Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
October 20, 2018, 06:02:36 PM

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Silver Bullet - resurrection of a TJ  (Read 6074 times)
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2018, 08:50:03 PM »

The Jeep is starting to fight back. Got myself into a pretty solid pickle tonight...

Pulled the C-clips and shafts from Zukeís donor D35 with no issues. Removed the backing plates and all was going great. Went to do the same to mine to move the backing plates over and this happened:

Somehow the cross pin bolt just...sheared right off. Iím not really sure how this happened and donít think itís a fault of my own. Maybe it spent all these years sitting in the carrier side that was suspended out of the oil? Could it even deteriorate or rust in conditions like that? I used a 1/4Ē drive wrench and the right size socket; definitely didnít put too much power onto it. Funny thing is it felt like it broke pretty much as soon as I turned it.

In the pic above, Iíve already tried to chisel and tap what remains around to thread it out. Itís going, but itís painstakingly slow. Iím lucky to get 1/16 of a turn at best. Before I get frustrated and do something stupid, anyone have any clever ideas or suggestions? Would really prefer to use this axle and not swap in the 3.73-geared D35 if I donít have to. At this point I canít even pull the carrier itself out to work on this on a bench because the cross pin prevents me from pulling the axle shafts.

In my book I consider this a tricky one. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2018, 09:15:23 PM »

I'd bet that it was torqued in too tight previosly, and the crack was just waiting for you.... Drill a small hole and use an easy out if you can, but it's probably going to be slow going no matter how you do it....

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2018, 09:50:16 PM »

At that point. Do the axle swap. You're gonna chase a headache for however long you're gonna put into it. If you've bought em swap em

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2018, 07:38:52 AM »

I got it out.

Went out and bought a Dremel, then bought a diamond tip engraving point for it. Carved a channel in the center that would accommodate a flathead screwdriver, then drilled into it again with a cobalt bit. Doing both of those things seemed to fracture the integrity of the screw enough to allow me to snag it with a tiny pair of needle nose pliers and spin it out. Thank the Jeep gods.

Then I could finally remove these backing plates! And holy moly were they jacked. I thought the one on the passengerís side was bad. Check out driver:

And then both bad plates compared to a good one (top). Whatever happened to these things, theyíve lived a hard life. I prompt retired them to the garbage bin.

Backing plates, brake lines, and wheel cylinders are on. Axle is back together but I just ran out of time fighting that cross pin screw. Feels like I got next to nothing done but at least that screw is out.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2018, 07:58:21 AM »

Great googly moogly, what in the world ate the plates up like that. Shocked

As for the pin I have seen that several times on the turdy 5. I have drilled and tapped them, and used a punch as you did. Fortunately enough they are usually loose after they snap and are easy enough to work with. Some of them do not even have a bolt they used a roll pin. Glad you were able to salvage it.

HighlanderCJ-7
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2018, 10:23:56 AM »

Yeah the plates were really destroyed. I had only pulled the passenger brake apart and initially thought it was in the worst shape. Driverís side didnít disappoint! The side-by-side comparo with the good backing plate is pretty amazing.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2018, 10:47:41 AM »

I'm amazed the thing even still rolled!

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2018, 07:48:31 PM »

Checked off some crucial to-dos this afternoon. Refilled the rear, installed and adjusted all new rear drum hardware while cursing up a storm, re-tapped the threads in the yoke of the front end, and installed the front sway bar end links. Oh, and popped in a shifter boot shroud! No more floppy loose boot.

Iíve been neglecting an important item...a battery. I pretty much always have to jump this thing and itís taken a toll on the battery (though itís the old one out of my XJ). Thatíll be next along with a brake bleed, then itís on to body work.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2018, 02:59:23 PM »

Painted the hood today. Results were...meh. Body work and paint/prep is difficult and the hood is much bigger than it looks when youíre doing the work. Basically what Iíve ended up with is instead of a black beat-up hood, I now have a silver beat-up hood. Haha. One of these days Iíll probably come across an identical-ish colored hood on Craigslist and jump on it. Oh well.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2018, 06:57:03 AM »

Send a note to Scott and Damien.  They part out all the time and would probably call you as soon as they have one.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2018, 03:33:37 PM »

Going to try malleting-out my outgoing hood as well. It isnít worth anything to me at this point so I figure itís worth a shot.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 12:43:45 PM by Jeepsnbuses »

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2018, 12:57:31 PM »

Finally got my hands on this again for a few hours today. Wedding planning and attending other peoplesí weddings for the past four weeks has taken all my Jeep time away.

Did some final brake adjustments and bled the system. I also noticed that the rear diff appeared to be seeping more than I would like, so I evacuated the very new fluid, cleaned both surfaces off a little better, and refilled. Done. Replaced the hood with the used one I recently painted. Itís far from perfect but actually looks better than expected. It isnít dented like the old one, so Iíve got that going for me. Pulled all the seats out and vacuumed/washed the floor. Years of outdoors and weathering had built up in there so it was necessary. Went over the front end again and torqued down all the nuts, end links, shocks, control arms.

TOOK IT ON THE ROAD! For the first time i took it around the neighborhood. Needs a very obvious alignment but otherwise it felt like how youíd expect a 70,000 mile Jeep to feel. Went through 4 of the 5 gears and it really felt great.

After a few hard-ish stops to check the brakes, the both fronts started smoking. Got home, pulled the wheels off to cool them down. From what I could tell, the calipers didnít look to be seized and everything looked pretty normal. Iíve done plenty of brakes in my life, cleaned off the oils, pads in correctly, etc. Am I missing anything? Maybe they just need to be bedded in and driven a little farther for mfr coatings to burn off? I honestly canít think of anything I missed and donít think the calipers are stuck. To test, Iíll pull the calipers off and have the fiancť hit the brakes to see how they do, but i specifically checked their condition when I did the front brakes a few weeks ago and they looked fine. Itís also worth noting that while I was driving it around it didnít feel like either brake was dragging. Power was good and it wasnít tugging to either side.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2018, 01:04:20 PM »

Any smell associated with the brake smoke? Could just be some oils on there burning off like you mentioned.  Might be worth another test drive to see if it happens again and for any obvious pad wear.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2018, 01:43:41 PM »

Any smell associated with the brake smoke? Could just be some oils on there burning off like you mentioned.  Might be worth another test drive to see if it happens again and for any obvious pad wear.

See, thatís what I was thinking too. Especially since there wasnít any pulling feel to one side or another while i was off and on the brakes on that test drive. When I initially did the brakes weeks and weeks ago, I never had a chance to actually drive it or work them in...come to think of it that was probably back in March. Long time ago. Iíll drive it around again and see what happens.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2018, 06:49:26 AM »

Were these brand new disks?  If so, did you clean off the coating they are shipped with?  New pads will still have the fresh paint on them and will smell for the first few days until it is baked/burned on.  As for smoke, I can't say I've seen any after just a simple pad replacement.  I'd say drive it NORMAL and see if anything shows up.  No pulling to either side probably means it is just the paint on them burning off.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: