine built LJ in addition to this gem.

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #160 on: April 11, 2019, 05:33:12 AM »

x2! Especially if you don't have long-term keeping plans.  Though it stands to reason most Jeep folks don't have a pristine built LJ in addition to this gem.

The long term plan for this one is part of the problem.  I built it for a purpose, i.e. to have a second Jeep for my kids to drive on wheeling trips.  That didn't work out, so now it's a Jeep I really don't need.  That said, it's also hard to part with, given all the work that's gone into it.  Also, for me, there is something magical about the TJ/LJ platform.  It just feels right when I drive it.  If I do keep it, an automatic will absolutely go in.  If not, your points are well taken, just fix the drive shaft and drive it.  I did pull the shaft apart last night, in preparation for re-building it.  While doing so, I discovered a couple things I didn't like, so I'll be ordering a new one and fixing this one as a spare. 

My only real concern at this point is if I buy a new drive shaft now, I might be doing it again.  Reason being, the 32RH is the shortest transmission Jeep used in the TJ, which means the rear drive shaft would need to be longer to account for that.  I don 't exactly know what the difference will be, so I might cheat a little when ordering the new one.  Regardless, I do see the LJ looking over at the TJ and sneering.  Kind of like an older brother who's jealous that his younger brother is getting all the attention!

Jeep Wave     

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2019, 11:16:04 AM »

I ordered a new Tom Woods rear drive shaft, which is now installed.  After test driving the Jeep, I'm going to declare victory and the completion on the restification of another TJ.  I pulled out all the stops when doing this one and applied everything I've learned over the years.  As is always the case, my goal was to stay as close as possible to the original TJ design, but use the best bolt on parts to make it even better.  In this case, I believe I've succeeded.  The Jeep now looks, rides, and performs exactly like I wanted it to.  

Admittedly, this one took way longer than normal for me, 3 years from start to finish, but that was largely do to decisions to prioritize family first.  That said, this was also a complete disassembly and rebuild of almost everything.  All work was done by either myself, aided frequently with the help of my best friend, with no corners being cut.
When all said and done, here's the modification breakdown:

- ZJ steering upgrade
 - Rotor and brake pad upgrade
 - Daystar 1" BL
 - Brown Dog 1" MML
 - M.O.R.E 1" steering riser
 - Metalcloak contol arms, track bars, and sway bar disconnect
 - Artec lower control arm mounts
 - Nth Degree 3" springs
 - OME shocks
 - Savvy Gas tank skid
 - Savvy Under Armor (full aluminum transfer case, transmission, and oil pan skid)
 - Savvy full aluminum corner armor
 - Savvy aluminum tailgate armor
 - Genright aluminum 1/2 door armor
 - Genright TJ/LJ Flak-Jacket tub panel guards - aluminum
 - LoD rear bumper with added LED back up lights
 - Poison Spyder BFH front bumper
 - MORryde heavy duty swing out tire carrier
 - Smittybuilt Gen 2 XRC 9500 winch with synthetic line
 - Dana 44 front with Revolution Gear 1350 axles, RCV seal savers, and air locker
 - Dana 44 rear with revolution axles, new bearings, and air locker
 - Metalcloak differential covers
 - 241OR Rubicon transfer case
 - Tom Woods drive shafts
 - AX15 B&M Sport Shifter
 - Full Bedrug
 - Tuffy console
 - Upgraded Halogen headlights
 - LED Dash lights
 - Ford Windstar air box modification (pulls cool air from cowl panel)
 - Exhaust header and flowmaster muffler (entire exhaust is held in place with band clamps)
 - Upgraded stereo, amplifier, and speakers

I'm sure there is more, but you get the idea!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 09:34:33 AM by Runner »

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #162 on: May 28, 2019, 08:40:55 PM »

Wrapped up the last thing needed to finish this off.  I wired up the new locker pumps and installed them under the hood.  Kind of goofy to finish this, especially given it's likely to have the Rubicon drivetrain yanked and brought back to stock, if it doesn't sell.  At least it will be done for the Show & Shine.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: