Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
May 25, 2018, 05:25:49 PM

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why wouldn’t Chrysler issue a recall  (Read 1250 times)
total2010
Forum User
« on: February 10, 2018, 07:45:21 AM »

So I’ve been debating whether my Jeep was possessed or had an electrical failure for whatever reason. Turns out that the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) is pretty poopy on most of Chrysler vehicles which causes many crazy symptoms such as wipers and horn going off by themselves at 5am, car randomly shutting down down i66, door locks going crazy. At first I thought it was an issue of mine because I installed LEDs (head and taillights) stupid ha?! Laughing always keeping the blame off of the Jeep. It’s been a pavement princess,not a single off-road trip. Anyhow, couple thousand miles later the same issue returns and now I’m driving my Brother’s Honda to work because my Jeep isn’t reliable...

Funny thing is, Chrysler issued a TIPM recall for a specific brand for one year and denied all requests to fix other years. I’m honestly getting really frustrated and disappointed with this whole situation. Like I love my Jeep, but what’s t eh point of it if it’s gonna be sitting in my Driveway as a brick.

Sorry about the long rant..thanks for letting me vent-out y’all!

TrailBird
Member 2018 VA4WD
2017 WK2 Trailhawk®
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 10:10:51 AM »

What year and model do you have?

total2010
Forum User
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 01:06:56 PM »

What year and model do you have?

08 JKU

highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 02:14:03 PM »

Why? Because they want you to pay for it and not them.
I got screwed out of 1200 for it in my Ram😡

GM is just as bad they screwed a lot of engines and cooling systems up with that crappy pink antifreeze. By they will never admit it.

HighlanderCJ-7
total2010
Forum User
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 07:53:57 PM »

GM is just as bad they screwed a lot of engines and cooling systems up with that crappy pink antifreeze. By they will never admit it.

Honestly, I feel its time for me to switch to Japanese cars...less maintenance and more reliability  Mad

Onyx Dragon
Forum User
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 01:12:34 PM »

Honestly, I feel its time for me to switch to Japanese cars...less maintenance and more reliability  Mad

Less maint and more reliability is a myth.  In addition, if you think the domestics are bad about recalls, then you definitely won't be happy with a Japanese manufacturer.

Bill Staples
1999 XJ
2013 JK
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 02:29:18 PM »

And the costs of parts. The problem is foreign crap in our Jeeps. You can thank Mercades for the TIPM and funky Key.

HighlanderCJ-7
TrailBird
Member 2018 VA4WD
2017 WK2 Trailhawk®
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 06:51:55 PM »

Less maint and more reliability is a myth.
[/quote]

I absolutely disagree. A higher resale value is hardly mythical. It’s achieved over time.

zuke
Forum User
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 07:11:23 PM »

Quote from: Onyx Dragon

I absolutely disagree. A higher resale value is hardly mythical. It’s achieved over time.

Resale value, While important is hardly an indication of maintainability or reliability, and is much more an indicator of public perception of value and desirability of a vehicle, witness that the very vehicle model that lead to this discussion is Number 4 on Kelly Blue books "Best Resale Value" list for 2018...

https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-top-10-cars/?r=442846078942968450

And it sure isn't there because it's established reliability.....

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
1990 SJ Waggy
1989 XJ Cherocar
Onyx Dragon
Forum User
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 07:55:53 PM »

[/quote]

I've owned 2 80's era Chevrolets, a mid 90's era Oldsmobile, 4 Pontiacs from the 2000-2004 years, an 80's Toyota Celica, a 1998 BMW 328i, 2 Cherokees, a Grand Cherokee, a mid 2000s CTS, and my Wrangler.

The Celica lost it's engine and trans by 80k miles, and it was maintained well.  The BMW had constant electrical gremlins (serious gremlins like the ABS deciding to stop working randomly, and the part of the computer controlling that part of the car deciding not to communicate with anything when you tried to read codes), the gas tank tube broke, and the interior had a habit of plastic screw covers popping out all over, plus the displays went out for the radio.

Of all those American cars I owned, the only one with a serious issue was an 85 Celebrity...and it was HORRIBLE.  But it wasn't in great shape when I bought it, so that's on me  ROTFLMAO  My Wrangler has been a handful, but I can't vouch for the maintenance on it by the previous owner.  Heck, my 95 Cherokee was horribly maintained and still ran...poorly until I swapped the engine, but it ran and I didn't need to replace anything.

Heck, I raced the Pontiacs and they never even gave me a little trouble.  What I learned is that it largely comes down to maintenance and care.  Though some are just awful.  VWs, for example, install gremlins from the factory.  They live in your wires and computers.

The one thing you can't base ANY decision off of is the resale value.  Resale value only tells you how much you're going to get screwed when buying a used car because of the name on it.

Bill Staples
1999 XJ
2013 JK
TrailBird
Member 2018 VA4WD
2017 WK2 Trailhawk®
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 08:56:49 PM »

Quote from: Onyx Dragon

Resale value, While important is hardly an indication of maintainability or reliability, and is much more an indicator of public perception of value and desirability of a vehicle, witness that the very vehicle model that lead to this discussion is Number 4 on Kelly Blue books "Best Resale Value" list for 2018...

https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-top-10-cars/?r=442846078942968450

And it sure isn't there because it's established reliability.....

I'll concede #4 is has to be primarily brand loyalty and popularity. But hey. Dunno?  Ha. The top three on your list are all foreign cars with arguably the best brand perception--reputation for reliability and quality.

TrailBird
Member 2018 VA4WD
2017 WK2 Trailhawk®
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 08:58:55 PM »

I've owned 2 80's era Chevrolets, a mid 90's era Oldsmobile, 4 Pontiacs from the 2000-2004 years, an 80's Toyota Celica, a 1998 BMW 328i, 2 Cherokees, a Grand Cherokee, a mid 2000s CTS, and my Wrangler.

The Celica lost it's engine and trans by 80k miles, and it was maintained well.  The BMW had constant electrical gremlins (serious gremlins like the ABS deciding to stop working randomly, and the part of the computer controlling that part of the car deciding not to communicate with anything when you tried to read codes), the gas tank tube broke, and the interior had a habit of plastic screw covers popping out all over, plus the displays went out for the radio.

Of all those American cars I owned, the only one with a serious issue was an 85 Celebrity...and it was HORRIBLE.  But it wasn't in great shape when I bought it, so that's on me  ROTFLMAO  My Wrangler has been a handful, but I can't vouch for the maintenance on it by the previous owner.  Heck, my 95 Cherokee was horribly maintained and still ran...poorly until I swapped the engine, but it ran and I didn't need to replace anything.

Heck, I raced the Pontiacs and they never even gave me a little trouble.  What I learned is that it largely comes down to maintenance and care.  Though some are just awful.  VWs, for example, install gremlins from the factory.  They live in your wires and computers.

The one thing you can't base ANY decision off of is the resale value.  Resale value only tells you how much you're going to get screwed when buying a used car because of the name on it.

[/quote]

Getting screwed when you buy used is the truth, brother!  Thumbs Up

Onyx Dragon
Forum User
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 10:00:03 PM »

Getting screwed when you buy used is the truth, brother!  Thumbs Up

It doesn't have to be, though.  You just have to look over the car really well, and be willing to walk away.  My mom's 14 came with a warranty to 100k, even though it's used.  Still looked it over really well.  Already used the warranty to replace the plastic cap on the oil filter.  Too many people either don't look, or they are too impatient, or in the case of my 85 Celebrity, you need a car now.

Bill Staples
1999 XJ
2013 JK
///BHRpowered
Member 2018
Renegade Super Villan
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 02:30:56 AM »

Recall is usually going to be ordered by government - or internal lawyers who make a pretty power point with colored graphs showing how fixing the problem will be cheaper then lawsuits. They may just be trying to say it was a bad batch.

That being said, my newest Jeep is not a reliable car, fair number of gremlins and even worse - programmed failures. Sometimes I'll start the car and it'll just automatically go into off-road 2 and get mad when I drive over 15mph. Hitting the down and up arrows almost 60% of time triggers voice command dialing, shifting into reverse the transmission sometimes forgets it has gears, just shows two dashes and acts like its in neutral, washing the car and spraying front windows somehow triggers the remote unlocking. Starter motor went out at 38k, yes 38k and Jeep wouldn't fix it, claimed it wasn't powertrain. Had to cancel siruis in it because every few weeks when updating channels it would erase all presets (xm only) VERY soft paint. I'm talking like 1960's Italian paint, very cheap and maybe I had a bad one but the number of swirls it'll pick up from hand washing is insane. Poor quality materials on interior, seat started to crack a bit around 25k - by comparison my WJ didn't start cracking until around 140k.

Given quality and direction of company, along with rising cost while trading in Jeep tradition for trendy hipster features I doubt I'd buy another Chrysler project 2009 or newer. Which is weird because they are owned by fiat, who also owns alfa romeo, and I'v got my eye on possibly a new Guilia

WWW Logged

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement I would be unstoppable" - ///BHRpowered
"Watching the two black Millenias disappear over the horizon in front of the helplessly outraced Chevy was a treat for the X-man" - Xedosman
"I am not looking to take over the world like BHR" - cwkann
Onyx Dragon
Forum User
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 10:30:03 AM »

Recall is usually going to be ordered by government - or internal lawyers who make a pretty power point with colored graphs showing how fixing the problem will be cheaper then lawsuits. They may just be trying to say it was a bad batch.

That being said, my newest Jeep is not a reliable car, fair number of gremlins and even worse - programmed failures. Sometimes I'll start the car and it'll just automatically go into off-road 2 and get mad when I drive over 15mph. Hitting the down and up arrows almost 60% of time triggers voice command dialing, shifting into reverse the transmission sometimes forgets it has gears, just shows two dashes and acts like its in neutral, washing the car and spraying front windows somehow triggers the remote unlocking. Starter motor went out at 38k, yes 38k and Jeep wouldn't fix it, claimed it wasn't powertrain. Had to cancel siruis in it because every few weeks when updating channels it would erase all presets (xm only) VERY soft paint. I'm talking like 1960's Italian paint, very cheap and maybe I had a bad one but the number of swirls it'll pick up from hand washing is insane. Poor quality materials on interior, seat started to crack a bit around 25k - by comparison my WJ didn't start cracking until around 140k.

Given quality and direction of company, along with rising cost while trading in Jeep tradition for trendy hipster features I doubt I'd buy another Chrysler project 2009 or newer. Which is weird because they are owned by fiat, who also owns alfa romeo, and I'v got my eye on possibly a new Guilia

I know several car people in Europe.  They view Fiat as a "I need a car now" type of car, and not a serious contender.  They have a nice car or two, but on the whole, it's a car they use to get them through 2-3 years until they can afford a better car.

Bill Staples
1999 XJ
2013 JK
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: