Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
July 21, 2019, 12:46:25 PM

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Towing My LJ  (Read 2198 times)
PanteraPilot
Member 2019
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 07:32:54 PM »

I am debating towing my LJ to WindRock eventually. I would rather ride in comfort in my truck for the long trip.

My question to the community is ... how can I reduce the drag of that flat windshield while towing it. I have in my head a great idea.. but unsure if that idea should stay there. Does anyone know of a product that would work like a trailer air dam but for the hood/windshield of the Jeep?

I mat be grasping at straws here.. but who knows.. might as well ask.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what your purpose is in trying to reduce the drag.  Usually people try to do that so they can get better MPG.  I can assure you that unless your driving to California, it will be cheaper to just leave the whole thing alone.  If you were to build/buy something to stick on the front of your Jeep or the back of your truck, it will surely cost a bunch more than any extra gas you  will need.

scottk
Member 2019
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 01:41:06 PM »

Towed my LJ  on a 16ft Big Tex car hauler to Moab and back with a 2013 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi.  Had no issues- went through the rockies  on I-70 easier than I anticipated. I have a tekonsha brake controller and  a weight distribution/anti sway hitch which  helps out a lot.  I think I got around 11+ mpg on the trip.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 01:59:47 PM by scottk »

2005 Rubicon LJ, 35's
dan58
Forum User
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 08:34:06 PM »

It is a Ram 2500 with the 24 valve Cummins, automatic and the long 8' bed. The little bit of sag is all on the stock springs, it does not have any air bags or lift. It also didn't have a weight distribution hitch at the time of the Moab trip. It towed well and just got a little squirrely over 75 mph going downhill. I slight touch on the trailer brakes got it to stop. I just bought a weight distribution hitch and looking forward to see how it tows then.  Also putting an air bag lift on the Christmas wish list! 

What WD hitch did you buy?  They are not all created equal.  The high end ones incorporate anti-sway as well.

Jeepride
Member 2019 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 07:46:48 AM »

Agree. Got the Curt 10,000 lb with the anti-sway control. 

Black Goat Off-Road
2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 10th Anniversary Edition, AEV bumpers, Warn 8000 winch, 3.5" AEV lift, C gussets, trussed, sleeved D44s with 4.88s and elockers, 37" Nitto Grapplers on Level 8 wheels and full Rock Hard skids.
majestek12
Forum User
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 11:08:26 AM »

Catered to big rigs but some general principles still apply and may be useful:
https://cumminsengines.com/uploads/docs/cummins_secrets_of_better_fuel_economy.pdf

doctag1979
Member 2019
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 12:41:52 PM »

I tow either my JK or the wifes LJ with a dodge 1500 on a 7500 lbs car hauler with no WD hitch just the normal hitch that was factory on the truck. I have no issues. I have plenty of power when needed and can pass slower cars with ease. As for MPG well unless you have a diesel just close your eyes at the pumps and put the card in. The only way to get better GAS mileage is to get a diesel.
Tim

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: