Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
October 19, 2018, 09:18:38 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Demon and Don Garlits  (Read 976 times)
Runner
Member 2018
« on: February 06, 2018, 09:46:49 AM »

For those of you like me that grew up in the early drag racing days, this is a great article about just how far production cars have come, and the legend behind more racing innovations than you can imagine.  Back in the day I had a supercharged '69 Camaro that put down 700+ HP to the rear wheels.  It was a low 10 second car, on street slicks, that was barely drivable on the road.  Now, cars are putting out that kind of power with all the creature comforts. 

Read on for more about "Big Daddy" and the new Dodge Challenger SRT8 Demon.  Hint..."the Hemi-powered Demon set a new production-car quarter-mile recordó9.65 seconds at 140 mph, confirmed by the National Hot Rod Association".

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a15933028/don-garlits-dodge-challenger-srt-demon/   

2004 Wrangler Unlimited - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
GOTOMAN
Committee: Events
JEEP !!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 12:29:36 PM »

Cool , I gotta go back and read it slower just went thru quick!  Thumbs Up

highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 02:34:27 PM »

Thanks  Cheers Cheers

HighlanderCJ-7
RustyZJ
Member 2018
Formally Known as Warhorse
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 05:57:07 PM »

For those of you like me that grew up in the early drag racing days, this is a great article about just how far production cars have come, and the legend behind more racing innovations than you can imagine.  Back in the day I had a supercharged '69 Camaro that put down 700+ HP to the rear wheels.  It was a low 10 second car, on street slicks, that was barely drivable on the road.  Now, cars are putting out that kind of power with all the creature comforts. 

Read on for more about "Big Daddy" and the new Dodge Challenger SRT8 Demon.  Hint..."the Hemi-powered Demon set a new production-car quarter-mile recordó9.65 seconds at 140 mph, confirmed by the National Hot Rod Association".

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a15933028/don-garlits-dodge-challenger-srt-demon/   

Yeah, it's kinda sad to think that there are minivans and SUVs now that would beat a lot of of the muscle cars from years ago.

dave2002ti
Member 2018
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 08:50:20 AM »

I can remember the good ole days late 70's through the 80's when a sub 12 sec 0 to 60mph was considered a decent. In the late 80's and early 90's sub 8 sec 0 to 60mph times were considered fast.

In the early 90's late 80's Vettes and 3rd generation Camaros with about 400hp where a fixture at the local BMWCCA driving schools at Summit Point for guys who couldn't afford M3s, M6s, Vipers and Porsche turbos.
They still din't handle or brake well.  Only nanny was ABS which could defeated or you installed and on/off switch for wet skidpad time cause ABS and spinning are not a good combo.

Glad Garlits is still around along with the Snake and a few other legends. I guess inhaling nitro methane fumes is the secret to along life.

Dave Apker

WPJH
Member 2018
I DID THIS TO TAKE UP SPACE
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 09:43:14 AM »

Interesting read, Thank you for sharing it. I just wish they had the video linked of him making the hits...

Zedi
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 09:45:44 AM »

In 1976 my dad bought a 75 CJ5 Renegade with a 304.  Zero to sixty was quicker than anything but a Vette or Grand National at around 10 seconds. Almost unbeatable in Saturday night stoplight to stoplight drags.   i even beat a supercharged 67 Nova,    Well for about 50 feet anyway, he definitely underestimated the Jeep.

Jodi had a 13 V6 premium Mustang that is ranked 8th or 9th quickest of any production Mustangs depending on the source.  A V6 quicker than any of the legendary muscle car era Mustangs. Things have definitely changed.

1998 TJ JEEBA Jeep
karlmagnum
Forum User
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 01:29:02 AM »

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed reading it. I also saw some Youtube videos about him.

highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 06:21:13 AM »

In light of this, I just got word that Lindsay Dodge is getting 3 Demons in this week. All have been sold before they even got there. (over $100k) They have 2 more that are also sold.

HighlanderCJ-7
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: