Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
October 17, 2018, 06:24:14 PM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A shocking question...  (Read 1030 times)
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« on: February 13, 2018, 10:00:46 PM »

Bilstein or fox?

2014 Chevy Silverado. Z71 4wd. Almost 100k on the clock. The trucks spent a lot of time in Jersey and the rancho shocks are rusting out and showing the age. I wanna swap shocks but to who's? I run billstein on the jeep and have been pleased. No plans to lift it more then maybe level it if I get airbags for the rear. What say ye internet land? What do you run what models do you like? Please keep in mind I'm not doing coilovers all four corners...

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 07:28:23 AM »

Look on CL or the like for a new set of bilsteins that some one took off to put a lift on.

HighlanderCJ-7
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 08:21:31 AM »

So you aren't swapping the entire strut in the front?  

Bought the shocks and struts for my 2008 off of Amazon as some off-brand OEM replacement.  They're doing fine after 1000 miles.  I'll play the angel on your one shoulder and ask are you really sure you NEED some sort of upgraded shock?  I thought about the Bilstein 5100s when I went to replacement mine but rationalized that for the amount of time I spent towing my Jeep somewhere (roughly 2-3 trips/mo on average) that the OEM would be totally sufficient.  If you're worried about extra tongue weight support in the back or keeping your headlights level, maybe think about an air bag kit.  Come to think of it, I think a set of OEM shocks/struts + a Firestone kit = around the cost of a set of Bilsteins.  

I have a leveling kit on mine, ~2" in the front, and have been very happy with the OEM setup.  I shall be your voice of reason.

Side note: front leveling kits for the Silverado are fun and cool until you need to replace your front shock/strut.  When you go to do that, the additional leveling puck that sits atop the strut doesn't allow enough room to just lift the strut out when you loosen things up.  In order to get enough droop and clearance to remove the strut (and install the new one with the puck), you end up having to also disconnect the upper control/"A" arm from the hub.  This is a PITA to do on your own because now the entire hub in is flopping/hanging by just the brake line unless you support it somehow.  Truck stuff is a lot heavier than Jeep stuff.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:23:32 AM by Jeepsnbuses »

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
dave2002ti
Member 2018
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 08:54:16 AM »

I have always had a good luck with Bilstein.  They are more durable and last longer than the OEM and can take lots of abuse.

Dave Apker

overhead
Club President
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 09:14:41 AM »

Look on CL or the like for a new set of bilsteins that some one took off to put a lift on.

rancho is the standard take off unfortunately.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

overhead
Club President
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 09:16:31 AM »

Bought the shocks and struts for my 2008 off of Amazon as some off-brand OEM replacement.  They're doing fine after 1000 miles.  I'll play the angel on your one shoulder and ask are you really sure you NEED some sort of upgraded shock?  I thought about the Bilstein 5100s when I went to replacement mine but rationalized that for the amount of time I spent towing my Jeep somewhere (roughly 2-3 trips/mo on average) that the OEM would be totally sufficient.  If you're worried about extra tongue weight support in the back or keeping your headlights level, maybe think about an air bag kit.  Come to think of it, I think a set of OEM shocks/struts + a Firestone kit = around the cost of a set of Bilsteins.  

I have a leveling kit on mine, ~2" in the front, and have been very happy with the OEM setup.  I shall be your voice of reason.

Side note: front leveling kits for the Silverado are fun and cool until you need to replace your front shock/strut.  When you go to do that, the additional leveling puck that sits atop the strut doesn't allow enough room to just lift the strut out when you loosen things up.  In order to get enough droop and clearance to remove the strut (and install the new one with the puck), you end up having to also disconnect the upper control/"A" arm from the hub.  This is a PITA to do on your own because now the entire hub in is flopping/hanging by just the brake line unless you support it somehow.  Truck stuff is a lot heavier than Jeep stuff.

haven't figured out if i'm swapping the entire strut or not yet, kinda why I made this. I don't need something super amazing duperty dooo. but I towed almost every weekend last spring, and having a better shock that's not rusting out like my current ones would be well beneficial. I've thought of air bags and or helper bags in the rear, just haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet.

Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 10:44:04 AM »

haven't figured out if i'm swapping the entire strut or not yet, kinda why I made this. I don't need something super amazing duperty dooo. but I towed almost every weekend last spring, and having a better shock that's not rusting out like my current ones would be well beneficial. I've thought of air bags and or helper bags in the rear, just haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet.

Having just done this myself, I would say swap the entire front strut while you're down there.  Then you'll be good to go for another xx,xxx miles.  I honestly don't think Bilsteins would make any real noticeable difference, though. 

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
overhead
Club President
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 10:50:12 AM »

Having just done this myself, I would say swap the entire front strut while you're down there.  Then you'll be good to go for another xx,xxx miles.  I honestly don't think Bilsteins would make any real noticeable difference, though. 

well fox makes a nice strut system... and the rear shocks are nice from them too... hmmm 

overhead
Club President
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 12:14:09 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Performance-2007-2016-Chevrolet-Silverado/dp/B01I2V3XHK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518628281&sr=8-2&keywords=980-24-660

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-985-02-018-Performance-Coil-Over-Shock/dp/B01GRWTU32/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1518628314&sr=1-1&keywords=985-02-018

Or.

https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-33-238319-Shock-Absorber/dp/B00T369HRY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518628385&sr=8-2&keywords=2014+silverado+bilstein+5100

https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-24-238304-24238304-Shock-Absorber/dp/B00T367RUS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518628385&sr=8-1&keywords=2014+silverado+bilstein+5100

Unless yall are finding stuff I'm not. then please post links!

and No. I'm not doing the brand new falcons. WAAAAAYYYY to expensive

overhead
Club President
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 12:37:35 PM »

Let me rephrase that. Way to expensive to not split the purchase up which is the plan

dave2002ti
Member 2018
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 07:10:19 AM »

Let me rephrase that. Way to expensive to not split the purchase up which is the plan

?????  Should be fine. But I don't recommend installing new shocks on the front or rear and running them with the old shocks since it can cause all kinds of interesting handling problems.

Dave Apker

dan58
Forum User
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 09:29:21 AM »

I have a half ton Sierra (09).  I was at 100K miles, so I just went with the Rancho quick lift.  You get the complete assembly, AND a leveling kit.  Add in adjustability, and it's a nice kit.

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: