Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
July 18, 2018, 09:41:03 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chevy Silverado 1500s & Ford F-150s  (Read 1054 times)
JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Arlington, VA
« on: January 13, 2018, 03:22:59 PM »

My DD Kia Optima got totaled the other day, so now I'm in the market for a half ton pickup. Looking into getting either a Silverado or F-150. I'll be getting a used model, and looking to spend roughly 20k or less (but I've got some wiggle room), so probably looking around 2011 - 2014 model years. I want four doors and don't need the extended bed. Would like a V8 as well for better towing capability. Want 4x4 also.

Any things to be look out for on these model years for the Ford/Chevy - which engines are preferable, etc? Any insight is appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 03:27:18 PM by JEEPIN J »

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 03:38:21 PM »

2014 Chevy owner here. Crew cab 6ft bed. 4x4 z71. Getting around 18mpg regularly other than freaking 66 traffic. Check the 4wd system even if you just shift it a few times. The actuators can be wierd. They changed a TON in the 14s so 14+ is usually more preferred. Check new pricing on last year models they're running huge incentives on any they have left.

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
PanteraPilot
Member 2018
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 08:05:08 PM »

Ford Triton V8s (5.4 and V10) have an exhaust manifold stud problem.  They used tiny stud bolts/nuts that rust out.  The manifolds start to leak and you can't get the manifolds off without breaking the nuts.  Then you have a serious problem.  Ask any repair shop about them.  It's a real issue.  I doubt you can get a 150 with a V10 though.

highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 08:45:35 PM »

Of the two GM all the way, no gas engine compaires to the LS-X engines. I have a Hemi, it is not squat to a 6.0L

HighlanderCJ-7
JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Arlington, VA
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »

I would be open to a 2017 like you suggested Stephen if the price was right. Looking at all the dealers in NOVa the inventory looks low. There's a Iock Hendricks dealer in Richmond that has a bunch of them. I do like some of the color options from 2014-15 better though, but it's not a huge deal.

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
PanteraPilot
Member 2018
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 11:10:26 PM »

I would be open to a 2017 like you suggested Stephen if the price was right. Looking at all the dealers in NOVa the inventory looks low. There's a Iock Hendricks dealer in Richmond that has a bunch of them. I do like some of the color options from 2014-15 better though, but it's not a huge deal.

Well I wasn't going to say anything but since you widened your original criteria..... If you want to widen a little more, I'm about to sell my 2015 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel.  Standard cab 8' bed.  That's really a stretch from where you started though.

Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 05:43:49 AM »

Little older, but 2008 Silverado 1500 owner here. Extended cab, shorter bed. Love everything about the truck aside from interior build quality. I think theyíve taken a few more positive steps in recent years to improve it, but my interior just feels so damn cheap sometimes. Low-quality, creaky plastics, button labels that wear or rub off prematurely without any out-of-the-ordinary abuse. Doesnít sound like a big deal but when you spend so many hours in a vehicle, things like that get to you. Seats are cozy though, and spacious, and the climate control system is strong.

Powertrain-wise itís been fine. 104k on the engine and trans, no problems (knocking on wood). Only problems that I do have right now are a finicky passenger door lock actuator which only likes to work when itís cold, and both of my front CV boots have split open and puked their guts all over the front arms. Replacements for those arrive tomorrow. Itís by no means a rocket ship but Iíve towed my Ď87 Cherokee numerous times on a flat car trailer and have never had an issue. Plenty of go-power and stopping power. But, if I had to do it again, I would have held out for a 6.0 2500 instead. The extra oomph would be nice sometimes and the internals of the motor are a bit more stout in their ability to take a lifetime of hard miles. GM truck transmissions in general are solid across the board.

Avoid the Ford 5.4, if that was even available in the 2010+ years.

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Arlington, VA
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 07:50:30 AM »

Well I wasn't going to say anything but since you widened your original criteria..... If you want to widen a little more, I'm about to sell my 2015 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel.  Standard cab 8' bed.  That's really a stretch from where you started though.
While I would love to take that off your hands, it just wouldn't be practical for me right now. Parking a half ton with a 6 foot bed in a parking garage will be a chore in itself.

Found a couple 2017s that I'm going to make some calls on. Thanks for everybody's input.

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
ogre45
Member 2018
Winchester,VA
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 11:16:44 AM »

I picked a 17 Nissan Titan about 7 months ago J. Iíve been happy with it since. I was looking at the GMC or Ford when I started, but Nissan gave me a really good deal. Good luck with your search. Just wanted to throw that out there as another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex
1969 Jeepster Commando in work
2018 JKU Golden Eagle,Teraflex leveling kit, EVO oil and trans skid
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 11:28:33 AM »

While I would love to take that off your hands, it just wouldn't be practical for me right now. Parking a half ton with a 6 foot bed in a parking garage will be a chore in itself.

Found a couple 2017s that I'm going to make some calls on. Thanks for everybody's input.

heads up parking the larger 1500s isant bad at all especially with the back up camera. Don't buy anything without one.

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
PanteraPilot
Member 2018
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 05:12:54 PM »

Well I wasn't going to say anything but since you widened your original criteria..... If you want to widen a little more, I'm about to sell my 2015 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel.  Standard cab 8' bed.  That's really a stretch from where you started though.

heads up parking the larger 1500s isant bad at all especially with the back up camera. Don't buy anything without one.

Yup  -  My 2500 Ram sits a full 7' tall.  That rules out a lot of garages.  But if you want to pull a tank up a hill at 70MPH, the Cummins is great.

JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Arlington, VA
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 12:30:30 PM »

Ended up with a 2018 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4 with the 5.3. Fully loaded LT. It was cheaper than the brand new 2017s still on lots. Love it so far!

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
ogre45
Member 2018
Winchester,VA
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 12:32:54 PM »

Glad it worked out for you J. They are nice trucks.

Alex
1969 Jeepster Commando in work
2018 JKU Golden Eagle,Teraflex leveling kit, EVO oil and trans skid
JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Arlington, VA
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 08:35:31 PM »

Glad it worked out for you J. They are nice trucks.

I can't believe how nice trucks have gotten...way more comfort options than in the past.

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 07:52:52 AM »

I can't believe how nice trucks have gotten...way more comfort options than in the past.

Kind of like Jeeps.....

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: