Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
October 17, 2018, 06:24:25 PM

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Affordable All Terrain Tires  (Read 1734 times)
z4iken
Club Member at Large
2016 JK
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 03:54:03 PM »

I have KOs know just feel like trying something new. Probably will go with the Falkens

I've heard (having only been a KO2 owner, not the original KO) that there's a big difference. I know Other_Erik has the original KO on his wife's JKU and it was very different from the KO2s I was running

The Jeremy Theorem: Just buy 35's the first time
The Bill Corrolary: Bill is always technically right
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 04:04:21 PM »

I have KOs know just feel like trying something new. Probably will go with the Falkens

I've heard (having only been a KO2 owner, not the original KO) that there's a big difference. I know Other_Erik has the original KO on his wife's JKU and it was very different from the KO2s I was running

it's kinda like saying I have an 80s f150. I'll switch to a silverado vs the new diesel they announced this week.

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 04:18:13 PM »

I am one of those that have been driving the original ko and went to the ko2 this summer. Have always loved them. The ko2s are no longer exception. I was very please having them when wheeling in TN in June. Never got stuck. And no lockers. I was running with guys on 35s the whole time and held my own. Impressed with the tires

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
sticksout
Club Secretary
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 08:35:35 AM »

I'm still running original KOs that I bought used off a member years ago. I'm keeping an eye out now for a good deal (and maybe a cheaper/comparable tire) as mine are getting near Inspection failure. If I don't find anything by the time I need them I'll probably go with KO2s from Costco since their tires include free tire repair and rotation for the life of the tires.

2001 TJ Sahara - black
AutoTraker
Forum User
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 09:56:55 AM »

The KO was the gold standard that everyone copied for their all terrain tire.
The biggest problem with the KO was the lack of sidewall strength, fast on-road wear and chunking of the tread when used off-road.
Much of the competition have taken the KO design and improved upon it making the KO design fall way behind.
The new KO2 is a leapt forward in all terrain tires again and is the new gold standard for all terrain tires.
Basically they are 20% stronger than the KO using the same compounds and casing as the KR off-road racing tire with a new tread design.  
After reading all the reviews when they first appeared on the market, I couldn't wait to put a set on my RAM. They have lived up to the media hype.
I got mine from TireRack and used it as a opportunity to go one side bigger and replaced the wheels too.
I think it came out to about $1800 for 5 tires/wheels, mounted, balance, and shipped to the door.
This past snowstorm where the roads turned to ice the TJ with its MTZ was slipping and sliding where the RAM with its KO2 didn't even know the road wasn't dry.
And in the mud, sand, and soft soil I've had the truck in they have done fantastic.    
I don't think I'd consider them for a dedicated off-road vehicle but for a mixed use AT tire, they have exceeded all my expectations.
I will not even hesitate to put them on my TJ which sees very little off-road use when next it needs tires.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:22:10 AM by AutoTraker »

--
Rich...
Last count have 3 Jeeps. A CJ, TJ & a XJ.  Also got a Yota.
I Live in a Country Founded by Geniuses but Run by Idiots.
Central Virginia Jeepers
RCPFA
sticksout
Club Secretary
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 08:19:01 AM »

I did some more checking and if you are a Costco member they are running a promo on BFG tires till 1/28. I priced out a set of four 33x12.5R15 KO2s and they came out to $777.96 plus $15/tire for installation  = $837.96.

There is also a $2.99 fee per tire if you have the TPMS system.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:00:59 AM by sticksout »

2001 TJ Sahara - black
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 09:22:25 AM »

I did some more checking and if you are a Costco member they are running a promo on BFG tires till 1/28. I priced out a set of four 33x12.5R15 KOs and they came out to $777.96 plus $15/tire for installation  = $837.96.

That does seem like a very good price.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
sticksout
Club Secretary
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 08:02:56 AM »

I did some more checking and if you are a Costco member they are running a promo on BFG tires till 1/28. I priced out a set of four 33x12.5R15 KOs and they came out to $777.96 plus $15/tire for installation  = $837.96.

That does seem like a very good price.

Yeah, also updated my original post as they are KO2s at that price.

I may get them and put them on my parent's patio w/a tarp until I'm ready to install....my inspection will be due in July.

2001 TJ Sahara - black
Phoenix45
Forum User
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 10:10:27 AM »

Throwing in my two cents...

I took a gamble a few years back on Kenda Klever KR29.  These are the M/T version that you can get ~$200/tire for the 35/12.5R17, they also make an A/T for a few dollars less.  I knew the Kenda brand for bicycle tires, but not for auto tires, but I did my research and had some degree of confidence in them. The only negatives I could find were that they could be difficult to balance, but that is normal for a lot of M/T tires.  Curry's had no trouble balancing them for me though.

Close to 40k miles later they are still running strong and have at least 1/4 of the original tread left.  They get a good bite in the mud but are (relatively) quiet not too obnoxious on the street.  I did recently start to get some slight cupping in the fronts a few months ago, but I figure that is due to my alignment being a bit off and not rotating them for too long. 

They have lasted longer than both the OEM Wranglers and BFG A/Ts (both of those lasted ~30k) so I will definitely get another set when these finally run out.

1973 CJ-5
1988 Wrangler YJ
1999 Grand Cherokee Limited
2010 Wrangler Unlimited
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: