Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
May 25, 2018, 05:08:58 PM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cobra 75 CB Help?  (Read 393 times)
Eagle112199
Forum User
« on: February 07, 2018, 06:48:58 PM »

I recently purchased a Cobra 75 CB and Firestik antenna. Everything is installed and I have power, but I can only seem to get static. I have heard transmissions on one channel and called out for a radio check and never got a response.  I'm wondering if I'm not Broadcasting.

I can receive the weather broadcasts on the weathet channels no problem.  So I'm not sure what is up. Is there a way to adjust the antenna? Anyone have a similar issue when they first installed theirs? Any help or advice would be grateful. 

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------------
History Teacher and Jeep Fanatic

2010 JK 2 Door
Silversurfer
Forum User
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 07:33:56 PM »

Have you tuned it yet?

2010 JK<br />1992 YJ<br />Black Goat Off-Road
unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 08:24:36 PM »

There is no guarantee anyone is even out there to get a radio check with unless you are working with someone. Auto Outfitters does a lot of CBC installs and tuning for people from the site. Otherwise at a meeting you can probably get some quick help from someone with a SWR meter.

schreiberaj
Forum User
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 06:26:12 AM »

If you want to actually talk to people you need to get a HAM radio. CB's don't function well beyond immediate line of sight depending on your environment. For extended range comms go get an amateur radio and your cert. As previously mentioned for best performance get a SWR meter and tune your antenna. Common issues for poor CB comms is your ground so you may want to give that a second look.

Eagle112199
Forum User
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 06:34:51 AM »

Have you tuned it yet?
I don't know how to do that.  Nor do I have the equipment to do so.  Lots of suggestions on here for Auto Outfitters, so looks like a trip to Manassas.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

--------------------------------------------------------
History Teacher and Jeep Fanatic

2010 JK 2 Door
z4iken
Club Member at Large
2016 JK
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 10:13:26 AM »

Have you tuned it yet?
I don't know how to do that.  Nor do I have the equipment to do so.  Lots of suggestions on here for Auto Outfitters, so looks like a trip to Manassas.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

It's pretty easy. There's a nut at the end of the Firestik (under the condom-esque thing at the top) that you turn to tune it. You just need access to a tuner to get it in the correct range. I know Mike (Silversurfer) and several other club members have tuners that I'm sure they'd let you borrow/show you how to use for a six-pack.

The Jeremy Theorem: Just buy 35's the first time
The Bill Corrolary: Bill is always technically right
Redleg
Committee: Trail Rides
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 11:46:11 AM »

Making sure the antenna mount is installed properly is key too.  Has to be insulated on top and any paint on bottom of mounting area needs to be ground off.  If the Antenna is not grounded or insulated properly, it won't tune anyway.

Bill
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: