Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
June 17, 2018, 06:41:39 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aftermarket Fuel Injection  (Read 1428 times)
I6CJ7
Forum User
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 07:16:45 AM »

I'm looking into the holley sniper efi kit myself. And holley has the fuel mats which you put into non baffled gas tanks made for carburetors. Any fuel touching the mat is sucked up like a sponge. So you don't need a sump or have starvation issues.

dave2002ti
Member 2018
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 06:42:57 PM »

The only thing worse than a holley carb is the projection kit. Total junk. IMHO all carbs should be boat anchors. Especially in an offroad Jeep.

All carbs should be boat anchors??? Nothing better than a Ferrari V12 with Weber carbs or 3l Porsche flat 6 with 2x3bbl Webers. Or a BMW M10 2l or F2 engine running Webers.
Or dual Webers on a 1.6l 4 cylinder water cooled VW engine. Beat the hell out of FI. 
Dave Apker

MusketStyle
Ramming it through... MusketStyle
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 08:47:27 PM »

I ran a Holley truck Avenger for a couple of years and off-road it worked really great but it was kind of a problem on the street. I'm running a Quadrajet which runs pretty good in the summertime not so good in the winter time. I like carburetors but I'm getting to the point where I don't want to fuss with them anymore and I don't want to spend the money to get them Dyno Tuned and the dyno tune shop near me will not do it because my Jeep is covered in mud because Jeep. I have nothing against carburetors I enjoyed learning about them and I enjoyed the very very inexpensive process of buying and rebuilding them as compared to fuel injection I think all in all I have maybe $200 invested in the two carburetors that I have used.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2002 WJ I6 selectrak, transmission shift kit

1985 CJ7 I6 258 4.2L
Dana 300
T-5 transmission
32x11.50x15
MusketStyle
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 08:48:46 PM »

I'm looking into the holley sniper efi kit myself. And holley has the fuel mats which you put into non baffled gas tanks made for carburetors. Any fuel touching the mat is sucked up like a sponge. So you don't need a sump or have starvation issues.
Those fuel mats are really freaking cool I was really impressed with the videos I saw those

1985 CJ7 I6 258 4.2L
Dana 300
T-5 transmission
32x11.50x15
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2018, 08:33:02 AM »

The only thing worse than a holley carb is the projection kit. Total junk. IMHO all carbs should be boat anchors. Especially in an offroad Jeep.

All carbs should be boat anchors??? Nothing better than a Ferrari V12 with Weber carbs or 3l Porsche flat 6 with 2x3bbl Webers. Or a BMW M10 2l or F2 engine running Webers.
Or dual Webers on a 1.6l 4 cylinder water cooled VW engine. Beat the hell out of FI. 
Dave Apker

NONE of the above can touch the potential of the LS-X platform.

HighlanderCJ-7
MusketStyle
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 07:18:41 PM »

Dave Apker

NONE of the above can touch the potential of the LS-X platform.
Yeah but for under $200 I can buy a used carb and intake manifold. How much is the ls-x?

1985 CJ7 I6 258 4.2L
Dana 300
T-5 transmission
32x11.50x15
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 12:12:55 PM »

For what a carb costs you can put a junkyard GM 4.3L TBI on the 258 and it will perform well. 1000 times better than the carb. I have been wheeling with a carb on my rig since 95 and I hate it. Itís the one thing that holds my rig back from max potentail. I will never again build another carbíd rig.

The LS-X can be done dirt cheap by a compentent mechanic as well. However the comment was for Dave in the over priced carbed engines mentioned.

HighlanderCJ-7
dave2002ti
Member 2018
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 04:22:46 PM »

M10s and VW watercooled 1.6 I4s used to be dirt cheap.

Now if we want to talk expensive engines with dual Webers hows about a S14. 

Even a 2l Ford sohc with Webers aint that bad even in a SCCA Gt3 Pinto.

Saw on Facebook someone dropping a LS engine into a Jag XJS !!! Really. A XJS needs a 7l Jag V12 Le Mans engine

Almost as bad is dropping a LS into a Pontiac Firebird when you can drop in a nice 455SD even better if its an aftermarket aluminum big block.

Dave Apker

schreiberaj
Forum User
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 05:33:51 PM »

While we all agree that just about all Jeeps and BMWs could benefit from an LS swap I think we are moving away from the $1500 budget and injection conversion question being asked...

MusketStyle
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 07:15:17 PM »

While we all agree that just about all Jeeps and BMWs could benefit from an LS swap I think we are moving away from the $1500 budget and injection conversion question being asked...
Hahaha yes. Thank you.

Also, I'm mid installation now of a base level Fi-tech system and the Novak Adapter in tank Fuel Pump.

Two things so far.

1. The Novak Adapter fuel pump has a serious homemade vibe to it. Especially for $250

2.  Be prepared to drop serious coin on fuel hoses and AN-6 fittings. These systems (or at least my fi-tech system) require an-6  fittings to connect to the fuel system. I'm probably closer to $100 spent just on that part of the system and you can't get an-6 fittings anywhere local that I am aware of... So that's been the worst part so far.

I'm thinking I will need:
4 an-6 fittings
6' steel hardline
Two 5' sections of braided fuel injection hoses

The Novak Adapter kit comes with a fuel filter and enough hose to reach the steel hard line. Depending on how you mount the fuel filter you may need some additional rubber fuel injection hose.

Make sure you get fuel injection hose for the supply side. Regular fuel hose won't hold up to the 58 psi running the system.

1985 CJ7 I6 258 4.2L
Dana 300
T-5 transmission
32x11.50x15
MusketStyle
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 07:24:05 PM »

I have a way to go still

1985 CJ7 I6 258 4.2L
Dana 300
T-5 transmission
32x11.50x15
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 09:25:48 AM »

OH Hellz yeah! Grab a Wrench!

HighlanderCJ-7
MusketStyle
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2018, 03:45:21 PM »

Nothing like shiny parts on clapped out cars lol

1985 CJ7 I6 258 4.2L
Dana 300
T-5 transmission
32x11.50x15
nosigma
Member 2018
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2018, 10:21:37 AM »

Dave Apker

Or 3 45 DCOE's on a big cammed ported stroker.

John

VirginiaZJ "Frank, Stop. Don't come down here"
Somebody: "Is John in a predicament?"
VirginiaZJ "The front of his Jeep is facing me now"
Somebody: "Yeah, I guess that's a predicament"

Quote overhead
Thought I saw nosigma at eastern mountain sports but it turns out the guys xj had been sideswiped
MusketStyle
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2018, 10:56:44 AM »

Short update on my install process. It's installed it's running and it drives okay. It still has a little bit of a hesitation coming off of a dead stop I am running a 5-speed. it does run better overall than the Holley truck Avenger that I was running that was oversized it does not seem to run $1000 better than the Quadrajet carburetor I was  running but I expect that as it learns it will get better. I'm not a hundred percent sure it was worth all the money and heartache but I'm going to Wheelin for Hope and that will be the deciding factor at the end of this month.

I will also add that I have an extremely bad hack job exhaust that is probably hurting my performance quite a bit.

One thing to note I would highly recommend is their kit that includes the fuel pump and all the hoses and fittings that you need I probably spent close to the same amount of money buying hoses and fittings and things in Endless frustration trying to get the right stuff and not being able to get it in town but having to wait for it to come on Amazon or something like that.

1985 CJ7 I6 258 4.2L
Dana 300
T-5 transmission
32x11.50x15
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: