Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
April 26, 2018, 01:58:28 PM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CB Install troubleshooting  (Read 490 times)
r3dhand
Member 2018
« on: January 24, 2018, 02:45:36 PM »

I surrender.  Trying to install my Cobra 75wxst CB in my 2017 JKU.  Firestick antenna is giving me good grounding readings from a rear/spare tire mount, unit is powered up and all connections SEEM good.  However, the SWR readings on Ch 1 and Ch 40 are way over 3.  Nothing I have tried (moving antenna, rerunning the cable, redoing the connectors, rewiring and grounding power) have made a difference. 

Anyone have any advice?

R3dhand/Bill

2017 JKU
2.5" Teraflex lift w/ shocks, Monster adjustable track bar, Alpine front lower control arms
33" Mickey Thompson 305/65R17 ATZs, Mammoth 8 black wagon wheels
Barricade HD front and rear bumpers
sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 02:59:57 PM »

Are you coiling the cable anywhere?  I know mine was accidentally crossed over itself when I was testing it and that gave me a really high reading.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
PanteraPilot
Member 2018
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 03:42:22 PM »

Most firesticks have an adjustable screw under the tip of the antenna.  Pop the tip off and try unscrewing the screw.  I think mine had to come out almost a half an inch.  The screw adjustment is how you adjust the SWR on a Firestick.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 03:59:14 PM by PanteraPilot »

Digger571
Forum User
War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 03:53:39 PM »

Had the same issue when I located the control box behind glove box and too close to my stereo lock pick. Moved cb control box behind center console and now meter reads about .1 on both 1 & 40. 

-Paul
Redleg
Committee: Trail Rides
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 03:13:09 PM »

Also make sure you have the washers on the antenna mount on the right side of the mount.  If not, its not insulated.  Also make sure you are tuning in an open area, that could cause it too.

Bill
declen007
Member 2018
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 04:41:35 PM »

Please forgive the ignorance of this question but I know nothing about mounting a CB.... I have the cobra 75 and a firestick ... thats' it ... apparently I need a mounting bracket for the rear tire mount, cable or wire to run to the unit and the proper fittings , washers ect.  anyone able to help point me in the right direction with respect to ordering the additional needed parts ... oh yeah, and I guess it needs to be tuned with an SWR meter as well ( thanks YouTube ).  much appreciated ... Mark

Redleg
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 12:16:14 PM »

Please forgive the ignorance of this question but I know nothing about mounting a CB.... I have the cobra 75 and a firestick ... thats' it ... apparently I need a mounting bracket for the rear tire mount, cable or wire to run to the unit and the proper fittings , washers ect.  anyone able to help point me in the right direction with respect to ordering the additional needed parts ... oh yeah, and I guess it needs to be tuned with an SWR meter as well ( thanks YouTube ).  much appreciated ... Mark

If you have the stock tire carrier, you want a mount like I pasted in the link below, I added the mount too.  Bolts in to the stock carrier and let's you mount the antenna properly and securely.  You may also consider a spring for the antenna that screws in to the mount.  YOu will want to grind off the powder coat on the BOTTOM side of where you bolt the antenna mount to this, but that is all.  You want metal to metal for proper grounding. And remember ALL THE HARDWARE GOES ON THE BOTTOM sideof the mount bracket.

https://www.amazon.com/Teraflex-4997100-Antenna-Mount/dp/B006D9W1JK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1516986572&sr=8-13&keywords=CB+Jeep

https://www.amazon.com/RADIO-ANTENNA-HEAVY-SO-239-MOUNT/dp/B0765QHQMZ/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1516986712&sr=1-10&keywords=CB+antenna+mount

I also recommend just buying your own SWR, its cheap enough and then you can always re-tune your own when needed.  But DO NOT use your CB until you tune it or you can burn it up.

Bill
TrailBird
Member 2018 VA4WD
2017 WK2 Trailhawk®
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 03:19:21 PM »

Go see Scott at https://www.autooutfittersinc.com/products.

Redleg
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 01:25:01 PM »

I can second that if you can't get it figured out.  Scott is a good dude and knows his stuff with CB installs.  And he has everything you would need there at his shop.

Bill
sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 01:28:37 PM »

I can second that if you can't get it figured out.  Scott is a good dude and knows his stuff with CB installs.  And he has everything you would need there at his shop.

Third, I didn't know squat about CBs and went to Scott and he had everything at the store and installed it.  He was very helpful and let me help with the install and learn about it as well.  I think it was like $250 for everything.  Came in with nothing, left with an installed and working CB.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
r3dhand
Member 2018
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 05:01:42 PM »

Third, I didn't know squat about CBs and went to Scott and he had everything at the store and installed it.  He was very helpful and let me help with the install and learn about it as well.  I think it was like $250 for everything.  Came in with nothing, left with an installed and working CB.
Fourth.  Scott fixed my mistake(s) and had me running in 10 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2017 JKU
2.5" Teraflex lift w/ shocks, Monster adjustable track bar, Alpine front lower control arms
33" Mickey Thompson 305/65R17 ATZs, Mammoth 8 black wagon wheels
Barricade HD front and rear bumpers
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: