Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
February 22, 2018, 09:27:26 PM

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why wouldn’t Chrysler issue a recall  (Read 447 times)
schreiberaj
Forum User
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 11:22:47 AM »

Get a Toyota. Durable, reliable, and best of all it will out-wheel your jeep.

highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 02:20:44 PM »

With half it's frame intact....

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:29:13 PM by sirjames186 »

HighlanderCJ-7
Onyx Dragon
Forum User
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 02:50:59 PM »

Get a Toyota. Durable, reliable, and best of all it will out-wheel your jeep.

Speaking of import companies that don't issue recalls  ROTFLMAO

Bill Staples
1999 XJ
2002 TJ
schreiberaj
Forum User
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 03:00:39 PM »

With half it's frame intact....

and it will still out-wheel a JKU...  Wink

///BHRpowered
Member 2018
Renegade Super Villan
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 02:21:53 AM »

Recall is usually going to be ordered by government - or internal lawyers who make a pretty power point with colored graphs showing how fixing the problem will be cheaper then lawsuits. They may just be trying to say it was a bad batch.

That being said, my newest Jeep is not a reliable car, fair number of gremlins and even worse - programmed failures. Sometimes I'll start the car and it'll just automatically go into off-road 2 and get mad when I drive over 15mph. Hitting the down and up arrows almost 60% of time triggers voice command dialing, shifting into reverse the transmission sometimes forgets it has gears, just shows two dashes and acts like its in neutral, washing the car and spraying front windows somehow triggers the remote unlocking. Starter motor went out at 38k, yes 38k and Jeep wouldn't fix it, claimed it wasn't powertrain. Had to cancel siruis in it because every few weeks when updating channels it would erase all presets (xm only) VERY soft paint. I'm talking like 1960's Italian paint, very cheap and maybe I had a bad one but the number of swirls it'll pick up from hand washing is insane. Poor quality materials on interior, seat started to crack a bit around 25k - by comparison my WJ didn't start cracking until around 140k.

Given quality and direction of company, along with rising cost while trading in Jeep tradition for trendy hipster features I doubt I'd buy another Chrysler project 2009 or newer. Which is weird because they are owned by fiat, who also owns alfa romeo, and I'v got my eye on possibly a new Guilia

I know several car people in Europe.  They view Fiat as a "I need a car now" type of car, and not a serious contender.  They have a nice car or two, but on the whole, it's a car they use to get them through 2-3 years until they can afford a better car.

A fiat badged as a fiat yes, they are like chevy cobalts - But fiat as a parent company owns alot

Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Chrysler for some reason...

WWW Logged

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement I would be unstoppable" - ///BHRpowered
"Watching the two black Millenias disappear over the horizon in front of the helplessly outraced Chevy was a treat for the X-man" - Xedosman
"I am not looking to take over the world like BHR" - cwkann
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
One man's trash is another man's treasure.
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 07:46:28 AM »

Given quality and direction of company, along with rising cost while trading in Jeep tradition for trendy hipster features I doubt I'd buy another Chrysler project 2009 or newer. Which is weird because they are owned by fiat, who also owns alfa romeo, and I'v got my eye on possibly a new Guilia

Very coincidental that you say this...literally yesterday morning I was reading the MT article about the Giulia being named 2018 COTY.  Sounds like a lot of the big-ticket issues that plagued the car were sorted out after a few months of manufacturing by Fiat, and now they are supposedly far more reliable across the board.  Nice cars, too!  That little 2.0L it has is a gem of a motor.  Over 300lbs/trq from 2 liters of engine is a marvelous thing.

And I wholllllly disagree with the Japanese car resale value myths.  One of my biggest regrets from the past couple years is buying a Silverado instead of biting the bullet and investing in a Tundra or more used LC. The cars that have maintained their resale value best over the past 5-10 years are all Yotas--FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, and Tacoma.  Not necessarily in that order.  I read a study somewhere that found that the FJ maintained 97% of its true market value after 3 years and 36k miles which is crazy stupid good value.  And the Tacoma in the past few years especially has exploded with popularity.  Nowadays a 2 year-old Tacoma with 40,000 miles is essentially the same price as a new vehicle...I actually think it might be the most handsome pickup for sale today.  They're fantastic trucks.  Looking forward to one day trading in my Silverado for one of those or a Tundra.  Based on performance and design trends the once-puny Tacoma will probably be able to out-tow my 1500 in a few years.

Jeep: 1987 Cherokee w/ 4.0, 242, D30/44, and some things
Jeep: 1986 CJ7 w/ 258, 5-speed ((SOLD))
DD: Thirsty 2008 Chevy Silverado
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: