Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
November 19, 2017, 12:10:25 AM

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I play along with this scam?  (Read 608 times)
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« on: November 14, 2017, 07:56:19 PM »

So I saw a listing on FaceBook marketplace today for a TJ Rubi with a ridiculously low price (flag). But for fun I replied to it. When I clicked it again to see the pics again, it was removed (flag). But since I had already replied to the ad, I figured “let’s see what happens”.

I got a reply. From the seller’s sister (flag). This person gave me the seller’s address and said contact her to get questions answered.

Playing along, I did send an email. I got a reply.  With a link to the pics

Still playing along, I replied that I was interested and would like to coordinate seeing it in person. I got another reply. BIG FLAGS!!!!!

Still playing along at this point, I replied that I am still interested, but would like the vin. That might have scared the scammer off though.

Has anyone played along with this one before?

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
JKrazy
Member 2017
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:41:35 PM »

Funny Post  "Prime member of eBay"  Confused with Amazon?  Keep it going!   Thumbs Up

Mods, they never end.  My rig needs a sponsor!  Smile
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2017
One man's trash is another man's treasure.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 08:50:21 PM »

In Amanda Larson’s defense, I’ve heard that duty assignments in Minot, ND can drive you so crazy that you just may end up selling a $20,000 Jeep for $2,000 by mistake.

Jeep: 1987 Cherokee w/ 4.0, 242, D30/44, and some things
Jeep: 1986 CJ7 w/ 258, 5-speed ((SOLD))
DD: Thirsty 2008 Chevy Silverado
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 08:51:37 PM »

Unless you are using a throw away contact method, I'd stop playing now, Some scammers can be pretty vicious, and if they can figure out who you are from the contact information they have already, things can go bad.....

John

2015 JK Unlimited Sahara Wife's True Mall Crawler
2008 JK Unlimited Wheeler/Daily Driver
1999 TJ Wheeler/Driver
1990 SJ Wheeler
1989 XJ Plow Truck
sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 08:54:04 PM »

It's got a v6, you gotta ask about that. LS swap? Don't forget axle lockers and gear ratios too. Plus what lift is on it, sye, driveshaft etc. You can totally drag this out for awhile.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
PanteraPilot
Member 2017
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 08:55:54 PM »

I would play along and say...Hey, how convenient, I'm going to be on base at Minot the day after tomorrow.  I can just stop by and see it.  What time can I look at it?"

zuke
Forum User
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 08:58:32 PM »

Stolen Images too;

https://www.edmunds.com/jeep/wrangler/2004/vin/1J4FA69S34P768612/

Ask her about that "People Motors" Paper license plate;

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:03:30 PM by zuke »

John

2015 JK Unlimited Sahara Wife's True Mall Crawler
2008 JK Unlimited Wheeler/Daily Driver
1999 TJ Wheeler/Driver
1990 SJ Wheeler
1989 XJ Plow Truck
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 08:59:25 PM »

I would play along and say...Hey, how convenient, I'm going to be on base at Minot the day after tomorrow.  I can just stop by and see it.  What time can I look at it?"

This I like.

I already asked for the VIN and the reply was just more info about the ebay payments process.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 09:00:20 PM »

I wondered where the images were stolen from.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 09:09:01 PM »

I really want to ask why they throw such a low ball amount on the listing?  Why not make it more realistic?  DO they really get more people to fall for it with it this low such that they are more likely to get at least 1 to actually send $$?

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

JK_HVGC
Club President
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 09:43:40 PM »

I really want to ask why they throw such a low ball amount on the listing?  Why not make it more realistic?  DO they really get more people to fall for it with it this low such that they are more likely to get at least 1 to actually send $$?
Alright, so I play along with these scammers all the time.  Use a throw away email if you go my route.  I like them to do things for me that cost them money or time.  Mostly works with Nigerian scammers.

Jeremy

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

-Fortune Favors the Bold
-If he needs one round of WP, then he needs one round of HE. If we're sending one round of HE, we might as well send 4, fire for effect.
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 09:47:33 PM »

Alright, so I play along with these scammers all the time.  Use a throw away email if you go my route.  I like them to do things for me that cost them money or time.  Mostly works with Nigerian scammers.

Jeremy

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I will lose interest before that. I think it already ended since I sent a reply saying that they did not answer my question about being able to give me the VIN. I even gave them the out by admitting that with it in storage, they may not be able to go get it from the dash. But asked them to get it from the title.

If I hear back, I may bring up how it is awesome that their Jeep was used for the Edmunds website!  Wink

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

cwkann
WC, VRC, EC
Committee: Trail Rides
Winchester, VA
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 07:26:59 AM »

She is a Nigerian princess in exile.  All you need to do is wire $5 million US dollars in small denominations.  She will then reimburse you all but $1000 for your time.  Please send me your account number so I can assist with the transaction!   Laughing Laughing

'03 Rubicon- 4.5" RE LA, 37"s, A bunch of skids by TNT, Poison Spyder, EMP, Rock Hard, Warn, Kilby and custom fab work.  CAI, Power chip, Exhaust, 4.88 gears and chromoly axles by Yukon. OBA and Powertank, one ton steering, Teraflex Swaybar system, MM 9500lb winch and a bunch of other stuff...
dave2002ti
Member 2017
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 04:47:24 PM »

If she actually is in the AF or her spouse is just remember you can contact the base police and the AF's version OSI.

As a military member or spouse of one she has a lot to lose  and command will prosecute and if convicted she or her spouse will be separated.

Tell her the base commander and you can get his or name from the base's Facebook page is an old golfing buddy.

Dont forget to mention that you and the prez are golfing this weekend. "Foreplay"

Dave Apker

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 04:57:10 PM »

Those are pretty good ideas Dave. I think the game is over though. He/she stopped responding.

And I have actually see the same text about that AF base and being in storage ready for transport in a previous email I played along with. So I really doubt this person is really in the AF or a dependent of one who is/was.

And that kind of irks me that the scam includes the death of a service person. Oh well. Intended to tug the heart strings. 

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: