Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
October 19, 2018, 09:19:32 AM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The terrible new inspection sticker location  (Read 7648 times)
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 05:53:29 PM »

Not to start a "Food Fight" - my understanding is that the 250 miles from your home address limit only applies to pleasure drives. There is no distance limit on club events and car shows... Let's keep those club events and car shows coming. Boink

Garner

I need a car show at my work office every weekday!

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
cmason164
Member 2018
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 07:25:23 PM »

there's always this caveat to fall back on

"Testing its operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance"

Every drive is a test drive in mine...

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

RattleTrap55
Member 2018
84 CJ7
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 08:16:13 PM »

there's always this caveat to fall back on

"Testing its operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance"

Every drive is a test drive in mine...

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

I love it - Daily Driver for sure...

3.5 Lift on 33's
4.2L w/HESCO MFI & Howard Cam
T-5 & Dana 300
Spartan Locker

2018 JKU - box stock
RustyZJ
Member 2018
Formally Known as Warhorse
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 06:17:53 PM »

I don't know where a lot of others here are located but in Prince William County I've seen a lot of older vehicles being driven as daily drivers with antique tags. Around Nokesville (where I am) there are also a lot of people running "Farm Use" tags and it's a pretty safe bet a lot of them aren't being used as farm vehicles on a farm! Apparently PWC police just don't bother to look at them.

zuke
Forum User
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 06:34:26 PM »

I don't know where a lot of others here are located but in Prince William County I've seen a lot of older vehicles being driven as daily drivers with antique tags. Around Nokesville (where I am) there are also a lot of people running "Farm Use" tags and it's a pretty safe bet a lot of them aren't being used as farm vehicles on a farm! Apparently PWC police just don't bother to look at them.

The real issue with running that way isn't getting a ticket... The ticket is a pretty small fine. The issue in both cases is in the event of an accident, the insurance companies will dig in and find out if you were in violation of the law, and will refuse to pay when they find out you were....

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
RustyZJ
Member 2018
Formally Known as Warhorse
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 05:45:07 AM »

The real issue with running that way isn't getting a ticket... The ticket is a pretty small fine. The issue in both cases is in the event of an accident, the insurance companies will dig in and find out if you were in violation of the law, and will refuse to pay when they find out you were....

Oh, I know. I don't do it personally and I don't want to give the impression I was advocating the idea either. There are also a lot of jacked up 4x4 trucks around here that I know for a fact are way over the bumper height limit. It's just that nobody pays any attention to them. I did think about antique tags on my CJ-7 but since it is now my daily driver I decided against the idea even though I only drive maybe 3 miles to work on back roads.

Zedi
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 09:21:07 AM »

For antique tags you are also required to prove you have another vehicle you can use as your DD.  As for insurance, I think that it depends.  They would have to prove that you were using it illegaly. 

1998 TJ JEEBA Jeep
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 09:36:00 AM »

Not to start a "Food Fight" - my understanding is that the 250 miles from your home address limit only applies to pleasure drives. There is no distance limit on club events and car shows... Let's keep those club events and car shows coming. Boink

Garner

I need a car show at my work office every weekday!

Interesting..I would definitely count a trail ride as a club event or car show.

Fun fact: our big black International Jeep hauler is registered as an antique haha. I have no shame in that either, 100% legal-beagle.

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 09:42:26 AM »

I have a motorcycle with antique tags on it.  It was my father's and I restored it after he passed away from ALS.  Every time I ride is an "occasional pleasure drive".

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
AutoTraker
Forum User
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 10:34:37 AM »

According to a VA State Trooper I spoke to the plastic farm use tags (Red and white) are not valid plates. Although if it classifies as a farm use vehicle that doesn't need registration, the plastic tags qualify the same as writing "Farm Use" somewhere on the vehicle. The plastic Farm Use tags have restrictions on where you can go and when.  https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#farm_unregistered.asp
You can register a farm use vehicle with DMV and have a DMV issued farm use tag. https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#farm_registration.asp
Antique tags also do have restrictions. Make sure you know them before getting Antique tags. https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/antique.html
I've actually had a couple run-ins with local cops about both the farm use and antique tags. Local cops don't seem to know the regulations so you should familiarize yourself with them in case you get stopped.

As to inspection sticker location. Moving it is horrible. On some vehicles it doesn't really matter but for others is greatly restricts the drivers view. So for a few cars that have collision avoidance devices that peer out the center of the windshield, other vehicles that don't have that device have to have their vision restricted. They couldn't have just moved it for those few vehicles that have those devices. I'm just glad my CJ doesn't need inspection. For the TJ, it'll be just plain in the way.

--
Rich...
Last count have 3 Jeeps. A CJ, TJ & a XJ.  Also got a Yota.
I Live in a Country Founded by Geniuses but Run by Idiots.
Central Virginia Jeepers
RCPFA
dave2002ti
Member 2018
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 04:43:35 PM »

Farm tags see them all the time in Fauquier County.  Not that often if PWC and never in Fairfax County and I live in Clifton.

Would work great if you were into brewing beer or operated a distillery.

Probaly wouldn't be a good idea to drive from Upperville to Tysons Corner in a vehicle with Farm Use tags.

Just remember its all abouttax revenue and ahs very little to do about having safe vehicles on the road.

Can't wait to see a self driving "Farm Use" vehicle.

Dave Apker

Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 06:25:44 PM »

I was actually driving along 7 the other day just west of Tyson's and saw a big BRIGHT yellow Chevy 2500 with farm use tags.  I thought for a minute it might be government, but there's no way a local government would put FARM USE tags on a truck...right?

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
mlm_cherokeekl
Member 2018
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2018, 08:11:10 PM »

This all makes me miss how Georgia is so simple with all of this. When your vehicle came up for re-registration every year, you didn't have to get it inspected (which was just an emissions test) until it was 5 years old. And as long as your vehicle was manufactured after 2012, you didn't have to pay the advelorum tax. So you paid $40 to re-register your vehicle and they just gave you a sticker that was a certain color for that year. You stuck that on your single license plate, on the rear, and you were good for the whole year.

Oh, the good old days. haha

RattleTrap55
Member 2018
84 CJ7
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 07:14:14 AM »

I have a motorcycle with antique tags on it.  It was my father's and I restored it after he passed away from ALS.  Every time I ride is an "occasional pleasure drive".

The word "Special" needs to be inserted in your quotes. I gotta ask, what kind of bike is it?

3.5 Lift on 33's
4.2L w/HESCO MFI & Howard Cam
T-5 & Dana 300
Spartan Locker

2018 JKU - box stock
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 08:15:45 AM »

It's an '87 Kawasaki Concours.  They're basically bullet-proof 1000cc Ninjas with shaft drive, larger faring, and hard luggage.  Model wise they are ZG1000A2.  The latest platform is from the ZX1400 and are truly monsters.  There is a pretty big cult following for the Concours series if you look them up.  We both bought one new in '88.  Mine was red pearl his was silver.  They were about 150 units apart on the assembly line in Nebraska.  I 've had many bikes since then but never got rid of that one because we used them to go touring on.  I sold mine after he passed and did a complete disassembly and rebuild on his and added some performance parts that I know he wouldn't approve of like cams and stick coils.  I also painted it black.  I do track days with it too!

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: