Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
April 22, 2018, 11:00:03 PM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uhaul starting to refuse trailer rentals?  (Read 1003 times)
///BHRpowered
Member 2018
Renegade Super Villan
« on: December 29, 2017, 08:55:05 PM »

Ok, so not Jeep related, but certainly towing. Recently I went to rent a car carrier from uhaul and they refused to rent to me claiming my vehicle was not heavy enough and not rated for it.

Tow vehicle = 1997 Ford F150, 4x2, 4.6 V8, class 4 hitch and towing package, several towing mods including upgraded transmission cooler, HD springs, brakes, and an electric brake controller. all to tow a 3800lbs Audi S4. It's worth noting that in their own advertising they had an F150 towing a car.

What got me was they claimed my 2012 Grand Cherokee was "just perfect" for towing. I showed the guy specs and he said he couldn't make the system let me rent one. Very frustrating, especially since I pay extra on registration each year for F150 being over 5k lbs. Did a good bit of heavy towing with my WJ, but just because new grand has a "Tow mode" doesn't mean I'm going to pull 6500lbs with stock brakes, no brake controller, and all stock cooling. (Total of a 700 mile trip)

Would it be worth it to get a vehicle trailer for only a few tows per year?

WWW Logged

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement I would be unstoppable" - ///BHRpowered
"Watching the two black Millenias disappear over the horizon in front of the helplessly outraced Chevy was a treat for the X-man" - Xedosman
"I am not looking to take over the world like BHR" - cwkann
PanteraPilot
Member 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 11:31:32 PM »

I've had similar problems with Uhaul - both with the tow vehicle and what's being towed.  Different Uhaul shops will give you different answers, so its worth trying a different shop.  When it comes to the vehicle being towed...I always tell them I'm towing a 72 Pinto....Then I load whatever I want on the trailer.

Even though I own a car trailer, I still seem to end up renting one sometimes.  Unless you tow very regularly, it's not worth buying a trailer.  Between VA Property tax, inspections, registrations, and the hassle of parking it somewhere, it may not be worth the hassle.

doctag1979
Member 2018
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 04:35:12 AM »

I have had the same issue with them. even with specs from dodge they could not change things on the computer to let me rent it. To me buying a car hauler was the answer ( even) for a few tows per year. If you have the space to store it the taxes are cheap. I only really planned on towing for jeep trips but have used many times for other thing, jeep to the shop for an alignment, tractor to the shop, and many more tows. For me I have not regretted it. It may sit for a bit but it is there when I need it.

Tim     

///BHRpowered
Member 2018
Renegade Super Villan
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 07:47:41 AM »

I called and complained but it went no where, they just said they do inspections and rate vehicles. They really seemed to push the idea that if it's older then 8-10 years you shouldn't be towing. Both of my Jeep's are great, but I'd rather use my F150.

When in a location they can choose the drop down of "uhaul pickup" and it'll rent you a trailer, HOWEVER, if you put in the actual vehicle uhaul is using (in this case a GMC) as if you owned it they'll say it's not approved.

WWW Logged

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement I would be unstoppable" - ///BHRpowered
"Watching the two black Millenias disappear over the horizon in front of the helplessly outraced Chevy was a treat for the X-man" - Xedosman
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 09:48:31 AM »

I luckily haven't had to rent with U-Haul in a while, but when I've been planning for the worst and did some estimates online I always ran into a very similar issue.  I shouldn't have to worry about my 2008 1500 being able to tow my Jeep on a flat trailer.  Trailer weighs 1 ton at most, plus 3500lbs of Jeep XJ, plus extra bits and I am well within the 8-9k pounds load rating.  Yet, I still feel like I have to tweak certain parameters of their drop-down categories in order to actually obtain an estimate. 

Has anybody tried these guys?  This place JLR in Manassas says they will rent a car trailer rated for 9,900lbs for $50/day (presumably with some additional fees). 

https://www.jlrtrailerrentals.com/services

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
overhead
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 10:23:51 AM »

I was looking at renting a lot the last few years and ended up buying a trailer. Through uhaul savings, rentals, and using it for work and helping friends it's paid for itself. Largest issue has been storing it.

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
majestek12
Forum User
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 03:45:06 PM »

I luckily haven't had to rent with U-Haul in a while, but when I've been planning for the worst and did some estimates online I always ran into a very similar issue.  I shouldn't have to worry about my 2008 1500 being able to tow my Jeep on a flat trailer.  Trailer weighs 1 ton at most, plus 3500lbs of Jeep XJ, plus extra bits and I am well within the 8-9k pounds load rating.  Yet, I still feel like I have to tweak certain parameters of their drop-down categories in order to actually obtain an estimate. 

Has anybody tried these guys?  This place JLR in Manassas says they will rent a car trailer rated for 9,900lbs for $50/day (presumably with some additional fees). 

I've used them once before, rented a utility trailer when I was in a pinch. Was a bit annoyed as the guy showed up 30 minutes late to open the "lot" but otherwise it was trouble free. They had the best rates around. Overall experience was fine, nothing great, nothing terrible. I forget if they state it on the website but bring proof of insurance along with you.

You can also check out D&B rentals in Herndon/Sterling. I've rented car trailers there once or twice and never had an issue or been questioned.

Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 05:01:16 PM »

I've used them once before, rented a utility trailer when I was in a pinch. Was a bit annoyed as the guy showed up 30 minutes late to open the "lot" but otherwise it was trouble free. They had the best rates around. Overall experience was fine, nothing great, nothing terrible. I forget if they state it on the website but bring proof of insurance along with you.

You can also check out D&B rentals in Herndon/Sterling. I've rented car trailers there once or twice and never had an issue or been questioned.

Good to hear that someone’s rented there before without much of an issue. Biggest hassle for me would just be getting to Manassas from the Reston area. I’ll have to check out D&B as well, thanks.

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 10:58:31 AM »

Uhaul is getting terrible. They wanted to jack me around on the JKU saying that I couldn't rent a trailer and tow with the soft top on, but it's ok with the Hardtop. It's also OK if it's a car with a rag top. I'm like so OK: One I want to see a car with a rag top that can tow better than a JK, that was made since 2010. Two a car with a rag top is safer than a JKU with a roll cage? I ended up putting the Hard top on so I could get things done. It was that time of year anyway but it was still BS.

HighlanderCJ-7
Zedi
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 10:33:35 AM »

I have never had any problems with Uhaul.  I rented a car trailer to tow a 97 TJ and pulled it with my 2013 Toyota Highlander.  Only time I had to fudge a bit was when I picked up a 1963 Renault Dauphine since that car is not in their database.  As long as I have been using them 30+ years they have always had the restriction on SUV's with soft or no tops.  Obviously an insurance thing.

1998 TJ JEEBA Jeep
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 10:48:14 AM »

I have had to make sure the hard top was on the Scrambler to rent a car dolly once. Even though I was taking it home to use something else to drag the Scrambler ON the dolly.

When I need a utility trailer, I go to Home Depot and have never had any issue. Other than the fact that you have to rent their truck to pull their car trailer. So I have gone to Uhaul for that.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
///BHRpowered
Member 2018
Renegade Super Villan
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 05:49:09 PM »

But I don't want to pay more to rent one of their trucks. Especially for a long distance trip. I guess it's good to hear I didn't have a unique experience. I'v rented smaller trailers and trucks from time to time but never had a hassle like this.

WWW Logged

Davetopay
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 08:38:01 PM »

Screw u haul. Nothing has ever been worth the effort and cost when dealing with them.

Need a car trailer? Check the tool and equipment rental shop on 606 between herndon and route 28. They were my go to when towing my old mustang to track events. They didn't care what the car on the trailer was, or anything more than making sure my tow pig was up to hauling it without killing me.

Just make sure you know how to pull a trailer on surge brakes....lol

I think I saw a thing, but I don't know what thing I thought I saw.
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: