Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
August 16, 2018, 06:46:19 AM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serenity 2.0 Build  (Read 2915 times)
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 08:07:04 AM »

What's the legality of running beadlocks here in VA? I know a lot of shops won't touch beadlocks, so I'm curious. Also, what about balancing? edge weights, stick on weights, or a loose media inside the tire so it balances on the go? (Sorry for so many questions, I'm trying to plan out the build on my JKUR)

Virginia has no specific prohibition of Multi-Part wheels, so If it's a DOT Approved wheel, it's legal. https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title19/agency30/chapter70/section500/

There aren't many DOT approved beadlocks. AEV Makes some, and they still don't recommend them for street use!

Method Race Wheels are not DOT approved, and Method specifically states they are for off road use only... https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0116/6842/files/8.19.16_Method_Beadlock_Guidelines_WEB_3e081eed-0742-4d23-8984-f03e02bbb925.pdf?10447696810621187145

Beadlocks are difficult to balance, clip on edge weights don't work on the outside, stick on weights work, free media in the wheel is debatable as to if it works at all (Personally, I've not had luck with Dynabeads in street driven tires at all). Also, You have to make sure the tire is well seated and in the beadlock properly all the way around before even attempting to balance them.

Beadlocks require a lot more maintenance than a regular wheel, You're supposed to check the torque of all the ring bolts every few hundred miles, and replace them every year.

Personally, I would not run Beadlocks on the street, unless it was on a vehicle I specifically was only going to drive to and from trails...

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
1990 SJ Waggy
1989 XJ Cherocar
Dynamic
Member 2018
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 11:24:34 AM »

There are tons of people who run them on a Daily Basis do they have extra work yes hands down and you should take that into account. 

My JK gets driven very little, I have  a 4 mile work commute and my only long trips are for wheeling.     If i had significantly more driving time i might have considered something else.
I have multiple friends who have run beadlocks for years and had no problems in VA, including inspection or the wheels themselves.  Like has been said its a muddy grey area they are not illegal as far as VA  inspection 

ORI is handling putting the wheels together and getting them balanced, considering they do them pretty regularly i dont expect any troubles.   I wont take them to just any old tire shop though it could be difficult. 

The extra maintenance doesn't bother me at all.  Taking the time to check the torque on all the wheels.  I spend my spring / summer weekends in PA with friends and family and tend to hit up rausch every 2-3 weeks.  Routinely checking suspension bolts / wheel lugs ect is just habbit at this point adding BL checks isnt a big deal.  I lost a lower rear control arm nut on my old jeep so i am overly cautious in checking everything now.

http://www.liftlaws.com/are_beadlocks_street_legal.htm
http://www.aev-conversions.com/pdf/BeadlockMythsAndMisconceptions.pdf

But like Zuke Says if you have a heavily driven Daily Driver i would consider something else.

2011 JKU Rubicon Project "Serenity" -> SOLD
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon Serenity 2.0
AngryEchoSix
Forum User
Busted Knuckle Garage Expert
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 10:27:58 AM »

There are tons of people who run them on a Daily Basis do they have extra work yes hands down and you should take that into account. 

My JK gets driven very little, I have  a 4 mile work commute and my only long trips are for wheeling.     If i had significantly more driving time i might have considered something else.
I have multiple friends who have run beadlocks for years and had no problems in VA, including inspection or the wheels themselves.  Like has been said its a muddy grey area they are not illegal as far as VA  inspection 

ORI is handling putting the wheels together and getting them balanced, considering they do them pretty regularly i dont expect any troubles.   I wont take them to just any old tire shop though it could be difficult. 

The extra maintenance doesn't bother me at all.  Taking the time to check the torque on all the wheels.  I spend my spring / summer weekends in PA with friends and family and tend to hit up rausch every 2-3 weeks.  Routinely checking suspension bolts / wheel lugs ect is just habbit at this point adding BL checks isnt a big deal.  I lost a lower rear control arm nut on my old jeep so i am overly cautious in checking everything now.

http://www.liftlaws.com/are_beadlocks_street_legal.htm
http://www.aev-conversions.com/pdf/BeadlockMythsAndMisconceptions.pdf

But like Zuke Says if you have a heavily driven Daily Driver i would consider something else.

Excellent information, thanks guys. Looks like beadlocks aren't the route for me on my build, much to my wallets delight -  Laughing

I think they would have been nice mainly for the cool factor, but with how I drive my JK (roughly 90-100 miles daily on my commute, Stafford to Reston) regular wheels are my best bet.

2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon X
Dynamic
Member 2018
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 08:00:43 PM »

Got it Back from ORI today they finished my Lift and Gears.  Since i went long arm and cant weld Into a shop it went and i am very pleased with the work they did.

Grab a Wrench!

Teraflex CT4 Long Arm w/ Falcon 3.3 Shocks
Falcon Nexus Stearing Stabilizer
Teraflex Hinged Tire Carrier
Bronze 17x9 Method 106 Beadlocks
Toyo MT 37x12.5x17
Yukon 4.88 Gears

Jeep Freak
Website Committee/TRC
BOD
Jeep Jedi
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 09:06:27 PM »

those rims look sweet.

'93 YJ SOA on 36s
'13 JKUR
unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 12:07:32 AM »

Nice. That Jeep grew up quick!

Dynamic
Member 2018
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 11:18:48 PM »

So i had some extra time off to coincide with the long weekend trying to make the most of it.
I have never been great at wiring so I sat down with a friend and got an education  Propellar Head it's really not that bad once you learn a few tips and tricks and some of the new tools out now make it much easier.  Case and point a Before and After of my License Plate Relocation Light

With that i then moved onto the fact that with the new TF Tire Carrier i had lost my 3rd brake light so i added a RuggedRidge LED Ring to be legal again

Also thanks to the Tire Carrier i lost my CB Antenna Mount So added the Optional Mount and Adjusted the cable / COnnections

Then moved on and got and SPOD installed and functional

Also Threw on some Round LED Driving Lights I had gotten somewhere to the front, for now, to see if I like them/they are useful I didn't want a Light Bar so testing the round light look.  And a Bolt Hood Lock was installed a few days ago but didn't get any special pics of that

Then with no more projects left in hand (More back in Va didnt think i would get all this done )   We went to the Mall!  aka 2nd&Charles  to kill some afternoon time. Hopefully Tomorrow we can get the fenders on but its been snowing for hours so unless my uncles garage has a free Bay that might be on hold

Dynamic
Member 2018
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 03:59:54 PM »

Was able to get in the garage and get the fenders installed!  Dang they sucked at some points but they are definitely sturdier than stock  the extra brackets alone should be more than sufficient

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 05:43:46 PM »

Wow. That is a lot of work!  Looks great.

Are those brake light rings legal?  I have heard not so I am just curious.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
Dynamic
Member 2018
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 11:48:32 PM »

Like you i have heard both ways i will run it this way if i have to change / fix it then i will but will find out for sure in a few months july is inspection time

It would be odd to fail for it cause my buddies Poison Spyder light that only has 3 leds to start with just passed with 1 of those dead so 2 leds was all that was needed to pass a ring should be more than effecient but you never know with aome of these regs

Posted from somewhere in the verse

Dynamic
Member 2018
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2018, 08:29:13 PM »

Got it back from ORI had some final Pre-Wheeling Season work finished up.

Artec Axel Armor Kit  ( Axel Truss / Font LCA Skids / Inner C Gussets / HD Trackbar Bracket)
Dynatrac ProSteer Ball Joints (Better for the Bigger Tires and easier to replace when the Armor Kit is getting installed)
Poison Spyder Bombshell Diff Covers (Front & Rear)  They had to do the 500mile Gear inspection and change the oil anyway so easier to just have them thrown on when it was all apart
Teraflex Falcon HD Rear Skids Not only Do they add a Skid to the Shock but also move the mounting point up gaining clearance and provide a skid to the Rear LCA
 -These are an upgrade Bolt in Version with the Option to be welded so of course they were welded for strength

More Pics

Truss

LCA Skid

Front Axel C's And Trussing

Better SHot of The Rear

Close up of new Skid and Shock Mounts

ogre45
Member 2018
Winchester,VA
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 07:15:39 AM »

This JKU is looking nice. Seeing it makes me miss my Rubicon.

Alex
1969 Jeepster Commando in work
2018 JKU Golden Eagle,Teraflex leveling kit, EVO oil and trans skid
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2018, 12:18:49 PM »

I like the rig and indeed it's super sweet! Props on a very nice build Grab a Wrench!

Dain, I am with you, from a drivers stand point: I hate that ring and most newer vehicles over use of LED tail lights for that matter. It's very irritating being blinded by the light... Cool  I would hate to be behind it on a trail or in stop n go traffic.

HighlanderCJ-7
Dynamic
Member 2018
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 02:19:57 PM »

Dain, I am with you, from a drivers stand point: I hate that ring and most newer vehicles over use of LED tail lights for that matter. It's very irritating being blinded by the light... Cool  I would hate to be behind it on a trail or in stop n go traffic.

Fair Point!  its on a quick disconnect if its a problem i can easily disconnect it on the trail and reconnect for the road

RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2018, 08:39:47 AM »

They are illegal.  Brake lights (ALL lights) in VA must be either DOT or SAE approved and marked.  I haven't seen one that says it qualifies yet.  The ones I have seen on a rainy night were a bit too bright IMHO.  A third brake light has to additionally be marked (molded or embossed) as an "SAE-U3" according to the latest chart I downloaded (but is not in the latest legal text) I can find.  But, It seems no one is currently enforcing this part of the law anyway.  They will get you for not having anything though.

46.2-1014.1. Supplemental high mount stop light.
Whenever operated on the highways, every Virginia-registered passenger car manufactured for the 1986 or subsequent model year shall be equipped with a supplemental center high mount stop light of a type approved by the Superintendent or which meets the standards adopted by the United States Department of Transportation. The light shall be mounted as near the vertical center line of the vehicle as possible. The light shall be actuated only in conjunction with the vehicle's brake lights and hazard lights. Any supplemental high mount stop light installed on any other vehicle shall comply with those requirements.

- or -

2. Every passenger car manufactured for the 1986 or subsequent model year and multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, or bus whose overall width is less than 80 inches, manufactured September 1, 1993, and subsequent model year is not equipped with a supplemental center high mount stop lamp of an approved type (DOT or SAE-U, U1 or U2) mounted at the vertical centerline of the vehicle which functions only in cooperation with the vehicle's stop lamps, brake lights and hazard lights. Any other vehicle on which a supplemental center high mount stop lamp is mounted shall have the lamp mounted at the vertical center line of the vehicle. The lamps shall be of an approved type and shall function only in conjunction with the stop lamps. The high mount stop lamp must be steady burning and not wired to flash with turn signals or other wig-wag device.

- or -

From the "General" inspection guidelines:

B. Inspect for and reject if:
1. Lamps are not of an approved type (DOT or SAE-P2, P3, PC), or do not comply with subsection A of this section.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 08:42:06 AM by RFH_98TJ »

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: