Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
May 25, 2018, 05:30:46 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ol Blue the little LJ that could  (Read 1477 times)
sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 07:16:36 PM »

Regear and swapped in a hpd30 this weekend. Finally have some horsepower back!

Also gained some sweet new driveline vibes so I've ordered new u joints and will adjust the pinion angle. Hopefully that solves it.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 08:18:35 PM »

Also gained some sweet new driveline vibes so I've ordered new u joints and will adjust the pinion angle. Hopefully that solves it.

Congrats on the regear. What ratio?

Vibes because you went from LP to HP??

sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 08:26:19 PM »

Congrats on the rehear. What ratio?

Went from 3.73 to 4.88.

I shouldn't be getting any vibes from the axle swap, with my 2.5 lift it's returning that front angle to stock. I didn't have it in 4wd either so that driveshaft shouldn't be moving much. I think they are coming from the back pinion. I felt them hard in my seat and the u joints were pretty bad when we took them out. I should check the front angle too though just to be safe. Nice bonus to having adjustable control arms already done is I don't have to sweat these details, it's a simple fix!

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018, 08:35:53 PM »

Went from 3.73 to 4.88.

I shouldn't be getting any vibes from the axle swap, with my 2.5 lift it's returning that front angle to stock. I didn't have it in 4wd either so that driveshaft shouldn't be moving much. I think they are coming from the back pinion. I felt them hard in my seat and the u joints were pretty bad when we took them out. I should check the front angle too though just to be safe. Nice bonus to having adjustable control arms already done is I don't have to sweat these details, it's a simple fix!

Front shaft in a TJ always spins. It disconnects from the driveline at the tcase. I was thinking the joints could have worn at the angle they were at and are now unhappy being moved. I know my front shaft joints were toast after 60k miles due to a lack of grease. Vibes suck,  good luck with the fix.

4.88s are deep, you probably have tons of power. Now you can easily move up to 35s!!

sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2018, 08:40:33 PM »

Went from 3.73 to 4.88.

Front shaft in a TJ always spins. It disconnects from the driveline at the tcase. I was thinking the joints could have worn at the angle they were at and are now unhappy being moved. I know my front shaft joints were toast after 60k miles due to a lack of grease. Vibes suck,  good luck with the fix.

4.88s are deep, you probably have tons of power. Now you can easily move up to 35s!!
Yeah, they certainly weren't happy about being moved! Hopefully it's just the joints/angle and not something more serious. I don't have the funds left to chase stuff down lol

And I needed the 4.88s for the overdrive (plus 4 speed, not the usual 3 speed in TJs). It cruises prefectly rpm wise on the highway. I was having to turn overdrive off all the time before.

sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2018, 04:09:39 PM »

Alright, fun little weekend getting Ol Blue ready for Wheeling For Hope in 2 weeks!

Finally got to replacing the u-joints in the rear axle shaft, and probably not a minute too late.  They were burnt toast, barely any grease left and it was all black.  I'd be willing to bet it left the factory with those joints 13 years and 115k miles ago.  Of course, the new Spicer ones I ordered didn't fit, and I busted a cap on one trying to make it fit, so that was fun headache. Quick run to the parts store up the street and Moog joints slipped right in, naturally.  Since I had an extra Spicer joint, I decided to pull the front driveshaft and check that one out too.  The double cardan looked good (smooth but not loose), but the u-joint at the pinion was toast.  Naturally the Spicer joint fit right in there no problem, so who knows what's going on with the rear.  An SYE is on the wishlist for next year so I'm not going to sweat it too much.

I did drive it without the front shaft in too, and the vibes were gone, so they are definitely coming from the front.  They have gotten better since I first swapped the HP in, but it's still not good.  I took a couple measurements and could use some advice though.  I keep psyching myself out on this, and I'm horrible at math, probably why I dream of being an engineer instead of actually being one. Smile

Pinion angle is 82, measured at the yoke.  T case is 84, also measured at the yoke (both without the driveshaft being in).  Seems simple enough, move pinion up 2 degrees right?  Well by the eye test, my pinion already looks high (as in pinion and driveshaft make a peak almost), and since I started getting the vibes after the HP swap, going higher seems odd because everything was fine with the LP.  When you think about it as degrees from 90 however, the pinion is 8 off, while the driveshaft is only 6 off, so the pinion should come down 2 degrees to meet the driveshaft angle.  I could just do it both ways and see which works, but crawling around in the dirt and gravel that much would really suck.  Someone help me out here.  I gotta go 2 degrees, I just don't know which way lol

sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 04:38:03 PM »

Just for giggles here's the whiteboard at home where I tried to figure all this out

cmason164
Member 2018
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 04:42:06 PM »

If its double cardan, tcase and pinion will not be same...point the pinion yoke directly at the tcase output, dont worry about the tcase angle...driveshaft angle and pinion angle should match.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

“There are larger forces at work here...The truth is out there”― Fox William Mulder
sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2018, 04:48:36 PM »

If its double cardan, tcase and pinion will not be same...point the pinion yoke directly at the tcase output, dont worry about the tcase angle...driveshaft angle and pinion angle should match.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
Front shaft is a double cardan, and driveshaft angle is 5.6. So I need to bring the pinion down about 2 degrees.

sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 01:37:49 PM »

After finally bending my stock side steps at Wheelin for Hope, I ordered some rock guards.  Heard good things about these in the LJ world (our options are limited) and they still keep the step low so the wife can climb in.  Eventually, I'll add some boat sliders without a step to better protect the body panels and have the ultimate protection.

http://a.co/hyMkg6d

Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 02:44:40 PM »

After finally bending my stock side steps at Wheelin for Hope, I ordered some rock guards.  Heard good things about these in the LJ world (our options are limited) and they still keep the step low so the wife can climb in.  Eventually, I'll add some boat sliders without a step to better protect the body panels and have the ultimate protection.

I will also be ordering these Body Armor sliders pretty soon.  Good reviews!

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2018, 02:55:14 PM »

Yeah they seem to be pretty simple and strong enough. I know body mounted are stronger but these will work and still take some hits.

overhead
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2018, 03:05:02 PM »

Yeah they seem to be pretty simple and strong enough. I know body mounted are stronger but these will work and still take some hits.

my buddy had these before he went to AtoZ ones. they're great and a great addition to the jeep. They held up well to topless for tatas trail when we got him uhhhh more than a little stuck in a rock garden

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2018, 03:10:12 PM »

my buddy had these before he went to AtoZ ones. they're great and a great addition to the jeep. They held up well to topless for tatas trail when we got him uhhhh more than a little stuck in a rock garden

Awesome, even more excited now!

sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2018, 10:49:57 AM »

Whelp looks like amazon lost the package.  Was supposed to be here friday, but I still don't have it.  Tracking number says it hasn't been picked up yet, and I was offered a refund or shipment of a new one.  Think I'm going to take the refund and see if it shows up anyway.  Same thing happened to a Christmas gift I bought for my wife (took the new one then) and the one I originally bought showed up 2 weeks later.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: