Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 19, 2017, 08:20:26 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: roof rails - any DIY fabricators or local shops?  (Read 227 times)
dchadjohnson
Forum User
« on: August 18, 2017, 08:18:38 AM »

Currently I have factory roof rails and crappy aftermarket cross rails on my 07 KJ, but after a recent trip I noticed the cross rails have a slight bend.  So now I'm interested in replacing these with a stronger custom rack with rails that will bolt down to the factory rail holes and integrated cross bars that will still allow me to use my cargo basket to haul gear.  Anybody have the means to fabricate something like this or know of a good local offroad type shop that could do it? I'm not looking to break the bank, but need some stronger support up top.  Thanks!

sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 08:25:40 AM »

Rather than custom fab something, have you looked into Thule or Yakima stuff?

Crossbar: https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-rack/roof-bars/thule-squarebar-58-_-3566

Attachment to connect to your factory rails: https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-rack/accessories/thule-crossroad-foot-pack-_-13900

I know this will sound dumb, but we had those on our family van growing up, and I used to do chin ups off them.  They are pretty strong and might be cheaper than a custom option.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
overhead
Member 2017
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 08:31:10 AM »

Check out Thule as well. Because it's gonna be custom from a Fab shop you're looking at 2-3x the cost of Thule or Yakima

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
dchadjohnson
Forum User
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 08:38:54 AM »

will do - thanks guys!

markd43
Member 2017
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 09:12:17 PM »

I just borrowed one of those long plastic bullet shaped roof carriers for a vacation trip to mount on our Nissan Pathfinder.  I did not purchase the cross rails for it...just has rails running down each side, but there were bolt holes that I found I could use.  Purchased square steel tubing at home depot and some 90degree angle iron.   Tubing didn't even need to be cut...perfect length to span the pathfinder rails.  Mounted four 6" lengths of angle iron.  Laid the tubing on those to measure where to drill...front and back were different widths.  Bolts threw the tubing and angle iron and done.   Cap and Paint or take them somewhere to get power coated.   60 to 80 bucks tops...a bit more I'm sure if powder coated.

Mark D.
dchadjohnson
Forum User
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 09:15:56 PM »

thanks mark - that's definitely my go to plan for cross bars only...just trying to decide if i should replace the factor roof rails at the same time...seems like one piece of metal with roof rails and cross bars would be stronger

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: