Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
November 16, 2018, 06:44:29 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which power washer to buy? What do I need to know about powerwashers?  (Read 756 times)
jack.haefner
Member 2018
2001 TJ
« on: July 21, 2018, 07:40:42 AM »

Bought my first Jeep ('01 TJ) about two months ago and have a laundry list of things I need to do. #1 on the list: treat the frame exterior with POR-15 and the interior with Eastwood Internal Frame Coating. Seen many recommendations to properly clean and treat the frame before applying anything else I'm just wasting my $$.

Many have recommended I powerwash the frame inside and out. Unfortunately, I don't have a power washer.

What do I need to look for in a powerwasher? How powerful does it need to be? Are there specs that I need to look at? I'll need something with a small footprint since I have very little storage space at the house.

Thanks,

Jack

WWW Logged

Jack
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 07:53:26 AM »

With limited space I would get a little compact electric unit.  Not sure if you need to go above 1250 psi, unless you want to use the power washer to remove the existing paint.  If so, I would look in the 1800+psi range.

I have killed three of the bigger gas powered units. One by storing it outside too long. First freeze killed it.

When you are prepping the frame, i would use Eastwoods Internal Frame coating. I put two coats of it on my frame. That stuff coats well and does not come off.

You may want to drill holes in the bottom of the frame in common rust areas to let the water run out. Not sure where those are on a TJ, but I would assume in the back sections behind the axle like on a CJ.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
jack.haefner
Member 2018
2001 TJ
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 09:01:05 AM »

Gr8Dain, thanks! Too much pressure was my concern as well.

WWW Logged

Jack
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 09:03:39 AM »

Gr8Dain, thanks! Too much pressure was my concern as well.

Make sure you get one with either an adjustable nozzle or multiple nozzles with different spray patterns. The wider the fanning of the water, the less direct pressure on the surface being cleaned. In case you were not aware. And practice on something else first. If you get too close to the object being cleaned, you can drill right into it.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

jack.haefner
Member 2018
2001 TJ
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 09:26:09 AM »

When you are prepping the frame, i would use Eastwoods Internal Frame coating. I put two coats of it on my frame. That stuff coats well and does not come off.

Gr8Dain, let make sure I get this right. Are you suggesting that I use the Eastwood internal frame coating on the outside as well as the inside? In otherwords, in lieu of the POR-15 for the external portions of the frame?

Jack

WWW Logged

Jack
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 09:30:28 AM »

No. Use it for the inside. Plan or POR or other encapsulating paint for the outside.

The Eastwoods has a long nozzle that you stick into the holes in the frame and you back it out as you spray. Then you go to another hole further back and repeat.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

jack.haefner
Member 2018
2001 TJ
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 12:57:33 PM »

That was my plan. Thanks.

Saw the Eastwood video--seems pretty straight forward.

WWW Logged

Jack
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 04:08:59 PM »

If all you really need it for is to clean the frame, might be easier to find one of those do it yourself car washes and a pocket full of quarters. Or maybe someone here already has one you could borrow.

As for drain holes, you want them just behind the front control arm mounts, and just in front of the rear control arm mounts. Basically at both ends of the flat part of the frame. Make sure those are in before you wash the inside or you'll just make any rust worse. Double check they don't get clogged while cleaning too.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
RattleTrap55
Member 2018
84 CJ7
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 06:46:29 PM »

Jack

You are welcome to borrow our power washer.

Garner

3.5 Lift on 33's
4.2L w/HESCO MFI & Howard Cam
T-5 & Dana 300
Spartan Locker

2018 JKU - box stock
Zedi
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 10:04:45 AM »

If all you really need it for is to clean the frame, might be easier to find one of those do it yourself car washes and a pocket full of quarters. Or maybe someone here already has one you could borrow.

As for drain holes, you want them just behind the front control arm mounts, and just in front of the rear control arm mounts. Basically at both ends of the flat part of the frame. Make sure those are in before you wash the inside or you'll just make any rust worse. Double check they don't get clogged while cleaning too.

What size holes?

1998 TJ JEEBA Jeep
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 10:10:21 AM »

What size holes?
Depends on who you ask. I've seen other forms say as big as 1/2 inch and small as 1/8. You want to go as small as possible, but still big enough to let mud out.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
karlmagnum
Forum User
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 01:57:23 AM »

I have a Karcher electric. Powerful and compact enough.

Palermo
Forum User
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 06:14:22 AM »

I have a Karcher too. Karcher HD 6/13 C Plus, to be more exact. Serves me well. Which one do you have, Karl?

schreiberaj
Forum User
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 08:03:10 AM »

What size holes?

5/8 drain holes. They won't compromise the strength of your boxed frame and small holes (especially as small as 1/8) clog easily with small rocks and mud.

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: