Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
June 17, 2018, 06:46:39 PM

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Affordable All Terrain Tires  (Read 1380 times)
Fuzzy88
Member 2018
« on: December 31, 2017, 08:39:45 AM »

You were laughing when you clicked on this wern't you?

So I am looking to get replacement tires.  Currently I have Kumho mud tires that came on the Jeep.  I cannot stand them and they are cupping bad.  They are 315/70/17.
I want to go with all terrain tires and I really want to get 35s but that means 5 tires instead of 4 .   Looking at cost it would be better to just stay the same size and get 4 tires.  However, any time you are changing something up , you should always go bigger or better , right? lol.    Looking at the KO2's they are expensive.  like really expensive.  Lots of great reviews etc. 

So.  The bottom line.  Is there a tire that is less expensive than the KO2 that is similar in performance but not as bad on the wallet. 

Thanks for reading.  Jeep Wave

Dale

WWW Logged

Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 09:05:08 AM »

Are you talking about the Kumho Road Venture series? I have them in my DD (08 Silverado), not my Jeep, but they’ve held up extremely well for the price. I think my AT51s were around $145/tire, they’re quiet, 10-ply, and have done the job in muddy/sticky situations. Are you sure it wasn’t just a poor rotation schedule or inflation level by the PO that led to cupping?

Both the AT and MT Road Venture line from Kumho are worth a look. They’re solid tires and you won’t find a cheaper 10-ply. Otherwise I don’t know if you’ll be able to find a tire around that price range that isn’t made by some junky brand like Milestar or Pathfinder, and is E-rated. A close one may be Cooper Discoverers but I have zero experience with them. Maybe give the Kuhmos a second chance?

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
Fuzzy88
Member 2018
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 09:10:42 AM »

Are you talking about the Kumho Road Venture series? I have them in my DD (08 Silverado), not my Jeep, but they’ve held up extremely well for the price. I think my AT51s were around $145/tire, they’re quiet, 10-ply, and have done the job in muddy/sticky situations. Are you sure it wasn’t just a poor rotation schedule or inflation level by the PO that led to cupping?

Both the AT and MT Road Venture line from Kumho are worth a look. They’re solid tires and you won’t find a cheaper 10-ply. Otherwise I don’t know if you’ll be able to find a tire around that price range that isn’t made by some junky brand like Milestar or Pathfinder, and is E-rated. A close one may be Cooper Discoverers but I have zero experience with them. Maybe give the Kuhmos a second chance?
Good point. Thanks for the feedback.

WWW Logged

dave2002ti
Member 2018
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 09:44:03 AM »

Might also want to take a look at Toyo and their secondary brand Nitto.

Also remember its your out the door price mounted on your wheels and on your Jeep price with taxes and disposal fees if any.

Tire Rack and others similar places sound great until you see the what it costs to drive on down the road.

I used the same local tire dealer for 30+ years because his prices beat Tire Rack's  and the competition by $50 to $100 bucks or more.  Yeah I have spent well over $10K there on tires over the years and my bro over $5k.

Also I trust his advice and he is one of the few tire places in the country that can balance on the car. Service can't be beat.

In most cases you get what you pay for in a tire doesn't matter if its for your commuter, your track day car, your tractor, your pick up, or your Jeep. Only exception to this is some Badyear sorry Goodyear tires that are expensive but suck. How much is your life worth? 

Dave Apker

sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 11:24:40 AM »

https://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

I've seen a couple folks get the Cooper discoverer at3 based off this review and they like them. I would have done the same but they didn't make it in a 33x10.5 so I went ko2.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 11:02:50 AM »

Cooper is the working mans tire company. Excellent performance, quality, reliability and easier on your wallet. They produce several off brand tires. Matercraft, the Duck Dynasty line, etc etc.

HighlanderCJ-7
dan58
Forum User
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 04:47:04 PM »

Cooper also makes Mickey Thompson and Dick Cepek.  That said, Cepek Trail Country all terrain is a GREAT tire.  I fun the fun country on my DD Sierra and have 35K miles on it with more than half tread left.

cmason164
Member 2018
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 07:49:03 AM »

Might also want to take a look at Toyo and their secondary brand Nitto.

Also remember its your out the door price mounted on your wheels and on your Jeep price with taxes and disposal fees if any.

Tire Rack and others similar places sound great until you see the what it costs to drive on down the road.

I used the same local tire dealer for 30+ years because his prices beat Tire Rack's  and the competition by $50 to $100 bucks or more.  Yeah I have spent well over $10K there on tires over the years and my bro over $5k.

Also I trust his advice and he is one of the few tire places in the country that can balance on the car. Service can't be beat.

In most cases you get what you pay for in a tire doesn't matter if its for your commuter, your track day car, your tractor, your pick up, or your Jeep. Only exception to this is some Badyear sorry Goodyear tires that are expensive but suck. How much is your life worth?  

Dave Apker

Sorry to hijack, but is this guy local Dave? I need to get some tires balanced.

I have run the ko2 and they are everything people say they are.  That being said, I just bought a set of cooper discovery stt pro, not an AT, but the coopers are getting great reviews.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 07:52:19 AM by cmason164 »

“There are larger forces at work here...The truth is out there”― Fox William Mulder
overhead
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 11:31:40 AM »

Dad just got the new falken wildpeak at3w and is in love with em. 5=33x12.5x15 mounted balanced and old tires disposed of was around 1k

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Burnzy
Member 2018
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 11:42:37 AM »

Dad just got the new falken wildpeak at3w and is in love with em. 5=33x12.5x15 mounted balanced and old tires disposed of was around 1k
Good to hear. I’ve been looking at those for my Xterra. They seem like a great tire and for some reason are on the lower end of the price spectrum.

2012 JK Sport
2011 Xterra Pro-4X
overhead
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 11:59:31 AM »

Good to hear. I’ve been looking at those for my Xterra. They seem like a great tire and for some reason are on the lower end of the price spectrum.

why go up against the ko2 when you don't have to? if i can sell 5 for every 4 I still make more money.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

z4iken
Club Member at Large
2016 JK
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 12:18:04 PM »

I had KO2s and loved the, but they were not "affordable"...they were pricier than every comparable-sized tire except for the Duratrac (my trail grapplers were significantly cheaper).

If you really want a good budget tire, JCROffroad wheels the Kanati Trail Hog tires pretty hard on a lot of their builds. They're made in...Malaysia (I think?) and are a Duratrac knock off, but are way more affordably priced than BFG, Goodyear, Nitto, Falken, etc.

The Jeremy Theorem: Just buy 35's the first time
The Bill Corrolary: Bill is always technically right
sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 01:31:37 PM »

Since everyone is talking about KO2s, if you shop around and/or wait for a deal they aren't that expensive.  I got 5 33x10.5x15 with wheels, mounted, balanced and shipped for $1,153 this summer.  Add to that I got a $50 gift card to 4wd, and a $50 rebate from BFG, that's pretty darn affordable in my book.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
overhead
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 01:47:24 PM »

to be fair. I  LOVE LOVE LOVE my ko2. 2wd has gotten me out of stuff that 4wd was struggaling in last winter. especially in mud muck snow and more.

towing they're just a dream come true.

that being said. in my size and load range for the truck it was almost $1700

Burnzy
Member 2018
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 02:00:01 PM »

I have KO’s know just feel like trying something new. Probably will go with the Falkens

2012 JK Sport
2011 Xterra Pro-4X
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: