Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
December 16, 2017, 02:15:55 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greenbrier Valley Jeep Jamboree  (Read 568 times)
TrailBird
Member 2017
'17 GC Trailhawk
« on: November 27, 2017, 04:23:45 PM »

Has anyone ever attended the Greenbrier Valley Jeep Jamboree?

I need more weekends.
sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 04:46:07 PM »

$250+lodging/camping fee!  Shocked

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
TrailBird
Member 2017
'17 GC Trailhawk
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 08:11:05 PM »

I think that’s actually on the low side for Jamborees.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:28:18 PM by TrailBird »

I need more weekends.
JKrazy
Member 2017
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 09:16:20 AM »

I haven't but I definitely want to attend a Jamboree!

Mods, they never end.  My rig needs a sponsor!  Smile
highlandercj-7
Member 2017
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 09:26:10 AM »

That's half the price of Big Dogs / Cove's cost for a family weekend of wheeling.

HighlanderCJ-7
sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 09:41:25 AM »

That's half the price of Big Dogs / Cove's cost for a family weekend of wheeling.

$250 is just for an individual.  The family plan is $650 for the jamboree.

But I rip on the Cove for being expensive too.  It's like $45 just to show up, plus camping fees.  Ends up being around $100 for a weekend of wheeling for one person.  Almost makes the extra hour drive to Rausch worth it for that cost.

Anyway back on topic, I haven't been to a jamboree, and I wouldn't mind paying that cost (it does include meals) if I got basic camping out of it too.  Personally, I'd probably hold out for the one at Uwharrie over this one. https://jeepjamboreeusa.com/trips/uwharrie/

TrailBird
Member 2017
'17 GC Trailhawk
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 07:29:45 PM »

Anyway back on topic, I haven't been to a jamboree, and I wouldn't mind paying that cost (it does include meals) if I got basic camping out of it too.  Personally, I'd probably hold out for the one at Uwharrie over this one. https://jeepjamboreeusa.com/trips/uwharrie/

Why Uwharrie over Greenbrier?  I ask because this would be my first Jamboree and I'd like to pick a good one, but I can't really tell much difference between them.  I'm thinking of Greenbrier just because it's the closest for my first one.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 09:16:34 PM by jwilson2598 »

I need more weekends.
sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 07:33:29 PM »

I don't know any of the trails around greenbrier, but Uwharrie is a pretty well know area. To me, that's worth the extra drive.

TrailBird
Member 2017
'17 GC Trailhawk
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 07:41:38 PM »

Thanks, James. Thumbs Up

I need more weekends.
scottk
Member 2017
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 08:41:29 AM »

I've been on a couple of jamborees, but not GreenBrier.   I've been to Coal Mountain, Penns Woods, and Catskills.

Penns woods is nicely run -its on the campus of University of Pittsburg-Bradford.  You can stay in  the dorms- ,slight charge, or some people just camp in the open area on campus, either way you have access to bathrooms and showers in the student apartments and the dining hall is right there as well as the morning  lineup before  driving out to trails.

When I went to Catskills they had free primitive camping in the same area where you did morning lineup and where you ate. I thought the trails at Catskills where better than Penns.

I've heard you can now camp at Coal Mtn(AOAA) property which is nice because you are right on the trail- like Rausch

I think both were around  $250-$275 individual plan-- which basically got you 3 meals each day and guided access to trials on private property that most people would never have access to.

The negatives of Jeep jamborees is the size of the groups-- there can be a lot of sitting around  and waiting which gets frustrating.
Also some of the trails at Penns and Catskills  aren't close to the  morning lineup- so you go though a morning lineup/meeting at 830 lasts 10 -15 minutes then drive to trail - then wait for people to air down- sometimes you don't begin trail until 9:30 or later  then the guides  always stop for lunch.  then you wheel the afternoon and usually wrap up around 4:30-5pm so they can get you back for dinner.

I 've had good and bad experiences with Jeep Jamboree, but now prefer to just wheel with friends and do our own thing

2005 Rubicon LJ, 35's
TrailBird
Member 2017
'17 GC Trailhawk
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 11:53:27 AM »

Thanks! I appreciate the info.  Thumbs Up  I'm going to take James' suggestion and check out Uwharrie.

I need more weekends.
justjeeps
Forum User
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 10:45:06 PM »

I have been to Greenbrier Valley Jamboree the past three years and plan to attend again next year. It is a good one with pretty decent trails. The trails can be as challenging as you want from the "Bunny Trail" with good size boulders to the easier trails with good challenges as well. The area is scenic and I have always had a good time wheeling with good people. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

TrailBird
Member 2017
'17 GC Trailhawk
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 06:27:56 PM »

I have been to Greenbrier Valley Jamboree the past three years and plan to attend again next year. It is a good one with pretty decent trails. The trails can be as challenging as you want from the "Bunny Trail" with good size boulders to the easier trails with good challenges as well. The area is scenic and I have always had a good time wheeling with good people. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Thanks.  Thumbs Up

I need more weekends.
Dynamic
Member 2017
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 04:08:37 PM »

<good Info>

Thanks for all the info!  Coal Mountain was the one i have been targeting since its close to the other locations i will be spending most of this year at since all my family is in the area .  Only hesitant cause the cost is 325$ / person which seems alot but it does cover everything And its for the experience

2011 JKU Rubicon Project "Serenity" -> SOLD
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon Serenity 2.0
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: