Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
July 22, 2018, 08:48:21 PM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starter cable connection - 98 TJ 4.0  (Read 292 times)
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« on: January 31, 2018, 02:44:27 PM »

So last night I worked late (14 hour day) and when I went to leave it cranked really slow but started.  When I got home, I turned it off and tried to restart just to check it - click, click, click was all I got.  The starter was new this summer and the lights are bright, horn blows, etc.  What I found is that there is blue-green corrosion coming out of the rubber block on the wires at the starter.  Is this thing some kind of connection?  I kind of yanked it around and up and down, then turned the key and it started with no problem.  At 20 degrees last night I just put it in the garage in case it didn't start this morning.  It did start, and I'm at work so I'll dig into this evening if it is a little warmer.  Is this cable/wire assembly replaceable, or do I just cut it loose from the block of rubber/plastic that is at the starter end and just put a new end on it.  I couldn't see a whole lot of it last night in the darkness.  I looked up "starter cable" on a few part sites and just found generic cables and no seemingly "exact" part.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 05:32:04 PM »

It's just a protect for the cables going to the starter, hack it off and put a couple ring terminal on the end of the wires, Brown goes to the small connector and the big one (probably red) goes to big terminal on the starter.

Make sure the corrosion hasn't crept up into the wires, cut them back as far as you have to to remove all of it.

When you put it back together, coat the rings with some Dielectric grease, vaseline, or bearing grease to prevent a repeat occurence...

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
1990 SJ Waggy
1989 XJ Cherocar
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 07:14:43 PM »

Sounds like a plan.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 08:39:08 PM »

Same thing happened to my Dads 00 TJ is had literally rotten at the terminal in the sleeve and had only 2 strands making contact. I cut it back and put new ends on. They do not leave you much slack to work with so it is a pain.

HighlanderCJ-7
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: