Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
April 23, 2019, 12:58:25 AM

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Silver Bullet - resurrection of a TJ  (Read 16288 times)
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #240 on: February 22, 2019, 09:36:46 AM »

I replaced the ball joints on my Daughters TJ and left the worn tires and bad alignment. (trying to get it home from FL) The death wobble returned with a vengeance when I hit GA, it literally threw me off the road. I stopped in GA and had it aligned and put two new tires on it. It was smooth all the way home after that. So I would say little things add up to big things and crappy roads draw it out.

HighlanderCJ-7
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #241 on: February 22, 2019, 09:42:07 AM »

Also I would consider spot welding a tab into the crease of the body and using a come along to a tree to pull that hard line (the heavy V seen from the under side) Body shops will also weld a mud monkey ton of studs in a line and use a frame machine with a clamp biting all the studs at once to pull such a huge crease. This would be the poor mans method. Of course if you buy a stud gun and the clamp, you could do the same with a come along.

HighlanderCJ-7
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #242 on: February 22, 2019, 09:56:16 AM »

I replaced the ball joints on my Daughters TJ and left the worn tires and bad alignment. (trying to get it home from FL) The death wobble returned with a vengeance when I hit GA, it literally threw me off the road. I stopped in GA and had it aligned and put two new tires on it. It was smooth all the way home after that. So I would say little things add up to big things and crappy roads draw it out.

Yeah, going to start with another front end inspection, balance the wheels, and replace the damper and go from there.  I've read elsewhere that the damper tends to mask it, but it really seems like it only comes out if I'm moving at speeds above 40, hit some rough or bouncy pavement, AND am going through a long turn.  I'm close to getting it ironed out.

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #243 on: February 22, 2019, 02:23:45 PM »

When I first got mine the passenger side needed both ball joints and the tie rod end.  The driver's side was fine.  I added a new inexpensive stabilizer at that time too, it was providing no resistance.  The stabilizer will only mask your DW until it gets worse.  Get an assistant and have then rapidly wiggle the steering wheel while you're looking for movement on any joint - look at ALL of them a few times.  Plenty of videos and instructions on the net - good luck and take your time.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #244 on: February 22, 2019, 03:17:10 PM »

When I first got mine the passenger side needed both ball joints and the tie rod end.  The driver's side was fine.  I added a new inexpensive stabilizer at that time too, it was providing no resistance.  The stabilizer will only mask your DW until it gets worse.  Get an assistant and have then rapidly wiggle the steering wheel while you're looking for movement on any joint - look at ALL of them a few times.  Plenty of videos and instructions on the net - good luck and take your time.

So, I think the stabilizer actually turned out to be part or most of the problem.  Not only was mine providing no resistance, but the frame-end of the stabilizer itself had actually wallowed out pretty badly and was allowing that additional anchor point for the steering to act all loosey-goosey.  I don't remember that being a problem when I put everything together last year, but there's also a chance I took the lazy "eh, it's just a steering stabilizer" approach.  I probably took this approach 3-4 times last year with that stabilizer. When I was shaking the wheels at 3 and 9 I felt some play and knocking, and sure enough it was right there at the frame end of the stabilizer.  Feels like it should, now.

- Greased upper ball joints because I forgot about them the other day
- Replaced a blown out third brake light bulb
- Bent back a lower control arm frame bracket which had been bent from the beginning

Also fixed some scraping brakes.  I've been driving it around for the past 7-10 days and there's been this obnoxious scraping noise coming from the brakes.  It came and went and I was having a bear of a time finding it.  I think from the beginning these backing plates on my front axle have been bent ever so slightly in one lower window of the knuckle.  And even weirder, it happened on both sides.  Fixed now.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #245 on: February 22, 2019, 03:28:09 PM »

What chu talkin' about Willis?  The stabilizer (looks like a shock) connects to the axle bracket and the Drag link.  Are you meaning track bar?  Track bars have a habit of being loose at the axle end.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #246 on: February 22, 2019, 04:37:33 PM »

What chu talkin' about Willis?  The stabilizer (looks like a shock) connects to the axle bracket and the Drag link.  Are you meaning track bar?  Track bars have a habit of being loose at the axle end.

Shoot! My fault. What I meant was that the **axle-end** of the steering stabilizer was wallowed out. Thanks for the correction

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #247 on: February 25, 2019, 05:28:23 PM »

A check engine light reared its head yesterday...a P0455 for a large evap leak.  This is the second time it's come up, and typically appears if the Jeep is started after it has been sitting for a while and is left to idle.  Not too familiar with these...anyone know of a good place to start?  Common failure points that could be responsible for this leak?

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #248 on: February 26, 2019, 06:15:04 AM »

The best way is to smoke test the system, but most people don't have a smoke machine at home.  Knowing that, then it's a matter of guessing. Have you replaced the gas cap?  If that's good try checking all your vacuum hoses and connections. Given your vehicle sat outside for a long time I've seen many cases of mice chewing through the plastic lines or rubber hoses.  Since you have a 2002 this is much easier, because the canister is under the hood. Next I'd look at the purge solenoid.

Seriously though, save yourself some aggravation and build a smoke machine.  There are many ways to do this cheaply!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhNQiIRsCCk

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sport, 2003 TJ Rubicon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #249 on: February 26, 2019, 07:06:52 AM »

Indeed, I need to smoke test my Ram too.

HighlanderCJ-7
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #250 on: February 26, 2019, 08:14:45 AM »

The best way is to smoke test the system, but most people don't have a smoke machine at home.  Knowing that, then it's a matter of guessing. Have you replaced the gas cap?  If that's good try checking all your vacuum hoses and connections. Given your vehicle sat outside for a long time I've seen many cases of mice chewing through the plastic lines or rubber hoses.  Since you have a 2002 this is much easier, because the canister is under the hood. Next I'd look at the purge solenoid.

Seriously though, save yourself some aggravation and build a smoke machine.  There are many ways to do this cheaply!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhNQiIRsCCk

Aha, this is awesome.  I really have no room in my garage to keep a smoke machine so a cheap and disposable option might be the way to go. I'm out of town as of tonight but I'll post some images of my homebrew smoke machine when I get back.

I did check the gas cap and quickly glanced under the hood last night but nothing terribly obvious stood out.  Unless the seal of the gas cap itself is bad somehow.  I agree that more than likely something chewed through a line, having been sitting in the woods for a while.

I did however find that my IAT sensor was nearly broken off.  Adding that to the list.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #251 on: February 26, 2019, 03:16:33 PM »

As could probably be expected, Adam, I have a home made smoke machine you're welcome to borrow.... you really need to move down to Stafford, your wife can commute! (Plea; If your wife now wants to kill me, don't show her where my shop is!)

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #252 on: February 26, 2019, 11:22:23 PM »

As could probably be expected, Adam, I have a home made smoke machine you're welcome to borrow.... you really need to move down to Stafford, your wife can commute! (Plea; If your wife now wants to kill me, don't show her where my shop is!)

Of course you have a homemade smoke machine, John...

I'm not sure which my wife would hate more, the commute, or me using her wagon (instead of a rental car, which have been my go-to John parts runners) to move spare Jeep parts around.  Will a D44 fit in the back of a 2008 Outback?  I'm thinking yes

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #253 on: February 27, 2019, 05:23:18 PM »

Of course you have a homemade smoke machine, John...

I'm not sure which my wife would hate more, the commute, or me using her wagon (instead of a rental car, which have been my go-to John parts runners) to move spare Jeep parts around.  Will a D44 fit in the back of a 2008 Outback?  I'm thinking yes

I've hauled a Scout II D44 in the back of a Legacy Wagon, so I'm guessing a TJ 44 will fit in an Outback Easily!

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #254 on: March 25, 2019, 02:47:19 PM »

Been lazy and haven't touched this thing in a couple weeks, but nice weather yesterday encouraged me to get moving on it again.  Will need to be ready, at least in part, for S & S.  Had some time today during lunch to pop down to the garage and replace the rear shocks, and did a little more adjustment of the front end alignment.  Behold: factory OEM 2002 Jeep TJ rear shocks...

I picked up some cheapo Chinese shocks to replace these for the time being and get it through inspection.  One of the rear shocks was unsurprisingly toast and needed to be replaced.  Definitely feels firmer in the rear now and looks like it's sitting a tad bit higher, we'll see how it settles over the next couple days.  On another note, after I parked it in the lot I could really see this slight lean it appears to have (below).  I've noticed this before and thought the new shocks would help, but it looks like it hasn't changed much.  The only suspension items that haven't been either replaced or checked out closely are the springs.  To the TJphiles out there, could this be anything BUT a sagging coil spring?

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: