Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
July 17, 2018, 12:16:49 PM

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Silver Bullet - resurrection of a TJ  (Read 3926 times)
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2018, 06:46:14 AM »

You went to Walmart didn't you!

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
JKrazy
Member 2018
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2018, 01:36:12 PM »

Awesome find!  Awesome build.  I wish I had the knowledge and tools to purchase and build a "project" Jeep!

Grab a Wrench! Cheers

Mods, they never end.  My rig needs a sponsor!  Smile
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2018, 02:20:36 PM »

You went to Walmart didn't you!

Lowes! And yes. As I told Zuke, the measures we go to in order to avoid losing time in traffic...

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2018, 06:58:10 PM »

Mega-noob question, but can anyone direct me to where I can find the paint code on my TJ? Or just tell me what color this is? I知 betting it痴 either bright silver metallic or silverstone metallic but swear I can稚 find the barcode tag anywhere. Not in the typical door sill location?

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2018, 07:08:47 PM »

It's not the silver. IMHO it looks better it is the more gun metal grey color. My Dads was the same and he had it painted to match the silver of the 05 ruby doors he bought. I didn't like that as much as the original color. Try looking under the hood for the build codes. I think it's:

Silverstone Metallic S5 2000-2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ

HighlanderCJ-7
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2018, 07:14:36 PM »

It's not the silver. IMHO it looks better it is the more gun metal grey color. My Dads was the same and he had it painted to match the silver of the 05 ruby doors he bought. I didn't like that as much as the original color. Try looking under the hood for the build codes. I think it's:

Silverstone Metallic S5 2000-2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I was also leaning more towards the silverstone metallic. I値l check the hood.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2018, 09:16:49 PM »

If you go to this page;

https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/

and put in the jeeps VIN code, It gives you the jeeps original build sheet, which has the color name(But not the paint code).

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
1990 SJ Waggy
1989 XJ Cherocar
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2018, 05:54:30 AM »

If you go to this page;

https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/

and put in the jeeps VIN code, It gives you the jeeps original build sheet, which has the color name(But not the paint code).

There it is.  I already have this build sheet but must have scrolled right past that by mistake. Thanks

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2018, 07:19:02 AM »

I bought a can of this stuff and it matched my paint perfectly.  They go off the paint name too, instead of the color number since you already have that info...  http://a.co/8TnJ0bf

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2018, 07:53:31 AM »

I'm actually going with the stuff from these guys: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ . I used it a few years back on my CJ and it worked pretty well.  The touch up paint in the pic below starts in the center of the rocker beneath the door and goes back to the rear of the Jeep.  Midway in the rocker forward is factory paint.  It blended extremely well I think, and I didn't use any sort of clear coat in that case (plan to use it this time).  It's pricey at around $19/can but should do the trick.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2018, 04:10:03 PM »

Started to work on the hood prep today.  Lots of work.  More work than expected.  At first glance the hood looks OK at best, but the small little pieces of surface rust here and there proved to be a real bear to iron out.  I think I did a pretty good job and I can still see some peeking out here and there as I'm laying down primer. 

(pre-sanding)

You can see all the little surface spots.  Not that deep, but on a big flat piece like a hood I knew they were going to stick out unless I really sanded them down.  I started at it and after at least an hour, I wiped the thing down.  I could still feel a bunch of small divets all over the place, which annoyed me.  That was at this point:

I kept telling myself that this was really only going to look decent if I prepped as best I could, so I kicked the grit on the sander back down a notch and went at it again despite not wanting to.  At this point I basically had to focus on little individual spots, or groups of spots, one at a time, with the sanding disc at kind of an angle to maximize direct pressure and get as much off as I could.  I pretty much went across 2/3 of the hood in little 3" x 3" sections.  I'd press and sand down the little sections then run my hand over them until they were smooth and glass-like.  After at least another hour I swept it off with a broom and sprayed it down.  It cleaned up a lot and I think that additional lengthy run-through with the sander will pay off.  Now that I've begun to lay down some primer I can still see some tiny spots here and there but I'll get over it.  After I lay down a few more layers of primer, then the layers of base coat, then some top gloss, hopefully they will disappear a little more.  After additional sanding:

Lesson learned: hoods are huge. Much bigger than I thought.  I am chewing through primer like crazy and am going to run out to grab more in a few minutes.  I almost definitely didn't buy enough base coat to cover this hood, let alone the fenders.  In hindsight, I should have waited and bought someone else's used silver hood.  This is almost definitely more work than it's worth, but I keep reminding myself that I'm probably building character or something. More pics to come. 

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2018, 09:04:16 PM »

Made some more progress this afternoon and things are looking better. I may actually be able to sand down the primer in any areas that bother me to really smooth it out before the base coat comes out. Streaky from the spray gun in a few spots, but I知 also putting more primer in areas that are going to see more road rash and rocks than others...spots like the dip from the top of the hood down to where it meets the grille, and the front lip that surrounds the top of the grille itself. I知 feeling a little better about it now but still plan to put a few more coats of primer down tomorrow.

I知 without a doubt going to need gobs of base coat for this hood, however it should grab and hold nicely.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2018, 06:22:40 AM »

I am chewing through primer like crazy and am going to run out to grab more in a few minutes. 

Looking pretty good!

This is why I usually buy at least a quart (sometimes 2) of "Primer surfacer" from Mattos or some other paint supply place instead of aerosol cans.  They don't really go far and don't have that much cellulose fiber in them for building up and filling in.  When you think you have sanded enough, you can then lay a heavy coat on, and then use a large flat sander so you just hit the high spots.  When you are satisfied, you do it again.  Then you may even decide to do it again.  Looks like you are doing pretty well - its definitely a learning experience.

You will probably get by with a quart of color and a quart of clear.  Don't forget any additives you may wish to add (like hardener, reducer, UV, etc.).  Don't you want to remove the bumpers and nozzles from the hood?

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2018, 09:39:55 AM »

I am chewing through primer like crazy and am going to run out to grab more in a few minutes. 

Looking pretty good!

This is why I usually buy at least a quart (sometimes 2) of "Primer surfacer" from Mattos or some other paint supply place instead of aerosol cans.  They don't really go far and don't have that much cellulose fiber in them for building up and filling in.  When you think you have sanded enough, you can then lay a heavy coat on, and then use a large flat sander so you just hit the high spots.  When you are satisfied, you do it again.  Then you may even decide to do it again.  Looks like you are doing pretty well - its definitely a learning experience.

You will probably get by with a quart of color and a quart of clear.  Don't forget any additives you may wish to add (like hardener, reducer, UV, etc.).  Don't you want to remove the bumpers and nozzles from the hood?

Yeah, it's on the to-do list for today.  At the time when I started this it was starting to downpour outside and the tool I needed was inside my truck.  Really just my laziness getting the better of me.  I'll be popping them out today.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2018, 06:22:48 AM »

Heading to MD to work on it today.  My OEM paint hasn't been delivered yet, so this weekend will be all mechanical once again.  To-do list:

- install the new front sway bar links with disconnect pins
- install shift bezel to keep the boot in place
- remove brake backing plates and any other useful drum brake hardware from the Zuke D35
- rebuild the currently installed Dana 35 with new shoes, cylinders, hardware
- refill rear end
- bleed brakes
- re-tap the front yoke and re-install the front shaft

Then maybe take it for a drive.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: