Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
November 19, 2017, 12:09:29 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SYE Help  (Read 308 times)
sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« on: August 21, 2017, 08:17:04 AM »

Ok, so I'm starting to do research into the next phase of my jeep build.  Currently, I get very slight driveline vibes at 60+, like so slight that if I wasn't looking for them, I probably wouldn't notice.  I've got roughly 3.75 inches of lift overall, 2.5 on the suspension, plus a 1' MML.  Next on the list is a belly up/UCF skid plates which will bump everything up another inch and cause all kinds of shaking.  I don't have adjustable control arms yet either, so I've got 2 questions.

1. How do I figure the new driveshaft length without installing the belly up and putting my jeep out of commission while I order the parts?

2. Can I even put the belly up and SYE in without having adjustable control arms to realign the pinion angle?  Would a CV driveshaft give me enough wiggle room to solve this issue?

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
Runner
Committee: Vendor
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 08:27:06 PM »

You're probably not going to like this.  Although the LJ gives you wiggle room, do everything you need to do, then, and only then, measure your driveshaft length.  You didn't mention a body lift, but the correct way to do this, assuming suspension, motor mount and body lift, is:

- install SYE (I'm partial to JB Conversions)
 - set rear pinion angle (requires adjustable control arms)
 - measure and order cv (double cardan) driveshafts

Rich

2004 Wrangler Unlimited - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 08:38:56 PM »

That's what I was afraid of, thanks Rich. Was hoping there was a way to pre-measure some of this stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DamienD
Forum User
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 05:54:57 AM »

You could check with Tom Woods to see if he has pre made driveshaft to work for your application. Quadratec had my shaft in stock when I went from stock to 5.5" lift

packinnova
Forum User
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 04:35:35 PM »

Sorry, I couldn't help but pop in here on this one...  SirJames, you're not getting those adjustable rear upper control arms back! ROTFLMAO

Good luck.  The pinion angle fix with the upper control arms fixed mine up to about 50-55.  Now looks like my front's outta whack too.

'97 SpamCan
2.5" OME Lift
31" BFG KM2's
Smittybuilt Front and Rear and XRC8 Winch
-Who goes anywhere without a hi-lift?
sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 06:30:41 PM »

Sorry, I couldn't help but pop in here on this one...  SirJames, you're not getting those adjustable rear upper control arms back! ROTFLMAO

Good luck.  The pinion angle fix with the upper control arms fixed mine up to about 50-55.  Now looks like my front's outta whack too.
Hahaha, that wasn't my intent at all. I'm going to need more that just the rear uppers anyway. At this point I'm just going to order a whole new set and get my castor fixed from the lift as well. It's pretty squirrelly on the highway right now when the wind blows.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

packinnova
Forum User
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 12:12:44 PM »

Just out of curiosity, you ever get this SYE setup figured out?

'97 SpamCan
2.5" OME Lift
31" BFG KM2's
Smittybuilt Front and Rear and XRC8 Winch
-Who goes anywhere without a hi-lift?
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: