Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
October 18, 2018, 10:07:29 PM

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non jeep wrenching  (Read 1367 times)
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« on: January 13, 2018, 12:38:02 PM »

Can anyone help me out next weekend? Wife's truck failed inspection for the drum brakes locking up. I just had it apart over Christmas to replace the wheel cylinder but the inspector couldn't get the drum off to double check. It'll take a little hammer power to get the drum off (did when I replaced the cylinder too), but I think adjusting the star wheel should help it pass inspection. If not I'll just buy a new drum and be done with it.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
z4iken
Club Member at Large
2016 JK
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 12:42:34 PM »

I can probably help you out assuming it isn’t freezing outside (or you find a garage)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jeremy Theorem: Just buy 35's the first time
The Bill Corrolary: Bill is always technically right
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 05:51:18 PM »

If it is just adjusting the star screw, it “should be” and easy fix.

I am going to replace the wheel cylinders in the Impala tomorrow or Monday. Should come to the Advance tomorrow. Hope it is not too cold.

Anyway, if I am around, I might be able to help as well. Can you access the star from the access hole in the back?

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 08:04:28 PM »

I believe I can acess the star wheel, but now that's it failed I need to be able to remove the drum. That's what the inspector will be looking for.

I'd prefer not to do it on my gravel, sloped driveway in the cold is all.

RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 07:59:55 AM »

If you set the adjuster back far enough to get the drum off, you will then not have a working e-brake on that wheel and might get rejected for that.  Not to mention, your brakes won't feel right either.

Don't beat it to pieces.  Back-off the adjuster enough and hopefully the drum can then be pulled off.  Otherwise, yes, you may have to beat the drum off.

What is going on is you have a lip that has developed on the outside inner edge of the drum (where your upper lip goes when drinking coffee).  This is very common on drums that have been used for a long time.  It's because the shoes are slightly narrower than the inside of the drum braking surface.  You can either grind the lip off or replace it with a new drum.  Drums will usually last forever unless they get severely damaged by the shoe backing plate.  Me, I'd probably just grind the outside inner edge down so it is just a little lower than the braking surface.  It's free and just takes about 5 minutes (with the right tools).

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 08:53:41 AM »

If you set the adjuster back far enough to get the drum off, you will then not have a working e-brake on that wheel and might get rejected for that.  Not to mention, your brakes won't feel right either.

Don't beat it to pieces.  Back-off the adjuster enough and hopefully the drum can then be pulled off.  Otherwise, yes, you may have to beat the drum off.

What is going on is you have a lip that has developed on the outside inner edge of the drum (where your upper lip goes when drinking coffee).  This is very common on drums that have been used for a long time.  It's because the shoes are slightly narrower than the inside of the drum braking surface.  You can either grind the lip off or replace it with a new drum.  Drums will usually last forever unless they get severely damaged by the shoe backing plate.  Me, I'd probably just grind the outside inner edge down so it is just a little lower than the braking surface.  It's free and just takes about 5 minutes (with the right tools).

That's what I'm thinking as well.  I had the drum off over Christmas but wasn't checking for that.  Everything was a mess from a leaking wheel cylinder that gunked up all the brake dust, so I had to clean that off instead.  I'm hoping by backing off the star wheel I can slide the drum off, use a wire wheel or grinder on the inside of the drum to remove that lip, then expand the starwheel back out, and presto (in theory)!  I'm just not sure until I get the thing off and see for sure though.  A new drum is $45, so not the end of the world if I just replace it too.

sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 11:03:23 AM »

bump, anybody got a dry garage floor?  Weather actually looks pretty good for saturday....

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 05:15:49 PM »

bump, anybody got a dry garage floor?  Weather actually looks pretty good for saturday....

Feel free to come over to my place in Ashburn. I will be replacing the wheel cylinders in the impala

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 05:24:44 PM »

Feel free to come over to my place in Ashburn. I will be replacing the wheel cylinders in the impala

Thanks Dain, I should be there around 1 if that works for you. Happy to help with the impala as well.

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 05:25:12 PM »

bump, anybody got a dry garage floor?  Weather actually looks pretty good for saturday....

Thanks Dain, I should be there around 1 if that works for you. Happy to help with the impala as well.

See you Saturday

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 06:11:03 PM »

Having fun. Took longer than it should have. Drum was seized on the hub

Tried cutting.
Tried heat

Got a gear puller 5 hours later

New drum on

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 09:48:58 PM »

Having fun. Took longer than it should have. Drum was seized on the hub

Tried cutting.
Tried heat

Got a gear puller 5 hours later

New drum on

Thanks again Dain, here's some other fun stuff we tried to get that drum off....

Last pic is after we cut the face of the drum free and it still wouldn't budge!!

sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 10:16:54 PM »

On the plus side though, if anyone needs a 12 ton hydraulic puller, I got you covered!

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 11:16:57 PM »

Get that thing inspected before the drum seizes on the hub again. Wink

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Dropkick