Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
July 17, 2018, 12:14:26 PM

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Silver Bullet - resurrection of a TJ  (Read 3921 times)
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2018, 06:44:08 AM »

It really IS looking better every time. Canít wait to see it on the road.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
Davetopay
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2018, 09:19:55 AM »

I think I saw a thing, but I don't know what thing I thought I saw.
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2018, 12:12:51 PM »

Think Iíve figured out my front driveshaft situation. I couldíve sworn that the threads for the front driveshaft U-joint straps was 1/4-28. I was using my handy dandy Matco tap and die kit but the 1/4-28 tap just wasnít doing it. It would thread through and kinda-sorta felt like it was doing its job, but I would end up encountering more resistance than I was comfortable with when I went to try and thread the bolt it after it. I broke a strap bolt off in a yoke on my XJ a couple years ago and it really wasnít a fun experience...makes me overly cautious now. Probably a good thing.

Got fed up and thought maybe my taps were worn, and I think I was right. Went to Advance and confirmed that the bolt is definitely 100% a 1/4-28 thread. The bolt threaded into the sampler holes at the store like butter, but the tap just sort of slipped in and wasnít grabbing. Guess itís been used well. Unfortunately Advance, Autozone, Pep Boys, and Home Depot all donít carry a 1/4-28 tap. They each have 1/4-20, then jump to 5/16-18. I really, really didnít want to have to drill and re-thread the yoke. NAPA to the rescue! Ordered a $3.49 1/4-28 tap, and paid $11 extra for a tap driver. Should be here in an hour-ish and hopefully Iíll be good to go.

In the meantime, replaced the battery lead ends, replaced the spark plugs, and drained/filled front and rear diffs. Also was a bit bummed to see that my passenger rear brake appears to be leaking fluid. Hopefully just the wheel cylinder. Another fix for another day.

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2018, 04:20:35 PM »

Hit a bit of a roadblock with the whole wheel cylinder thing.  It was a bit more than the wheel cylinder...

After defeating 7 years of rust that held the drum on, I found a total mess on the inside. Several bits and pieces of hardware rolling around freely inside the drum, and the shoes were toast...looked like a rock or something had torn up the liner.  After pulling everything off I found a severely jacked-up wheel cylinder. 

I'm not quite sure how something like this would happen.  Are the backing plates for these TJ brakes normally bent a little bit like this one?  It looks like some sort of obstruction or damage caused the wheel cylinder to be pressed in and clocked towards the front of the Jeep.  It's a bit tricky to see but in the pic below is the back of the bent backing plate...

And this is the opposite side, which looks to me like it's correct. 

In the image of the bent plate, the wheel cylinder mounting bolt on the right is actually pressed in so far and in such a way that I can't get a socket on the head of the bolt.  Anyone ever seen this before?  Any suggestions on solutions?  I figure I have the following options:

A) Try to manhandle and bend the backing plate back into the position it should be in.  No guarantees that I'll gain access to the head of that one bolt, and I also think this would make re-installing the drum hardware more difficult depending on where mounting holes end up.  Would be imprecise.

B) Replace the backing plate.  I need to service the D35 anyways so this wouldn't be terribly difficult.  Plus the backing plate mounting nuts look clean, rust-free, and ready to come off.  Anyone know where I could find one?  Doesn't seem to have a part number, may need to find some used part on eBay or the forums.

C) Remove the backing plate setup altogether and do a disc brake conversion???

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2018, 04:43:31 PM »

I'd go option C, but if you need it I've got a drum rebuild kit around here somewhere I'll toss in for you tomorrow.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2018, 06:21:16 PM »

I'd go option C, but if you need it I've got a drum rebuild kit around here somewhere I'll toss in for you tomorrow.

Some initial research has me leaning towards sticking with the drums for now so I may take you up on that offer.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2018, 06:32:25 PM »

With a rear 35. Fix it for now and save to do an 8.8 or rear 44 with disk brakes. It's stupid how expensive it is to do disks on a 35.

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2018, 08:14:41 PM »

With a rear 35. Fix it for now and save to do an 8.8 or rear 44 with disk brakes. It's stupid how expensive it is to do disks on a 35.

I like this idea. Seems like the cost wouldnít be super exorbitant unless Iím buying a custom manufactured kit, but I donít think the extra effort would be worth it for something that will get tossed in the next year or two.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2018, 10:27:44 PM »

Scott has a rear 44. 3.73 gears $800 with brakes. Cheapest kit I've found for the conversion is $600 plus labor..... $200 means I don't need after market axle shafts for a long freaking while

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2018, 10:58:17 PM »

Scott has a rear 44. 3.73 gears $800 with brakes. Cheapest kit I've found for the conversion is $600 plus labor..... $200 means I don't need after market axle shafts for a long freaking while

$600 for the conversion kit sounds about right based on what I found online. It looked like the easier/cheaper option would actually be to pull the dust shield and hardware from a D35 ZJ and move it over. Direct fit, but I think more effort than I want to put in for a C-clip 35 that wonít be around forever.

Iím down in NC for work and think I have a guy nearby who will sell me a pair of D35 dust shields for $50. Unless I come across a better deal in the next day or two Iíll buy those, clean and replace the other brake hardware, install new shoes and drums, and be done with it.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2018, 06:23:01 AM »

I have a brand new master cylinder for a D35 if you need it.  I swapped to an 8.8 so I will never it.  I'm in Lorton.  Swing by on your way home.  I'm just off I-95.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2018, 06:48:00 AM »

I have a brand new master cylinder for a D35 if you need it.  I swapped to an 8.8 so I will never it.  I'm in Lorton.  Swing by on your way home.  I'm just off I-95.

A brand new wheel cylinder?  Just the one?  I will take whatever D35 hardware I can get.  I've gotten over feeling any sort of guilt for taking this stuff off people's hands because it would just be collecting dust forever, otherwise.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2018, 07:01:52 AM »

I will take whatever D35 hardware I can get. 

I've got a whole D35 out of a 98TJ, complete drum to drum, with 3.73 gears, sitting in my shop, nothing wrong with it. Feel free to come take it away!

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
1990 SJ Waggy
1989 XJ Cherocar
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2018, 07:07:53 AM »

I will take whatever D35 hardware I can get. 

I've got a whole D35 out of a 98TJ, complete drum to drum, with 3.73 gears, sitting in my shop, nothing wrong with it. Feel free to come take it away!

Alright, PM'd.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2018, 07:08:31 AM »

Yes, free cylinder if you want.  Looks like Zuke's got a great offer for you too.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: