Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
October 18, 2018, 02:42:31 PM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help Please RESOLVED!!!  (Read 763 times)
fyr jpr
Forum User
Drink local beer!
« on: January 10, 2018, 04:24:56 PM »

Who is well versed on the VA Lemon Laws? we have a 2017 Jeep Compass that has been in and out of the dealership for the same issue. It feels like something in the drivetrain binds up and then releases. This will be it's 3rd time at the dealer for the same issue. So far they have replaced the rear end, reprogrammed the trans, put a new set of tires on  Dunno? and it was still doing the same thing. I think the law is 3 times in the shop or combined 30 days in the shop for the same issue makes it a lemon? Any insight?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:32:38 PM by fyr jpr »

2008 Modified JK Red Rock Metallic

zuke
Forum User
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 04:36:01 PM »

Who is well versed on the VA Lemon Laws? we have a 2017 Jeep Compass that has been in and out of the dealership for the same issue. It feels like something in the drivetrain binds up and then releases. This will be it's 3rd time at the dealer for the same issue. So far they have replaced the rear end, reprogrammed the trans, put a new set of tires on  Dunno? and it was still doing the same thing. I think the law is 3 times in the shop or combined 30 days in the shop for the same issue makes it a lemon? Any insight?

If the third attempt is unsuccessful and you have had the car less than 18 months, That sounds like it meets the citeria;

https://www.dmv.org/va-virginia/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

If you haven't already notified the manufacturer of your intent to make a lemon law claim, they'll get one more chance to try and fix it after this...

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:37:48 PM by zuke »

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
fyr jpr
Forum User
Drink local beer!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 05:28:45 PM »

If the third attempt is unsuccessful and you have had the car less than 18 months, That sounds like it meets the citeria;

https://www.dmv.org/va-virginia/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

If you haven't already notified the manufacturer of your intent to make a lemon law claim, they'll get one more chance to try and fix it after this...

Noted, thanks for the insight!

highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 07:01:19 PM »

My 2011 JKU was in the shop a combined 30 days of the 10 months I had it. Maybe 8 times for the same issue and a few for others. They didn't want it turned in as a lemon, so they made me a sweet deal to trade up to a 2012. I am extremely happy it was a lemon as the difference between those two years is night and day.

So you can turn it in as a lemon and get out completely or they may make you a killer deal to trade it?

HighlanderCJ-7
Other_Erik
Forum User
Just Emptying Every Pocket
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 01:32:52 PM »

My 2011 JKU was in the shop a combined 30 days of the 10 months I had it. Maybe 8 times for the same issue and a few for others. They didn't want it turned in as a lemon, so they made me a sweet deal to trade up to a 2012. I am extremely happy it was a lemon as the difference between those two years is night and day.

So you can turn it in as a lemon and get out completely or they may make you a killer deal to trade it?
(emphasis mine)

At which point they don't have to classify it as a lemon and get to sell it to the next poor sucker in line as though it were a regular used vehicle.  Which, since we're talking about a Compass, who cares, right?

OP: Look up the Virginia Motor Vehicle Warranty Enforcement Act .  There are stringent requirements to be considered a lemon.  Also note that you will not get your full purchase price back, it is prorated based on your miles driven.

Since I know I'm lazy enough to skip research...  https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title59.1/chapter17.3/

Best of luck!
O_E

Daily: 2016 Hydro Rubicon JK, 2.5" franken-lifted, JW Speaker lighting, etc...
Wife's: 2013 JKU 3.5" Lift on 35's.
All future mod money is now being eaten by house renovations Sad
fyr jpr
Forum User
Drink local beer!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 08:31:57 PM »

Resolution to the Compass: Today we went to Pearson Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler after the sales manager made a call to FCA. The deal was that they bought back the Compass (presumably as a non lemon vehicle) and gave us $6,500 toward the purchase of a new vehicle of our choosing. We went home with a new 2017 Compass Trailhawk (98 miles on it) for essentially the same price as the Latitude that had all the issues. So basically starting over as if the Latitude never existed, our case manager at FCA was aware and fully helpful throughout the process, and we are very thankful we did not need legal assistance.

Dropkick
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 10:31:42 PM »

Glad to hear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WWW Logged

Shamus

'09JKU
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print