Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
December 14, 2019, 12:13:33 AM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailer wiring where everythings made up and the colors dont matter  (Read 10598 times)
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 02:19:57 PM »

I'm not trying to kill you on this Stephen but every time your wiring something your complaining about something hacked up. I tried to help you on this like twice before. Your traditional wiring diagram is what I/we use. Secure the wires good to the frame and use the heat shrink connectors and it should last years. If you use scotch locks for your splices then your just waiting your time.

I appreciate the help. I've learned a lot from Nick helping last time and doing what you suggested. Everything is soldered and heat shrunk and secured to the frame. Loom over everything exposed and electrical tape is color coded for easy tracing. 

The jeeps another story hack wise. I was in it so many different times and with various levels of care and concern that was mainly fixed up with the spod.

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
overhead
Club President
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 02:33:44 PM »

Seriously? I can't find ONE diagram that's the same as another online. I'm rewiring my 18ft car hauler trailer to add in an electronic brake away controller. The old controller was wired into the black and white wire. Power and ground, it was no circuit board just a basic one that was kinda not wired in. Lots of vampire splices, loose crimps, bad grounds, and a broken light.

So I got a new break controller and new lights.

Went to wire everything in on a cold afternoon with no wiring diagram.... so No bueno

So fine! Looking at the 7 pin connector, it's time for a new one. Cool I can deal.

Order in a new 7 pin 7 wire connector, some solder, a new circuit tester, a distribution box,  and a ton of heatshrink.

So now the install, Mount the new box, Check, Mount the new controller, check. paint and spray, check. cool Cut the 7pin off.... 5 wires. not 7. Frick.

So lets try it, brown to brown, green to green, blue to... Nothing. Ok I can do this, yellow to yellow. AWESOME GOT IT.

NOPE. Dragging breaks, when I hit the hazards I'm not flashing the break lights.... I'm flashing the breaks... SWEET. So find a wiring diagram. k I'm getting closer.

The break controller won't work with the 5 wire set up, only 7. So I need to convert the rest of the trailer to 7 wire. Which, honestly is for the best.

So my 30 min fix, has turned into $250 in supplies, 4 days of 4+ hours of work. and I'm just now getting to the meat and potatos of this. So I'm making my own, chasing the actual signals from the truck and making this custom. Follow along! Pics to follow.

So I'm clearly not tracking with something you said.

You stated you're adding in an electronic break away controller.......and then you said you added a new brake controller.

These are two different things in the trailer world.  A "break away controller" is a 12 volt battery mounted on the tongue of the trailer, with wires that connect into the brake circuit.  When a trip cable is pulled (when your trailer breaks free from your truck), it applies the brakes on the trailer. This is an emergency only solution to stopping your trailer ----  A brake controller is a piece of electronics that mounts under your dashboard and applies graduating amounts of electricity to your trailer brakes when you slow down your truck.  The different types of brake control may change the type of connector you use on the trailer (4 or 7 pin). Both types can be used at the same time, but don't have to be.  There are two other types of brake controller too, but I don't think those are what you are working on.  Some more info would help me.

I've got both on the rig. A prodigy p3 and https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Breakaway-Kit/Hopkins/20099.html

I mixed words and confused you my apologies.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

overhead
Club President
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 02:40:00 PM »

Damien I do appreciate the offer it's just trying to find time to run down there is the issue. With the wiring diagram from the RV standard and a lot of guidance from Nick everything is coming together. The inspection needs to happen any way for VA because I failed in January for a signal light out. I'm not utterly upset. Words just come across so amazingly well on the internet. This was mainly started to just vent about how many different diagrams I could find.l and how none seems applicable. Now it's just turned into a bit of a track of the work done

overhead
Club President
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 09:13:39 PM »

This may all be for naught. Trailer got hit today not sure how bad till the daylight. Gotta call a cop to talk about it. Wooooohoooo

zuke
Forum User
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 09:27:57 PM »

This may all be for naught. Trailer got hit today not sure how bad till the daylight. Gotta call a cop to talk about it. Wooooohoooo

Damn! That sucks...

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
overhead
Club President
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 09:44:06 PM »

Update, Sedan hit the F-150 parked about 8ft behind me. put the truck through my tailgate.  Shocked moved my truck about 3ft up and 4ft out. doesn't look to bad but def took out one of the gates not sure on the frame of the trailer or any of the pull equipment for the truck.

was told the driver is alive. No pictures yet. You know how insurances can be.

edit: trailer looks like the majority of the damage is in the rear tailgates and ramps. I don't know the true extent of the damage nor will I till it gets up on a lift. but the right tailgate is crushed. The for naught comment might have been when the Adrenalin was high and I was slightly pissed.

trailer before for those of you who haven't seen the trailer

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 11:41:27 PM by overhead »

cwkann
WC, VRC, EC
Committee: Trail Rides
Winchester, VA
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 07:46:00 AM »

Sounds like this thing is the work of the DEBIL!

'03 Rubicon- 4.5" RE LA, 37"s, A bunch of skids by TNT, Poison Spyder, EMP, Rock Hard, Warn, Kilby and custom fab work.  CAI, Power chip, Exhaust, 4.88 gears and chromoly axles by Yukon. OBA and Powertank, one ton steering, Teraflex Swaybar system, MM 9500lb winch and a bunch of other stuff...
jwilson2598
Webmaster
BOD
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016, 09:08:15 AM »

Just a suggestion, but if it was hooked to your truck, I would get that checked out as well just to make sure some of the impact wasn't transferred to your hitch or frame...

Jeff

2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition, Warn winch, otherwise mostly stock
2004 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 2" lift, Moab wheels, 265/75/16 Wildpeak AT3W's, ZJ V8 steering upgrade
overhead
Club President
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 09:50:10 AM »

Just a suggestion, but if it was hooked to your truck, I would get that checked out as well just to make sure some of the impact wasn't transferred to your hitch or frame...

Already on it. The insurance person asked "I thought it was a three vehicle. Why are you adding the truck?"

I have not been that flabbergasted in a while.

I said "well the truck was attached to the trailer. And both of them moved about 4ft to the left....."

"Right I'll add that in sir"
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 01:18:03 PM by overhead »

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 06:03:35 PM »

Man rough luck. I hope the insurance company is kind and you can get your Jeep's warranty back on the road.

overhead
Club President
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 06:03:50 PM »

I'm not a fan of insurance. This has not been fun. I need to up my coverage on my trailers. But the at faults insurance is taking care of it. Worst though? They don't have adjustors the deal with this stuff. I take it to a shop of my choosing. Get a quote. They cut a check. This is gonna be fun so fun. This is after an investigation into weather or not they could cover it at all based on her coverage

cwkann
WC, VRC, EC
Committee: Trail Rides
Winchester, VA
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 07:32:53 AM »

Then your insurance company sucks.  The at fault person should cover it.  If they don't have enough coverage, your insurance company should cover it and sue the other company behind the scenes.  They shouldn't just let it go.  If that were the case I could get the lowest coverage available and just go smash into people and have my insurance only pay what they want.    Duh

'03 Rubicon- 4.5" RE LA, 37"s, A bunch of skids by TNT, Poison Spyder, EMP, Rock Hard, Warn, Kilby and custom fab work.  CAI, Power chip, Exhaust, 4.88 gears and chromoly axles by Yukon. OBA and Powertank, one ton steering, Teraflex Swaybar system, MM 9500lb winch and a bunch of other stuff...
overhead
Club President
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2016, 08:44:41 AM »

They're not letting it go. It's just they don't know how to deal with it. The at faults party is covering it. But they don't deal with trailers so I'm out at different shops today getting quotes for them on the work. And getting the trailer checked out to see if the frames bent.

zuke
Forum User
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2016, 12:21:12 PM »

They're not letting it go. It's just they don't know how to deal with it. The at faults party is covering it. But they don't deal with trailers so I'm out at different shops today getting quotes for them on the work. And getting the trailer checked out to see if the frames bent.

They don't have to know how to deal with it, go to a trailer dealer, and price a new trailer to replace your current one, tell them that's what you need to "Make you whole" and if they won't do it, they need to come up with an alternative, not you.

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
overhead
Club President
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2016, 03:27:18 PM »

got a few quotes today, lots of variance in pricing. Sent em over with the one i preferred to use and they cut a check, after the hassle of trying to get in touch with em it went rather quickly

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: