Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 20, 2019, 01:32:38 PM

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UNLSHD - Blue 2005 LJ  (Read 11062 times)
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #165 on: September 16, 2019, 04:02:07 PM »

Should I look into adding a locker while I still have this all split open? Should I get an air locker (ARB) or a lunch box locker (Spartan/OX/Aussie)?

There are going to be LOTS of opinions on this, Personally for street use, I don't like automatic lockers and really prefer a selectable like the Ox or ARB... But if it's mostly trail and occasional street, an Aussie is a good choice...

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
unleashd
Member 2019
« Reply #166 on: September 16, 2019, 08:13:16 PM »

There are going to be LOTS of opinions on this, Personally for street use, I don't like automatic lockers and really prefer a selectable like the Ox or ARB... But if it's mostly trail and occasional street, an Aussie is a good choice...

This is going to be mix use with more on street riding for atleast the next few years. So, I'll start saving for an ARB Smile

Prakash

o|||||||o
2005  LJ

Quote from: Runner
A 3.73 ratio, or 4.10 for that matter, won't cut it with 32-33" tires and the 42RLE automatic.  4.88 is the sweet spot
RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2019, 05:21:31 AM »

Agreed about the locker in the rear.  For primarily street use, auto-lockers are not a good choice.  LS is fine.  Since they are always being driven (force applied) they are always engaging and disengaging every time you are doing some type of turn.  They will increase your rear tire wear.  They can cause handling problems in the rain and snow that border on being unsafe.  Sure you can get used to it, but in a panic or unforeseen maneuver, that's not a good time to also have to compensate.  For a regular locker, I'm on the fence myself as to which type is "better", either air or electric, and is OX still cable?.  Each have a few pros and cons, but in the end i think it comes down to choice.  I think the biggest issues seem to be the install and the proper routing of the control lines/wires.  If lines/wires are protected, you rarely hear of any issues.  If they are exposed, they are waiting to get snagged on something so they no longer work.  My 8.8 will get one if I find one for the right price (used) meanwhile, the LS is doing fine.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
unleashd
Member 2019
« Reply #168 on: September 17, 2019, 06:04:50 AM »

I'm planning to go with ARB so that I can use the compressor for other onboard air purposes as well.

Prakash

o|||||||o
2005  LJ

A 3.73 ratio, or 4.10 for that matter, won't cut it with 32-33" tires and the 42RLE automatic.  4.88 is the sweet spot
RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #169 on: September 17, 2019, 06:12:57 AM »

Not sure what brand requires what, however, some lockers require the pressure to be regulated down to about 5 lbs.  I think others might be 15-lbs and some higher?  I'm sure Zuke or Runner would know this.  I think some people still get a dedicated pump just for the locker.  Perhaps it's easier?    My own opinion is a pump that only makes about 5-lbs can't really hurt the locker by a blown (or mis-adjusted) regulator so I would prefer a dedicated pump.  Sounds like you have time to plan anyway.....

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
unleashd
Member 2019
« Reply #170 on: September 17, 2019, 06:15:09 AM »

Not sure what brand requires what, however, some lockers require the pressure to be regulated down to about 5 lbs.  I think others might be 15-lbs and some higher?  I'm sure Zuke or Runner would know this.  I think some people still get a dedicated pump just for the locker.  Perhaps it's easier?    My own opinion is a pump that only makes about 5-lbs can't really hurt the locker by a blown (or mis-adjusted) regulator so I would prefer a dedicated pump.  Sounds like you have time to plan anyway.....

Lots of time Very Happy I remember reading about the low pressure requirement in Runner's posts.

After running the trails at The Cove last weekend, the interior was pretty dusty. Started cleaning it this past weekend. The fine dust had gotten into every nook and cranny. The aftermath of all the cleaning - found some surface rust building on the tub. So, wire wheeled it, wiped it down and then sprayed the interior with some rustoleum truck bedliner. Took 2 coats to get it even.

I started cleaning the undercarriage and felt overwhelmed after about 30 minutes  Shocked Wondering if I should take it to a shop to have the undercarriage sprayed or attempt to DIY.

Prakash

o|||||||o
2005  LJ

RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2019, 06:24:27 AM »

Dang!  It should be clean when you are done.  You make not like the price for someone to do the under carriage.  It can be very time consuming also.

Were you at the Cove a few days ago or the weekend before?  The Goats were at the Main Summer Jambo or whatever it was called.  I got up there Friday night and watched some of the mud bog mayhem and left Saturday evening after wheeling (had a b-day party to get back to for a 1 yo. on Sunday).  I agree it was horrendously dusty in camp.  It was still better than a weekend of non-stop rain though.

- Frank
unleashd
Member 2019
« Reply #172 on: September 17, 2019, 06:25:48 AM »

Yes. I was at the Jambo all Saturday !!

Prakash

o|||||||o
2005  LJ

zuke
Forum User
« Reply #173 on: September 17, 2019, 06:44:02 AM »

Yeah, it was super dusty at the Cove for Main Jambo... I don't recall it ever being quite that bad in the past, and I've been to most every event in the last 8 years!

The ARB and OX both use relatively high pressure, 80~120 PSI. Stock Rubi lockers run at 5~6 PSI. Those are the only Air lockers I'm familar with, though I'm sure there are others like the Yukon Zip Locker, but I know nothing about them.

OX lockers can be had with cable, Electric or Air actuators... Same locker, different control hardware.

I've also used an Eaton E-locker once, in a Ford 8.8, Was way less than impressed, I destroyed the internals 3 times before I gave up and welded it up into a spool Smile , My understanding is the 8.8 was the original design, and they never updated it, and that the D30 and 44 designs are now much better and reliable, But I'll personnaly never buy another e-locker.

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #174 on: September 17, 2019, 07:50:56 AM »

It's no surprise I'm a huge fan of the simplicity of the stock 5 PSI driven Rubicon lockers.  The only real weak spot, from my perspective, is the rear Torsen type limited slip.  This can be mitigated off road by simply running the rear locker all the time, which is what I do.  That said, parts for stock systems are getting very, very difficult to find, which isn't a good thing.  If I were getting a locker today, it would be either an ARB or Eaton E Locker.  Although it's true that the old versions of the E lockers had problems, this was largely due to human error in the TJ dana 44s.  Primarily, you're supposed to be completely stopped when engaging them.  Any movement at all would shear the locking pins and wreak havoc on the internals. 

On the flip side, there's the ARB.  It's rugged, reliable, and parts are easy to source.  The only issue I've ever had with ARBs has been blown airlines (largely due to the pressure), but I don't view this as a deterrent.  Regardless of which one you pick, a selectable locker is the way to go.  Bottom line once you go selactable locker, you won't want to be without one!         

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: