Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 19, 2017, 08:19:53 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Projects  (Read 194 times)
sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« on: September 13, 2017, 08:32:03 AM »

Anyone have some time over the next 2 weekends (16th or 23rd) to help me out?  I've got some new ball joints to install, and separate from that, 2 broken bolts I need to get out.

Ball joints should be pretty straight forward and I'm going to be spraying the heck out of them once it stops raining.  If you have a press that would be awesome, if not I'll rent/borrow one for the day.  Mainly just want to do this on a driveway that is flat and not made of gravel like mine.

The broken bolts are the ones that hold my fender to the body.  As of now I only have 1 bolt functioning, so I'd like to get that more secure.  One of them I got all the way out, and it broke off as I was putting it back in. Yeah, go figure.  Duh  The other one turned a couple times going out, then broke off.  I've soaked both with PB blaster, heated them up, clamped some vice grips on there and still can't get them out.  At this point, I'd like to try welding a nut on one and getting it out that way.  I'll live with only 2 bolts holding the fender on.  I've had the fender off like 4 times working on this so other than these stupid bolts it should go smoothly.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
RFH_98TJ
Member 2017
98 TJ 4.0 Sport
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 02:58:04 PM »

I'm getting ready to ask/volunteer for a wrenching session to swap my D35 out to the 8.8.  I have all the tools necessary except for the big ball joint c-clamp to probably do your stuff.  I need to actually replace one too (but it can wait a little).  The tool is about $150 to rent from Advance in Woodbridge.  I'm off Route 1 in Lorton right at the PWC/Fairfax line (near the junkyard).  Perhaps we can coordinate and get some additional helping hands and projects.  I'm open to either a Saturday or Sunday.  Saturday is better incase there's a problem.

sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 03:03:44 PM »

Dang gum, $150 to rent it?!  Does anyone have one I can borrow?

Dropkick
Member 2017
Alexandria, VA
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 03:41:57 PM »

I did my ball joints last year and rented the press from Advanced but it was a deposit that I got back when I returned the tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WWW Logged

Shamus

'09JKU
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:35:52 PM »

"Rentals" at both Advance and Autozone are actually Purchase/Return deals. I've asked about it before, because if I rent a tool a 3rd time, I just keep it.

John
www.rcpfa.com
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara Wife's True Mall Crawler
2008 JK Unlimited Wheeler/Daily Driver
1999 TJ Wheeler/Driver
1990 SJ Wheeler
1989 XJ Plow Truck
BPS_LJ
Member 2017
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 11:47:36 AM »

Anyone have some time over the next 2 weekends (16th or 23rd) to help me out?  I've got some new ball joints to install, and separate from that, 2 broken bolts I need to get out.

Ball joints should be pretty straight forward and I'm going to be spraying the heck out of them once it stops raining.  If you have a press that would be awesome, if not I'll rent/borrow one for the day.  Mainly just want to do this on a driveway that is flat and not made of gravel like mine.

The broken bolts are the ones that hold my fender to the body.  As of now I only have 1 bolt functioning, so I'd like to get that more secure.  One of them I got all the way out, and it broke off as I was putting it back in. Yeah, go figure.  Duh  The other one turned a couple times going out, then broke off.  I've soaked both with PB blaster, heated them up, clamped some vice grips on there and still can't get them out.  At this point, I'd like to try welding a nut on one and getting it out that way.  I'll live with only 2 bolts holding the fender on.  I've had the fender off like 4 times working on this so other than these stupid bolts it should go smoothly.

I think can be available this weekend to loan half the garage to you(no wife agro yet).. don't have a press or welder.. but have decent tool selection and a Home Depot and 2 Twilight Zones close.. As well as  Harbor Freight within 4 miles.. I take real beer  Cheers  in ways of space rental payment(sorry... kind of a beer snob in my own head...).. and have multiple floor jacks and jack stands... and at least 1 small sledge hammer... if it don't fit force it.. if it broke it needed replacing anyway..

This will force me to do some spring cleaning as well.. lol...

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 08:37:51 AM »

I think can be available this weekend to loan half the garage to you(no wife agro yet).. don't have a press or welder.. but have decent tool selection and a Home Depot and 2 Twilight Zones close.. As well as  Harbor Freight within 4 miles.. I take real beer  Cheers  in ways of space rental payment(sorry... kind of a beer snob in my own head...).. and have multiple floor jacks and jack stands... and at least 1 small sledge hammer... if it don't fit force it.. if it broke it needed replacing anyway..

This will force me to do some spring cleaning as well.. lol...

Thanks for the offer, this weekend got away from me and I wasn't able to get it done.  I'm setting next weekend aside to do the ball joints, just need to find a press.

Anyone have a ball joint press they can lend out for a weekend?  Happy to pay you back in beer, and let your hang onto something as a deposit so you know you'll get it back.

cwkann
WC, VRC, EC
Committee: Trail Rides
Winchester, VA
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 10:13:35 AM »

I have a ball joint press whoever is welcome to borrow.  The rub is that I am in Winchester.......

'03 Rubicon- 4.5" RE LA, 37"s, A bunch of skids by TNT, Poison Spyder, EMP, Rock Hard, Warn, Kilby and custom fab work.  CAI, Power chip, Exhaust, 4.88 gears and chromoly axles by Yukon. OBA and Powertank, one ton steering, Teraflex Swaybar system, MM 9500lb winch and a bunch of other stuff...
sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 10:19:27 AM »

Any chance you ever come in 66?  I wouldn't mind driving out to Warrenton/Gainsville, but beyond that, it takes up the whole day.

Mikewills
Member 2017
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 05:23:23 PM »

I thought advance auto loans ball joint presses.  Just pay the deposit and get a full refund when you return the tool.

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: