Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 19, 2019, 08:16:28 AM

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Silver Bullet - resurrection of a TJ  (Read 31954 times)
highlandercj-7
Member 2019
« Reply #345 on: September 12, 2019, 07:07:48 AM »

That is genius Grab a Wrench! Thank you Adam and Rich! I need to do this to my Ram. 

HighlanderCJ-7
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #346 on: September 12, 2019, 07:15:08 AM »

I wonder if you could regulate that with a compressor rather than a pump. Hmmmmmm

For sure, but I would turn the pressure wayyyyyyyy down and add some sort of a valved fitting at the end which you could lock open to keep the flow of smoke moving. I will say the foot pump worked great because it left both of my hands free for shifting lines around while I searched for leaks.  In fact, I would imagine that the foot pump is ideal in this situation for precisely that reason.  Also: the glass mason jar never got hot, just filled with smoke. It was barely warm enough for me to feel anything when I touched the outside after it had been cooking for 10+ minutes.  You'll want to leave this building smoke after you plug it in for at least 5-7 minutes.  

The soldering iron was $3.99 or $4.99 from HF, and the epoxy they had was like $1.49. Major expenses for this project were the baby oil and the one sock. My wife doesn't allow me to walk around in crappy socks so finding a sacrificial mate was truly the most daunting part of this project.

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #347 on: September 12, 2019, 07:23:31 AM »

I also found thisóa cracked/broken intake air temp sensor (someone correct me if Iím wrong). Iím wondering if this being cracked could somehow be throwing oddball voltages or spikes and causing a CEL? Either way, itís getting replaced.

Adam,

Good job on the smoke machine!  These are an invaluable tool when diagnosing vacuum leaks. Given you didn't find any major leaks, that broken IAT is likely your problem.  The two biggest signs of a faulty IAT are a significant loss of power and fuel mileage.  A broken IAT would have also tripped a code.  Did you read one?

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #348 on: September 12, 2019, 07:31:47 AM »

I wonder if you could regulate that with a compressor rather than a pump. Hmmmmmm

I use an old Rubicon pump on my setup.  The pump puts out 5 PSI, which is perfect.

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #349 on: September 12, 2019, 07:44:35 AM »

I also found thisóa cracked/broken intake air temp sensor (someone correct me if Iím wrong). Iím wondering if this being cracked could somehow be throwing oddball voltages or spikes and causing a CEL? Either way, itís getting replaced.

Adam,

Good job on the smoke machine!  These are an invaluable tool when diagnosing vacuum leaks. Given you didn't find any major leaks, that broken IAT is likely your problem.  The two biggest signs of a faulty IAT are a significant loss of power and fuel mileage.  A broken IAT would have also tripped a code.  Did you read one?

Two, one for a small evap leak and the other for a large leak. Hopefully can scoop a new sensor today and be done with this. And thanks for the idea on the machine, worked brilliantly and didn't cost me $500 from the Snap-On truck!

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
jwilson2598
Webmaster
BOD
« Reply #350 on: September 12, 2019, 12:50:37 PM »

I also found this—a cracked/broken intake air temp sensor (someone correct me if I’m wrong). I’m wondering if this being cracked could somehow be throwing oddball voltages or spikes and causing a CEL? Either way, it’s getting replaced.

Adam,

Is there a link somewhere on the parts and how to build one of these? I would love to make one for troubleshooting myself.

Jeff

2013 Unlimited Sahara, Gecko Green
AEV 2.5" lift, front/rear bumpers, hood, Argent Pintler wheels, 315/70/17 Duratracs.
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #351 on: September 12, 2019, 12:52:02 PM »

Adam,

Is there a link somewhere on the parts and how to build one of these? I would love to make one for troubleshooting myself.

I asked him nicely for a write up already. he said he should have it shortly

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #352 on: September 12, 2019, 05:45:29 PM »

Adam,

Jeff,

Here's one I've shared with several other people, who have then built one following the directions.

Grab a Wrench!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhNQiIRsCCk

jwilson2598
Webmaster
BOD
« Reply #353 on: September 12, 2019, 08:46:39 PM »

Adam,

Jeff,

Here's one I've shared with several other people, who have then built one following the directions.

Grab a Wrench!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhNQiIRsCCk

Thanks Rich!

Jeff

2013 Unlimited Sahara, Gecko Green
AEV 2.5" lift, front/rear bumpers, hood, Argent Pintler wheels, 315/70/17 Duratracs.
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #354 on: September 12, 2019, 10:50:13 PM »

Adam,

I asked him nicely for a write up already. he said he should have it shortly

The YouTube video is a huge help. But yes I will also throw together a write-up of what I used and know can be found NoVA-locally to be pinned as a sticky somewhere.

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #355 on: September 14, 2019, 01:44:48 PM »

Think Iíve got this one licked...

Throttle body gasket installed and torqued, IAT sensor installed. Battery was disconnected for 3-4 days so codes were gone (do these clear on their own?) and didnít come back in the few minutes I ran the Jeep in my garage. I threw this back together in 10 minutes this morning before I was headed out of town so didnít have a chance to test drive. Interested to see if it comes back after driving.

I took another look at the sensor...this could have easily been the culprit all along. I had never noticed this until I went to disconnect the TB connectors. Thereís no way this sensor was working...

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #356 on: September 16, 2019, 03:56:26 PM »

Good boxes checked over the past couple days!  The check engine light is gone, presumably fixed by the IAT sensor and/or the TB gasket.  Both were needed.

Also fitted some HD hardware in place of the crummy quick-disconnect fittings at the bottom of the sway bar links. These made 110% difference and the Jeep feels way more stiff at speed. That little bit of slop I felt when yanking on these translated to a whole bunch of slop on the road.

Finally, took the Jeep to Matchless Auto Body in Vienna, on Route 7. I heard the words of which I had only dreamed...: "if you aren't doing paint, we can do that for under a couple hundred bucks." SOLD.  I will get the driver's side rocker pulled next Tuesday and hopefully end up with a far closer door seal along the bottom of the door and a stiffer surface for mounting rock rails or rocker guards.  Very good news.

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #357 on: September 17, 2019, 05:24:11 AM »

Sounds like a great deal on the body work.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: