Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
August 23, 2019, 04:46:38 PM

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Silver Bullet - resurrection of a TJ  (Read 26296 times)
RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #285 on: April 15, 2019, 09:22:22 AM »

As for the angle of the twist - imagine if OEM is at 12 o'clock, I twisted mine to about 1 to 1:30.  You can also scrape them with an Exacto to maybe remove any corrosion.  I did this too.  Three years and no issues so far except for the occasional smack on the dash.  When I got it I had to smack it daily multiple times.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #286 on: April 15, 2019, 09:35:15 AM »

As for the angle of the twist - imagine if OEM is at 12 o'clock, I twisted mine to about 1 to 1:30.  You can also scrape them with an Exacto to maybe remove any corrosion.  I did this too.  Three years and no issues so far except for the occasional smack on the dash.  When I got it I had to smack it daily multiple times.

Looks like that service bulletin was for the very early TJs, pre-2000.  Just got off the phone with Farrish parts and they didn't mention that bulletin for my particular MY (they mentioned 2 others that are still outstanding, so I assume this also would've come up). 

I will go and give them a bump or two but I didn't see any major corrosion or wear on the pins themselves.  Just given the number of years that this spent parked in a forest and fairly exposed to weather, I wonder if some water made its way into the cluster and created corrosion on the board itself.

By pure happenstance I found a 73k mile instrument cluster on eBay, but it's a whopping $225. If I can 100% confirm that my cluster is bad I would probably buy it to save myself the ODO discrepancy issues down the line.  Key here is confirming that the cluster is indeed the issue.

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #287 on: May 02, 2019, 08:13:52 AM »

Been a crazy few weeks of work travel for me and haven't touched this thing...shame too, since the weather's been nice. 

I'll be home Friday, so I ponied up and ordered that used 73k mile gauge cluster.  At this point I cannot fathom what else it could be other than a bad solder or circuit in the printed board of the cluster, and I'm not nearly well-versed enough in the aged art of soldering to fix that.  Offered $50 less than the posting and the guy accepted, so I've got that going for me.  We'll see if that does the trick. 

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #288 on: May 09, 2019, 12:26:56 PM »

OK, after spending a few days this week in NY for work, got home and was able to test my new-to-me instrument cluster.  SUCCESS.  Thrilled to see that high beam light on, and pleased that this validates all my suspicions.

Interestingly, I now have what appears to be a SKI/SKIM light on.  My guess is this portion of the printed board in the original cluster had also failed.  The light looks like this...

But, the Jeep also starts and runs.  Can I just leave this?  Or will it fail inspection for this?

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #289 on: May 09, 2019, 12:33:34 PM »

Assuming you have a black key and don't have the chipped key, I would say to just remove the bulb and tape over the hole.  My '98 does not have that bulb, but I see it embossed on the cluster if you look hard.  If you do have a chipped key, that may be something the dealer has to clear or program (or maybe there's a how-to on Google somewhere).

An inspector may let you slide on that if he knows it is just for the key.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #290 on: May 09, 2019, 12:40:14 PM »

Assuming you have a black key and don't have the chipped key, I would say to just remove the bulb and tape over the hole.  My '98 does not have that bulb, but I see it embossed on the cluster if you look hard.  If you do have a chipped key, that may be something the dealer has to clear or program (or maybe there's a how-to on Google somewhere).

So I actually just called the same inspector and he said they wouldn't fail me for it.  They look for a handful of safety-related lights and indicators on the dash, but that is not one of them.  I have the dealer key as well, but the lock cylinder that is currently in the column matches the black key.  The dealer/oem key opens the doors.  Yes, two keys for one Jeep.  It's been lower on my to-do list. 

Going to go for inspection again in a day or two.  Cross those fingers, folks.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #291 on: May 09, 2019, 12:53:29 PM »

So I actually just called the same inspector and he said they wouldn't fail me for it.  They look for a handful of safety-related lights and indicators on the dash, but that is not one of them.  I have the dealer key as well, but the lock cylinder that is currently in the column matches the black key.  The dealer/oem key opens the doors.  Yes, two keys for one Jeep.  It's been lower on my to-do list. 

Going to go for inspection again in a day or two.  Cross those fingers, folks.

so the keying replacement is actually super. Well I won't say easy. But I will say don't try it yourself without two cylinders. I am more than happy to do it with/for you if you get the part. It's cheap off rockauto $30. But MAN they ought to sell it in a 2 pack...

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #292 on: May 13, 2019, 11:01:43 AM »

For posterity:

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #293 on: May 13, 2019, 01:16:41 PM »

Yay!

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #294 on: May 13, 2019, 07:59:04 PM »

For posterity:

Such a good feeling.  Congrats on not giving up and seeing it through! 

Jeep Wave

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #295 on: May 15, 2019, 07:10:48 AM »

Since this thing is going to be seeing more road time now I decided to move ahead and do at least something about the rusty/dented rocker panel on the driver's side.  Since this has been sitting outside through the winter and seeing miles here and there I've noticed the major spots begin to deteriorate more.  If I am going to have any hope or prayer at pulling this portion back out at all, there will still need to be solid metal to pull out when I do. 

Did some wire wheeling, a lot of abrasive disc'ing, 120, 220, 320, and 400, 4-5 light coats of primer, and 4-5 coats of silverstone metallic.  I didn't have quite enough clear coat on hand to get the clear sheen that I really wanted, but all in all I am satisfied and confident that this will hold up for the near future to stave off rust in this area.  I think the section blended pretty nicely.  From 8-10 feet away this also looks loads better than it did before.  Kind of like lipstick on a pig.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #296 on: May 15, 2019, 11:39:45 AM »

Looks better. I was wondering if you could still hang a door on it. Glad to see in the last pic that you can.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #297 on: May 16, 2019, 12:23:31 PM »

Teenie tiny mod: threw these trail mirrors on today in preparation for some OBX activities next week.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F9T1RP9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #298 on: May 16, 2019, 01:52:07 PM »

The paint looks awesome but with the door on you can really see how dented in it is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #299 on: May 16, 2019, 02:16:53 PM »

The paint looks awesome but with the door on you can really see how dented in it is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Agreed. One of these days I'm going to go at it with a porto-power kit and a tac-welding slide hammer dent puller, just haven't had the time.  It isn't a looker but it does drive pretty well, so there's that.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: