Print  
Author Topic: RRR  (Read 19212 times)
R3
Committee: Trail Rides
RRR
« on: November 29, 2017, 07:46:44 PM »

Good place to start....

just  picked up 2017 Red Rubicon Recon (RRR) . Now the fun begins

1st on the list is a 3.5 inch lift kit from Metal Cloak.  Done a bunch of research and  there are alternatives but for the money and the capability I am looking for this looks like  the best bet.  I am told that Ken (Kens hardware)  is a dealer on this forum, would like to get in touch with him if I can.

Next will be wheels & Tires.

Wheels will be Fuel D583 ANAZ in Matte Bronze with black trim rings. Will wrap them in a set of BFG KM2 35/12.50x 17 tires.

Don't laugh, but a set of Electric steps will be added, after all this is a daily driver and the better half is only 5'6". I have seen the set that double as rock sliders they are about $500 more than AMP. AMP  makes a great product and a wide step.  Choices....

Will have to do something about the tire carrier... Smittybilt will handle that  with their new GenII frame mounted carrier.

Comms... Looks like many are running CB radios. Have looked at GMRS units... Not much sense going with GMRS if no one is using them.

So as I figure out how to post pictures I will start posting documenting the build process.

Cheers
Rob.

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
EVO long arms and King Coil overs
37 BFG KM3
Dynatrac, PSC, Barnes, Ried, RCV....

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
Redleg
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 08:03:44 PM »

Ken will definately hook you up with the Metal Cloak stuff.  He will respond to you here.

Bill
President - Black Goat Off-Road Club
2016 JKU Sahara -4.5 Metal Cloak Lock n Load long arm, 38" Milestars, Pro Rock 44, 4.88 gears/Arb Lockers etc.
1998 TJ Crawler -  back half'd, tons, LS, Atlas, ORI Struts and custom cage, 42s, etc.
Jeepin_Donnie
Club Vice President
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 09:08:05 PM »

Looking forward to seeing your build!   Cheers

Mods, they never end.  My rig needs a sponsor!  Smile
R3
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 09:18:11 PM »

I need to figure out how to post pictures.... Need to put up a before shot to start with.

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
37 BFG KM3

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 09:30:47 PM »

I need to figure out how to post pictures.... Need to put up a before shot to start with.

You can use a site like flikr or use tapatalk to view the forum and upload through that. Basically the photos have to be hosted on a third party site.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
Jeepin_Donnie
Club Vice President
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 11:06:15 PM »

I use Flikr, it works well.

R3
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 08:00:50 AM »

http://4wheelonline.com/fuel-wheels-d583-anza-matte-bronze-black-ring.271800.0

Wheels....

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
37 BFG KM3

Other_Erik
Forum User
Just Emptying Every Pocket
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 08:43:37 AM »

So the wife is 5'1", and her JKU is lifted 3.5 on AEV lift on 35's.  We have Hammerhead rock slider steps and a grab handle, and she manages just fine.  The only folks I ever see making use of the electric drop-down steps usually have mobility issues / elderly.  Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.

Best of luck!
O_E

Daily: 2016 Hydro Rubicon JK, 2.5" franken-lifted, JW Speaker lighting, etc...
Wife's: 2013 JKU 3.5" Lift on 35's.
All future mod money is now being eaten by house renovations Sad
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 09:41:56 AM »

So the wife is 5'1", and her JKU is lifted 3.5 on AEV lift on 35's.  We have Hammerhead rock slider steps and a grab handle, and she manages just fine.  The only folks I ever see making use of the electric drop-down steps usually have mobility issues / elderly.  Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.

Best of luck!
O_E

I've actually looked into it for the wife for the truck, not the jeep, they're not that high or short but man it makes a difference

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Jeepin_Donnie
Club Vice President
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 10:08:55 AM »

Love the bronze wheels!   Thumbs Up

R3
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 10:41:26 AM »

I think they will look great against  Firecracker Red.

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
37 BFG KM3

Jeepin_Donnie
Club Vice President
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 10:47:27 AM »

Me too!  Looking forward to seeing pics of your rig as you add mods and that sweet MC 4.5 lift!

Redleg
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 03:00:01 PM »

Those are pretty sweet.  But if you plan to Wheel this thing, you may want to consider a wheel that either has a rock ring that can be replaced or consider bead locks of some sort.  They will get chewed up on rocks, period.  If not, these are certainly sexy!

Bill
2016 JKU Sahara -4.5 Metal Cloak Lock n Load long arm, 38" Milestars, Pro Rock 44, 4.88 gears/Arb Lockers etc.
1998 TJ Crawler -  back half'd, tons, LS, Atlas, ORI Struts and custom cage, 42s, etc.
R3
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 07:13:48 PM »

Been a while since I have "wheeled", back in the day (80s) my CJ  run some crazy routes in both the USA and Spain, the BFG did a great job is saving the big Alloys.
I like  technical trail and also like to keep the machine together. Damage is not a badge of honor to me.  But with this said I hear what you ae saying. Bead locks would be sweet but also carry a hefty $$$$$, not in the cards at this point.  The next iteration of this rig will have 37 and bead locks.

Also I am not diving in the deep end running the double black diamond trails  right off, this new JK is a bit of a different machine from the old CJ. Plus she has to do double duty as a daily driver 75% on road 25% off. Granted  in a couple years I will undoubtedly be up to me neck in WTF am I doing trails and laughing  like a little school girl. LOL

Cheers   

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
37 BFG KM3

Redleg
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 10:26:52 AM »

Been a while since I have "wheeled", back in the day (80s) my CJ  run some crazy routes in both the USA and Spain, the BFG did a great job is saving the big Alloys.
I like  technical trail and also like to keep the machine together. Damage is not a badge of honor to me.  But with this said I hear what you ae saying. Bead locks would be sweet but also carry a hefty $$$$$, not in the cards at this point.  The next iteration of this rig will have 37 and bead locks.

Also I am not diving in the deep end running the double black diamond trails  right off, this new JK is a bit of a different machine from the old CJ. Plus she has to do double duty as a daily driver 75% on road 25% off. Granted  in a couple years I will undoubtedly be up to me neck in WTF am I doing trails and laughing  like a little school girl. LOL

Cheers   
Totally get that. I had that same mentality a year ago and even the blue trails I did scratched my rims.  Just trying to help others not make the same mistakes I did.  Not trying to pressure you into something you donít think you need.   Looking forward to seeing your build progress. A lot of us are running the Metal Cloak lifts, you will like it.

Bill
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: