Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
August 23, 2017, 02:55:10 AM

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do to your Jeep today? - August 2017  (Read 2669 times)
Gr8Dain
Member 2017 VA4WD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2017, 04:18:53 PM »

Got a new CB setup (new to me)...ran the wire to the antennae...question I have is do I need a spring?  I see some setups with and some without.  Think I am gonna order that bracket from quadratec too...I like that location.

I do not run the spring on the antenna on my CJ. I have not had any reception issues. I had it but took it off as the antenna kept smacking the side of the Jeep. I understand that it is now a little more vulnerable to snapping if I go under a low branch, but I am OK with that risk.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
Nacho
Member 2017
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2017, 04:22:52 PM »

Got a new CB setup (new to me)...ran the wire to the antennae...question I have is do I need a spring?  I see some setups with and some without.  Think I am gonna order that bracket from quadratec too...I like that location.

I do not run the spring on the antenna on my CJ. I have not had any reception issues. I had it but took it off as the antenna kept smacking the side of the Jeep. I understand that it is now a little more vulnerable to snapping if I go under a low branch, but I am OK with that risk.
That is what I was worried about. I put the spring on but I think I'm going to take it off because I don't want it smacking up against my hardtop.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2017, 07:27:34 PM »

I run mine no spring too and it's been fine

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
Gogged
Member 2017
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2017, 08:48:18 PM »

Pulled the rear carpet up as it got rained on last night...only to discover that a local (not too far from Warrenton) off road shop punched two holes through the body while drilling out the broken upper shock bolts that I couldnt get out when I put my lift on last year..they were either too ignorant to realize they even did it or too crappy to tell me about it..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:07:17 PM by Gogged »

'06 TJ Sport 3" lift

I hate rusty bolts!
nosigma
Member 2017
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2017, 09:16:30 PM »

New project.  TJ gave me DW on the GW to and from work today.  Had the better half rock the wheel and saw deflection in the track bar bushing, vertical movement  in the track bar TRE and felt slop in the DS tie rod TRE.   Bought the parts and will install Sat.  All bad parts are oem at 140k, they owe me nothing.

John

As typical with an oem track bar r&r it  was complicated.

Torx bushing bolt was stuck.  2 days of pb blaster didnt help.  Heat didnt help.  Torx socket just kept popping out even though it wasnt stripped.  Angle grinder to cut flats in the head for a BIG channel lock didnt help.  Had to weld a nut on the head.  That worked wonderfully as it always does.

I hate Torx.

All done and no more DW.  Happy camper.

John
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:21:12 PM by nosigma »

VirginiaZJ "Frank, Stop. Don't come down here"
Somebody: "Is John in a predicament?"
VirginiaZJ "The front of his Jeep is facing me now"
Somebody: "Yeah, I guess that's a predicament"

Quote overhead
Thought I saw nosigma at eastern mountain sports but it turns out the guys xj had been sideswiped
sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2017, 01:15:40 PM »

Well, I broke the top 2 bolts holding the driver side fender to the tub. Am I ok with just 2 on the bottom? I sprayed them, heated them, everything and they are stuck. Thought I could get the second one out with vice grips but it wouldn't move.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 08:01:21 AM by sirjames186 »

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
overhead
Member 2017
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2017, 01:42:23 PM »

Blew a fuel line on the yj after it's been sitting. They no longer make the line I needed so it looks like I'm gonna switch over to an systems and new lines. Wooooo

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
DAMTALL
Thread Jackin' 24/7
Committee: Events
JEEP stands for Personal Freedom and Happiness!!
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2017, 03:56:41 PM »

Yesterday I had my rear brakes (pads and rotors) done along with a rear outer axle seal.  Thanks to Smiley T for introducing me to his brother Brett!!

Big Mike - 2012 JKU Crush, 2.5" Teraflex Lift with Shocks, JKS Quick Discos, RockHard4x4 Skids and Evap Bracket, JCR Crusader Bumpers (mid-width front, mid-width rear with tire carrier).
Gr8Dain
Member 2017 VA4WD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2017, 04:59:41 PM »

Drove it to AJ's to help diagnose some fuel issues with his big blue CJ7.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
02tj
Member 2017 VA4WD/BRC
Jeffersonton, Va
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2017, 01:21:07 AM »

Blew a fuel line on the yj after it's been sitting. They no longer make the line I needed so it looks like I'm gonna switch over to an systems and new lines. Wooooo

Wait... I have a set... yours bro. I pulled a motor from a 94 yj 2.5 for my willys build.

BPS_LJ
Member 2017
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2017, 07:50:14 AM »

After a month in Europe driving an eco box and hating being that close to the ground.. I drove Mine.....

as for working on it.. I am saving that for Sauza's Jeep..

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Redleg
Committee: Trail Rides
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2017, 08:50:47 AM »

Full Awn Fab strikes again!  Yeah, I called them out for you.  They have screwed more Jeeps than a lot of you know recently.  They should be avoided, multiple members are getting screwed by them/him recently.

Bill
majestek12
Forum User
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2017, 03:08:58 PM »

Got a new CB setup (new to me)...ran the wire to the antennae...question I have is do I need a spring?  I see some setups with and some without.  Think I am gonna order that bracket from quadratec too...I like that location.

That is what I was worried about. I put the spring on but I think I'm going to take it off because I don't want it smacking up against my hardtop

When I ran my hardtop I just drilled a hole in a tennis ball and put it over the antenna so that it would bounce against the hard top and not the antenna itself. I suppose just cutting a big enough slit would work as well. It lasted perfectly for years but eventually began to work its way down - I just put a zip tie around the antenna at the top and bottom of above and below the ball and it's still there to this day. Mine looks a little ratty and junky but you could always paint it or get a "fun color" tennis ball like the ones they sell at pet stores. Allowed me to run the spring and save the antenna and mount (honestly I'd be more worried about the mount/body/etc. than the antenna) without sacrificing the hardtop. I put the ball in a location that it would bounce against the glass and not the fiberglass. I have noticed that the "medium duty" springs are nowhere near strong enough to handle a >3 foot antenna, go with the HD. Tennis ball did not affect the tune of my antenna at all.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:33:53 PM by majestek12 »

Nacho
Member 2017
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2017, 06:47:20 PM »

Got a new CB setup (new to me)...ran the wire to the antennae...question I have is do I need a spring?  I see some setups with and some without.  Think I am gonna order that bracket from quadratec too...I like that location.

That is what I was worried about. I put the spring on but I think I'm going to take it off because I don't want it smacking up against my hardtop

When I ran my hardtop I just drilled a hole in a tennis ball and put it over the antenna so that it would bounce against the hard top and not the antenna itself. I suppose just cutting a big enough slit would work as well. It lasted perfectly for years but eventually began to work its way down - I just put a zip tie around the antenna at the top and bottom of above and below the ball and it's still there to this day. Mine looks a little ratty and junky but you could always paint it or get a "fun color" tennis ball like the ones they sell at pet stores. Allowed me to run the spring and save the antenna and mount (honestly I'd be more worried about the mount/body/etc. than the antenna) without sacrificing the hardtop. I put the ball in a location that it would bounce against the glass and not the fiberglass. I have noticed that the "medium duty" springs are nowhere near strong enough to handle a >3 foot antenna, go with the HD. Tennis ball did not affect the tune of my antenna at all.
Thanks.... that's a good idea.

z4iken
Member 2017 VA4WD
2016 JK
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2017, 08:41:09 AM »

Dropped the Wrangler off at the dealer for its sixth repair attempt at fixing my HVAC system.

They gave me a 2017 cherry red Wrangler as a loaner...someone ripped out the USB connection from the dash...  Rant Face

The Jeremy Theorem: Just buy 35's the first time
The Bill Corrolary: Bill is always technically right
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: