Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
December 16, 2017, 02:12:09 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rattling noise coming from clutch  (Read 242 times)
TankRubicon15
Forum User
« on: December 06, 2017, 12:01:59 PM »

Hey everyone, I drive a 2015 JKU Rubicon with the 6 speed transmission.  Im at just about 30k miles and I've noticed recently my clutch while sitting at idle will make a weird rattling noise, but if I press the clutch pedal in, the noise disappears.  I've installed a Rock Krawler 3.5' x-factor lift and am running 37' Cooper STT Pros on 17' MB11 Aluminum wheels.  Unfortunately I still have the stock 4.10 gears and am desperately saving up for a proper regear, but was just curios if the improper gear ratio for this size tire is putting extra stress on the clutch from occasionally riding the clutch in some tight situations.  
Also, the noise isn't constant, its usually after I've driven somewhere and the vehicle is at running temperature, I will hear it when I'm usually parking and about to hop out.  Also it can only be heard with windows down/no doors, it cannot be heard from inside the cab.  In all other aspects the Jeep drives completely fine, shifts regularly, no grinding or squeeling noises.  

Appreciate any insight anyone can provide!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 12:06:08 PM by TankRubicon15 »

RFH_98TJ
Member 2017
98 TJ 4.0 Sport
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 12:28:35 PM »

I don't have a JK but I think I remember reading that a few of them are having failed throw-out bearings or have bearings that don't fit snuggly on the actuating arm so they rattle.  When they are not under a load (clutch pushed in), they jingle.  I think they had seemingly low mileage also.  Are you still under warranty?

TankRubicon15
Forum User
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 12:37:02 PM »

I don't have a JK but I think I remember reading that a few of them are having failed throw-out bearings or have bearings that don't fit snuggly on the actuating arm so they rattle.  When they are not under a load (clutch pushed in), they jingle.  I think they had seemingly low mileage also.  Are you still under warranty?

Good to know, thanks for the reply  Thumbs Up  And yes I am under warranty still but only for about another 1,000 miles or so.  Looks like I need to make an appointment with the dealership ASAP.

sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 12:49:44 PM »

I think there was another thread on this somewhere, can't find it now though.....

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
matstclair
Member 2017
2015 JKU Sport
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 01:18:30 PM »

My bumper to bumper warranty expired due to time. 2015 with 29k miles. I would imagine you are right there with me.

ltfiend
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 01:35:12 PM »

I've had this on my Jeep for a long time now.  It's super annoying but otherwise hasn't caused me any problems.

2012 Silver Rubicon
1990 Red YJ
RFH_98TJ
Member 2017
98 TJ 4.0 Sport
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 03:10:37 PM »

I can't find the thread but did find these:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/lets-fix-jk-throw-out-bearing-issue-867949/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/centerforce-clutches-investigation-into-jk-throw-out-bearing-noise-4164626/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/rattling-throwout-bearing-332010/

TankRubicon15
Forum User
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 03:37:07 PM »

My bumper to bumper warranty expired due to time. 2015 with 29k miles. I would imagine you are right there with me.

Sadly i may be in the same boat, I'm currently sitting at 29,400miles. Ill call the dealership to double check but I'm fearing the worst

TankRubicon15
Forum User
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 03:38:49 PM »

I've had this on my Jeep for a long time now.  It's super annoying but otherwise hasn't caused me any problems.

Agreed, it doesn't seem to cause any handling or performance issues so far, but now that I've noticed it its driving me crazy.

TankRubicon15
Forum User
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 03:39:30 PM »

Awesome, thanks!  Thumbs Up

highlandercj-7
Member 2017
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 04:54:36 PM »

The throw out bearing is the best bet. They are all junk any more. I just out one in mine and I don't have a warm and fuzzy on it lasting either.

HighlanderCJ-7
Ose
Forum User
Quality Performance
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 06:11:35 PM »

Throw out bearing would be my first guess as well. Shame with so low mileage too.

Quality Performance
3159-A Draper Dr
Fairfax VA 22031
Facebook
TankRubicon15
Forum User
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 11:07:17 PM »

The throw out bearing is the best bet. They are all junk any more. I just out one in mine and I don't have a warm and fuzzy on it lasting either.

Agreed, based off all my research and messing with the Jeep, Im fairly certain its the throwout bearing. Planning to just keep it until it goes for good, then replace with better parts from there.

TankRubicon15
Forum User
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 11:08:55 PM »

Throw out bearing would be my first guess as well. Shame with so low mileage too.
Agreed, thats the conclusion I've come to as well.  Figured I'll drive it until its breaking point then replace with superior parts.

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: