Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
December 11, 2017, 07:30:39 PM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bumper questions  (Read 388 times)
BeautifulM3ss
Forum User
« on: October 04, 2017, 08:42:50 PM »

I have a 2017 unlimited and tonight was In a 4 car accident and was sandwiched. I was not at fault and need to get bumper replaced. My plan was to get a metal bumper anyway just not like this. Anyone have any suggestions on routes to go and possibly getting money from deminished value as well since itís so new? Suggestions on good bumpers to get would be appreciated as I am a new jeeper
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 08:50:22 PM by BeautifulM3ss »

sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 09:00:46 PM »

Personally I think the ARB bumper for JKs looks nice, and I know it's very solid. Not cheap though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
Mikewills
Member 2017
^^I got your mall crawler on 37s^^
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 09:12:18 PM »

I have a 2017 unlimited and tonight was In a 4 car accident and was sandwiched. I was not at fault and need to get bumper replaced. My plan was to get a metal bumper anyway just not like this. Anyone have any suggestions on routes to go and possibly getting money from deminished value as well since itís so new? Suggestions on good bumpers to get would be appreciated as I am a new jeeper

Do you want full width, mid or stubby?

Dajanx
Member 2017
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 09:18:00 PM »

Stubby and mid help with clearance to disconnect sway bar links manually. If you're a non rubi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'98 TJ Sahara
'15 JKU Sport
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 11:14:57 PM »

Was there damage to the Jeep besides the bumper?  If not, I would doubt you would get anything regarding diminished value. Swapping on a new (stock) bumper and no value changed. It is not like sheet metal had to get repaired and might be of inferior quality.

If more work was needed, my reply would change of course.

I am personally waiting to see if someone in a cts-v makes a diminished value claim against me for an accident my son had this past year. Not looking forward to it if it happens. And I have to wait 3 years before the statute of limitations  runs out.

Good luck on the bumper replacement. And I would see if the insurance company or the shop you take it to can take the $$ for a new replacement and put it toward your new steal bumper to offset the cost. I know the price for the new stock bumper we got for the JKU was ridiculously priced, but my wife insisted on a stock replacement. And since it is her jeep and not mine, she wins. But for the price the shop charged my insurance, O would have gone ARB.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
DAMTALL
Thread Jackin' 24/7
Committee: Events
JEEP stands for Personal Freedom and Happiness!!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 08:47:47 AM »

Britt, take a look at www.4wd.com or Quadratec.com and take a look at their bumpers, ONLY IF you get money for your damage.  Stay away from Smittybilt and some of the cheaper models.

Big Mike - 2012 JKU Crush, 2.5" Teraflex Lift with Shocks, JKS Quick Discos, RockHard4x4 Skids and Evap Bracket, JCR Crusader Bumpers (mid-width front, mid-width rear with tire carrier).
highlandercj-7
Member 2017
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 08:53:38 AM »

It all depends on how much you want to spend. IMHO ARB is over priced. As he stated look at 4wds catalog and see what you like for the $ you have to work with.

Also note this Saturday 4wd is having a scratch and dent sale.

HighlanderCJ-7
overhead
Member 2017
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 09:00:32 AM »

It all depends on how much you want to spend. IMHO ARB is over priced. As he stated look at 4wds catalog and see what you like for the $ you have to work with.

Also note this Saturday 4wd is having a scratch and dent sale.

IMO I've seen an ARB get a full head on collision from a dump truck and it looked surprisingly ok. Also seen a smittybuilt fold over with a parking break fail.... You get what you pay for in some instances.

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
BPS_LJ
Member 2017
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 12:55:50 PM »

Saw this on CL..

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/pts/d/raytheon-rear-bumper-jeep/6331012497.html

I know nothing about it.. but you can research if you like it..

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
MZXJ
Member 2017
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 01:06:03 PM »

you might also look at jcr bumpers. made in the usa. a little pricey but worth the money...

mike z
overhead
Member 2017
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 01:19:26 PM »

I LOVE motobilt bumpers

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Passe-Partout
Member 2017
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 02:59:32 PM »

Britt, take a look at www.4wd.com or Quadratec.com and take a look at their bumpers, ONLY IF you get money for your damage.  Stay away from Smittybilt and some of the cheaper models.
Not sure why you think that Smittybilt should be avoided. I have front/rear XRC bumpers installed for the past couple of years. They fitted perfectly and have very good quality paint and welding. I have a winch installed that fit perfectly without the need for any relocation of any OEM parts. The workmanship, design, and functionality are at least as good as other higher priced bumpers. They are also very heavy and solid  I looked at AEV, JCR, and a number of other high end bumpers and have never looked back.

As a side comment - unless saving weight is a major consideration I would stay away from stamped steel bumpers. They are not as robust as welded bumpers made from thick plate steel.

2014 "Overland"
AEV 2.5" Lift
M/T Baja MTZ 33" on M/T Classic Lock Wheels
JKS Discos
Smittybilt XRC MOD Front & XRC Gen2 Rear Bumpers
Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp Winch
sPod SE Bluetooth
Cobra 75
Truck Lite & JW Speaker LED fog lights
Baja Designs LED Lights
Rugged Ridge Tube Doors & Rock Sliders
JKrazy
Member 2017
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 09:42:11 PM »

Love my Poison Spyder brawler lite front bumper.  I'm deciding between JCR and Hyline for my rear bumper.

Mods, they never end.  My rig needs a sponsor!  Smile
z4iken
Club Member at Large
2016 JK
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 01:48:59 PM »

Not sure why you think that Smittybilt should be avoided. I have front/rear XRC bumpers installed for the past couple of years. They fitted perfectly and have very good quality paint and welding. I have a winch installed that fit perfectly without the need for any relocation of any OEM parts. The workmanship, design, and functionality are at least as good as other higher priced bumpers. They are also very heavy and solid  I looked at AEV, JCR, and a number of other high end bumpers and have never looked back.

As a side comment - unless saving weight is a major consideration I would stay away from stamped steel bumpers. They are not as robust as welded bumpers made from thick plate steel.

Bill runs Smitty bumpers front and rear and wheels his rig hard, so I don't think anyone has any complaints about Smitty's durability or quality...I think a lot of the issue comes to their price. They're not much cheaper (if at all) than bumpers made by American companies, who if you have an issue you can call up and talk to the guys who designed them. Smitty (for better or worse) makes all their gear in China.

Also, AEV/ARB (at least) have a little bit more complexity in their design (stamped steel, are airbag-compliant/have crush cans).

The Jeremy Theorem: Just buy 35's the first time
The Bill Corrolary: Bill is always technically right
z4iken
Club Member at Large
2016 JK
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 01:49:36 PM »

Love my Poison Spyder brawler lite front bumper.  I'm deciding between JCR and Hyline for my rear bumper.

Why not another Poison Spyder?

Or a better question...why even get a steel rear bumper? Extra protection? Hi-lift jack points?

The Jeremy Theorem: Just buy 35's the first time
The Bill Corrolary: Bill is always technically right
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: